Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 09:12 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times

Advertisements

I'm considering getting my real estate sales license after we move this year. We are moving from Louisiana to Arkansas. I've always had interest in real estate and feel now would be a great time to get started being that my kids are grown and I have an open schedule. I was a wedding and portrait photographer for the past 9 years and did everything myself for running the business. This gives me experience in marketing myself and dealing with the general public. What I'm not familiar with it the cost involved. What are the yearly fees for licensing, continued education, and what are the monthly broker fees to work under one?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 05:23 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
You might get a more focused response if you post this in the Arkansas forum.

The greatest wild card is the brokerage fees. There is a wide range in brokerage models, and the fees vary tremendously to reflect the details of a model. Regardless of the cost of affiliation, be certain to join a brokerage where you get the support and training you need to survive and prosper.
If you go to a brokerage that provides "everything," i.e., signs, cards, lockboxes, website, email, "free" printing, you may pay 50% of any commission generated, plus a monthly fee for a desk, plus E&O insurance, plus a fee for any leads the brokerage provides to you.
If you go to a flat fee brokerage, assuming there are some around, you may pay as little as $75/month and a fee per transaction from $250--$600.
You will probably get better training and support with the higher costs. Good training and support are not without cost, and you will need that training to get started right. The trap is the dependency on very expensive "free" stuff.
You will be trying to build a business. Wherever you land, make sure you "own" the contacts you generate, and can take them with you should you ever leave the firm.
Read any agreement presented to you closely. If the firm presses you to sign in a rush, you are in the wrong place from the get-go.

NAR, NCAR, and RRAR (Realtor associations) fees cost me about $500/year.
MLS costs me $50/month.
License is $40/year in NC.
CE is about $110/year.
You should know many costs of marketing and self-promotion already.
There are other things like cloud services, cell phones, computers, but you probably have all that sorted out.

All in all, it is a fairly inexpensive business to be in, as long as you make good decisions and reverse poor decisions quickly. And as long as you write business to cover costs.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:29 AM

Thank you so much, very valuable information. I will be doing my homework for the next several months until we are settled in our new home. I appreciate any advice given in this thread. I'm all ears.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:52 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Random thoughts -

My knee-jerk answer is to tell you to expect $2000 to get in the door to where you can actually write a contract. Add another $2000 - $2500 for marketing campaigns and strategic advertising and you will be on your way (be very judicious, you can suck up your entire budget in advertising).

A clean car is a must, although with GPS and kid safety seats, clients traveling in their own car is becoming more common. I know of one agent that rides a motorcycle.

Become a Facebook expert, sign up with Linkedin and Twitter. Strategically friend and connect with everyone you meet. Everyone will become important when you make you announcement. And, you will be light years ahead of other new Realtors. Also, when advertising, the neat thing about real estate, the only ones the know you are new are other Realtors. The general public really does not know how new you are to the business.

Get your license ASAP. The worse that can happen besides spending ~$500 for the course (and some companies will reimburse you the tuition from your first transaction) is you will come away with a greater understanding of someone's single largest investment.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:31 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,667 times
$2000-2400ish a year and no monthly fees. Depends on the broker though.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Random thoughts -

My knee-jerk answer is to tell you to expect $2000 to get in the door to where you can actually write a contract. Add another $2000 - $2500 for marketing campaigns and strategic advertising and you will be on your way (be very judicious, you can suck up your entire budget in advertising).

A clean car is a must, although with GPS and kid safety seats, clients traveling in their own car is becoming more common. I know of one agent that rides a motorcycle.

Become a Facebook expert, sign up with Linkedin and Twitter. Strategically friend and connect with everyone you meet. Everyone will become important when you make you announcement. And, you will be light years ahead of other new Realtors. Also, when advertising, the neat thing about real estate, the only ones the know you are new are other Realtors. The general public really does not know how new you are to the business.

Get your license ASAP. The worse that can happen besides spending ~$500 for the course (and some companies will reimburse you the tuition from your first transaction) is you will come away with a greater understanding of someone's single largest investment.
Love the marketing advice. Although I did market myself as a photographer, it was a very different business and different clientele.

I'd love to get my license now, but I live in Louisiana. We are about to sell our house and we're looking to move either to northern Arkansas or southern Missouri. They are not reciprocating states so I don't want to do the course and get licensed and wind up living in a different state. Any ideas?

Old 01-03-2015, 10:08 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Love the marketing advice. Although I did market myself as a photographer, it was a very different business and different clientele.

I'd love to get my license now, but I live in Louisiana. We are about to sell our house and we're looking to move either to northern Arkansas or southern Missouri. They are not reciprocating states so I don't want to do the course and get licensed and wind up living in a different state. Any ideas?
Once you know if Arkansas or Missouri, buy the text book and start reading. I know many swear by online classes - I recommend actual classroom. Real Estate is a people business where the internet is a tool, not an internet business where people are a tool.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:20 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Once you know if Arkansas or Missouri, buy the text book and start reading. I know many swear by online classes - I recommend actual classroom. Real Estate is a people business where the internet is a tool, not an internet business where people are a tool.
A great classroom instructor who brings real personal experience and can answer questions can really help a newbie.
And, the coffee breaks and conversations also add something to the educational experience.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:00 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
I did a combo program where I could do both. I think I only missed one live class. I found them very, very helpful. The instructor had been an agent for 30 years and had so many great stories to share that really helped with understanding the material.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:13 AM

Thank you to all who took the time to comment, very much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals