Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 05:58 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,359 times

Advertisements

One of my neighbors recently sold a house off market to a developer for $200,000 below market value.
He was the original owner from the 1950's.

He sold the house for $630k cash, and could have gotten at least $830k on the open market.

$830k with a 30 day escrow and mortgage is still way better than $630k in a 7-day escrow, wouldn't you agree?

I called one of these developers, pretending I wanted to sell my house, just to hear their sales pitch. They tell you all kinds of bulls*** to get you to sell your house to them for cash at undermarket value.
This particular developer was also a Realtor, and he was badmouthing other realtors to me over the phone. hahah.

What Code of ethics?

Because all the real estate brokerages here are members of the local realtor association, we are all required to become realtors and pay the fees. That doesn't mean anyone gives a crap about ethics if a big advantage is at stake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 06:53 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
So what is he planning to do, scrape the house and build a bigger one?

Old 06-18-2014, 08:31 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
One of my neighbors recently sold a house off market to a developer for $200,000 below market value.
Do you think he didn't have the right to sell his house?

Old 06-18-2014, 08:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
That old phrase "let the buyer beware" can also apply to sellers. The old guy still has $630k more than he did before, and no one twisted his arm. Anyone, realtor or not can make a similar offer to anyone, even you. Did you ever buy a new car and talk them down to below the asking price, which they could have gotten from someone else?

Old 06-18-2014, 10:25 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
A bird in the hand....

Maybe your neighbor didn't want to spend the time and energy marketing the property? Maybe they would have had to spend time and/or money fixing up the house? Maybe they knew the property wasn't worth more than $630?

Most people think their property is worth more than it really is. Maybe your neighbors were realistic.

Not sure what is funny about badmouthing other realtors?

Old 06-18-2014, 10:41 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So what is he planning to do, scrape the house and build a bigger one?
Yes. He will for sure knock it down and build a $2.5 million house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Do you think he didn't have the right to sell his house?
Sure he does. But developers try to trick these sellers into not selling on the open market, where there is more buyer competition.

These old sellers are not the most educated and they're gullible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post

Most people think their property is worth more than it really is. Maybe your neighbors were realistic.
In this case, I am sure it was worth much more than $630k. I did a CMA.
Land value in this area is worth more than that. Developers have paid more for similar properties nearby.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:52 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Well, there's a lot less hassle going with the cash offer.....A ton. Let's see, no sales commissions (6%), no buyer closing costs, limited to no legal fees, no fixing up the home to meet market demands. No inconvenience of being kicked out of the home while buyers come over and pick it apart. No continuous cleaning that wears down the soul. I can't find any fault, other than he hurt your resale value. That, and the fact you will be dealing with construction traffic.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Darn shame the former property owners did not hire a real estate broker to expose their property to a wider audience than the developer or insist on an appraisal or two before agreeing to sell.

When stuff like this happens it potentially impacts the value of all similar close by properties.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:04 AM

768 posts, read 859,614 times
Seems to me this owner was either a smart guy to take what he could get and he was motivated to sell....OR there was zero disclosure by this realtor/developer. Remember, just because you have a real estate license does not make you a Realtor.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:07 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Darn shame the former property owners did not hire a real estate broker to expose their property to a wider audience than the developer or insist on an appraisal or two before agreeing to sell.

When stuff like this happens it potentially impacts the value of all similar close by properties.
To this "old guy," maybe it wasn't about the money. In the last quarter of life, you stop worrying about how much money you leave to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals