Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you work on Sunday?
I work Sundays!!! 18 90.00%
I take every single Sunday off!!! 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 01:24 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,065,564 times

Advertisements

So as I mentioned another time, I follow a few real estate agent Facebook groups. I think this latest discussion about working on Sundays may be the last straw and I'm going to stop.

Anyway, the whole thing started because an agent was venting about sending a showing request today and the agent replied back that they and their team don't work on Sundays. The agent who started the discussion was really venting about the fact that the other agent replied but only to say they weren't working. In the same amount of time, they could have addressed the issue at hand. A number of other agents then started posting that they couldn't believe a real estate agent wouldn't work on Sunday and the whole thing went off the tracks. The non-Sunday agents were offended and the Sunday agents were incredulous that there were agents who don't work on Sunday.

I take the occasional day off myself, but typically it's a day M-F. Every now and then, I need to take a weekend day off though, but it seems to me that if you feel you need the entire day off every single Sunday that maybe you shouldn't be a real estate agent or a golf pro.

I'm curious to hear if anyone here takes every single Sunday off or what their general thoughts on the subject are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 02:10 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,310,503 times
I will work with clients from 1-4pm on Sundays for either showings or an occasional open house. I answer my phone, return emails, submit offers, ect at all kinds of ridiculous hours 7 days a week however. I'm still striving for a family/work life balance; it's difficult. I'm with you though, I don't see how an agent can take off Sundays completely; though I'm totally jealous! It might depend on the part of the country where these agents are located too.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:14 PM

45,556 posts, read 60,809,385 times
There are some jobs that aren't Monday-Friday. Real estate is one of them. A good businessman, no matter the business, is available when his clients are free to shop for whatever. Real estate is no different.

Thinking back on when I worked a swing shift and got one full weekend off every 13 weeks I just shake my head at "work/life balance".

Old 03-08-2015, 02:35 PM

43,378 posts, read 77,299,991 times
I work any time I want to or need to. And, sometimes when I don't really want to.

Weekends, I work enough of them, Saturday and Sunday, I don't worry if nothing comes up for a particular weekend and I am stuck spending it with Heart Throb.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:47 PM

2,641 posts, read 7,446,995 times
I'm working all the time, doesn't matter the day. I'm young & single so clients feel they can bother me any day at any time. I don't remember the last day 'OFF' I had, other than once when it snowed so much, I didn't leave the house but was still taking calls.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:32 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,902,320 times
As a consumer, in Denver, I can tell you that Sunday's are a huge day for open houses (except when the Broncos are on TV).
With the current Denver market of: list on Friday afternoon and go under contract Monday morning; everyone (buyers, sellers, agents) have to work on Sundays.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:37 PM

15,598 posts, read 40,508,735 times
I don't typically work Sundays. I can't take everyone off, but I work either Saturday or Sunday and it is rare that I have to work both days. I'm available by phone/email though to answer questions so I guess it depends on how you define "off."

Old 03-08-2015, 06:59 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,065,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
It might depend on the part of the country where these agents are located too.
I guess if you're in the bible belt people aren't asking for showings on Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
As a consumer, in Denver, I can tell you that Sunday's are a huge day for open houses (except when the Broncos are on TV).
With the current Denver market of: list on Friday afternoon and go under contract Monday morning; everyone (buyers, sellers, agents) have to work on Sundays.
It's the same thing around here. Put it in MLS Wed/Thur/Fri, host open houses on Sat & Sun, and review offers on Monday.

Patriots games seriously reduce the attendance at an open house around here. Of course, the football game affect lasted a few more Sundays here than it did for most other areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I don't typically work Sundays. I can't take everyone off, but I work either Saturday or Sunday and it is rare that I have to work both days. I'm available by phone/email though to answer questions so I guess it depends on how you define "off."
I don't work every Sunday either. However, if people ask me to work then I do. What I'm talking about is agents who flat out refuse to work on Sunday. A client asks them to do a showing and they say "no." If someone is taking a hard line like this then it's likely they're not answering their phone either.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:50 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,680,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I guess if you're in the bible belt people aren't asking for showings on Sunday.
Uh, wrong. Not everyone who lives in the Bible Belt goes to church. :-)

We work on Sundays. Saturdays. Evenings. It's not work if it's fun. :-) Several agents around here have a message on their phone, "Unless we are in active negotiations, if this message is after 7 pm, I will return your call promptly tomorrow morning." They are usually agents with young children, who are desperately trying to carve out some family time with their kiddies, manage homework, etc.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:34 PM

652 posts, read 1,306,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Wish we were like that here ... our average days on the market is 90 - 120.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals