Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 08:20 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
It seems as though it's not the marketing that's the biggest issue but the fabrication of facts.
Yes. While I do think it's pretty low to bother people with solicitations while they're grieving, the fabrication of facts is the larger issue. Soliciting people at happier times like the birth of a child, moving into a new home, or getting married is an entirely different thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 12:38 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,727 times
lying aside, when is it too soon?

From the soliciting agent's point of view, if he doesn't do it, someone else will.
Some people grieve for a year, some grieve for a month

Old 11-25-2014, 05:24 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post

From the soliciting agent's point of view, if he doesn't do it, someone else will.
I don't do a great many things that fit this description. Better to let other folks look like insensitive idiots than to try to compete for that title.

Ignorant marketing is ignorant marketing.
I mentioned that to a friend on another intrusive marketing practice, and he said, "I know, but it works." Yuck.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:38 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I'm aware of one agent locally that goes to estate sales and hits up the relatives there.
A retired agent in our office used to work the Obits and was fairly successful.

Kind of a very cold, cold call.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:36 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Soliciting people at happier times like the birth of a child, moving into a new home, or getting married is an entirely different thing.
So people grieving should receive no direction and no help? Thats ridiculous. They need tons of direction and as much info as possible to make informed decisions. There are hundreds of things to make decisions on including caskets, funeral services, limos, burial plots, legal troubles, asset sales, house sales, stock and bond sales, the list goes on and on.

If your a real estate agent, or selling anything else, you would benefit from being an agent who is good at working with sellers after a death in the family. Tell them you will take care of everything so they can grieve.

Each service has their own marketing material. To say that real estate is any different than any of these other services, your just getting emotional and not seeing the fact that these people do need help

Old 11-25-2014, 10:21 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post

So by your logic, if someone else is willing to lie about how many units they've sold in a condo association then I should do the same. I think you need to put some serious thought into the way you conduct your business if you truly believe what you wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
So people grieving should receive no direction and no help? Thats ridiculous. They need tons of direction and as much info as possible to make informed decisions. There are hundreds of things to make decisions on including caskets, funeral services, limos, burial plots, legal troubles, asset sales, house sales, stock and bond sales, the list goes on and on.

If your a real estate agent, or selling anything else, you would benefit from being an agent who is good at working with sellers after a death in the family. Tell them you will take care of everything so they can grieve.

Each service has their own marketing material. To say that real estate is any different than any of these other services, your just getting emotional and not seeing the fact that these people do need help
People grieving should absolutely get whatever help they need. However, they don't need a real estate agent immediately in their face saying "hire me! hire me!" before the body even gets cold. Chances are, other professionals they know and trust (perhaps the attorney responsible for the estate) can refer them to an agent who can advise them on how to handle the deceased's former home when the time is right.

From a personal perspective, any solicitation like that which shows up at my house would immediately get thrown in the recycling bin.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:15 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
the lying about the sales is disgusting. without knowing how much time had passed (you haven't said), whether the solicitation was disgusting or not is truly a matter of opinion.

before the funeral/service - I'd agree and assume most would.

What about the day after the funeral? It probably doesn't portray an agent the right way....but of course, what if the deceased was in a declining state, refused to leave the home for years, and now relief had washed over the family? They might like/admire/be attracted to an agent they felt was "aggressive". What if the surviving family all live out of town/state and would have no idea what Realtor to hire.

And the number of folks who use an estate attorney is very small. Still, is an agent who networks with and "sells to" that attorney disgusting? I would assume not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals