Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,797 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just past my real estate test and am a real estate assistant to a realtor. I want to hang my license with a cooperating (different) broker than my employer is affiliated with.

I want to keep working for her as a licensed assistant but work on the weekends growing my own thing. Honestly, it's largely a financial issue. I need to do this on the side, find a new job or get a second job.
I know that there are ethical/loyalty concerns, but the same can be said if I work for her as a licensed assistant affiliated with her brokerage. I'd still be exposed to the same information.

She is against this and has flat out said I cannot work for her and hang my license with a different brokerage, citing the broker will not allow it.

I don't like the broker who runs the office we are at, I don't like the new agent split and I do not like the level of services that are offered for the percentage, and thats at almost any %. We've been here a couple of years and had to fight for every little thing.

Has anyone ever done this or experienced it? Is there any legal issues why this would be a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 09:55 PM

502 posts, read 895,726 times
I can't imagine how that would ever be allowed. You are asking for too much. You need to decide if you want to remain an assistant or go out on your own. You can't do both.

As for legal reasons - imagine you have a buyer that is interested in a house being offered by the agent you work part time for? That's a big conflict of interest mess.

Look for a new company that will give you great training and support. Find another part time job if you need to.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:53 AM

729 posts, read 1,504,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojow View Post
As for legal reasons - imagine you have a buyer that is interested in a house being offered by the agent you work part time for? That's a big conflict of interest mess.
EXACTLY. Working in one office and hanging your license at another is a huge conflict of interest and could get you in hot water down the road. VERY BAD IDEA

Old 03-07-2015, 09:14 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
No broker will allow that since you have access to files and transactions at two separate offices. You can see the potential breech of confidentiality issues/conflict of interest at play if you were to be working a deal at your new office and your buyer wants to buy a listing from the agent you work for.

Once you are licensed you are licensed. You would be a licensed real estate assistant at your old office requiring you to hang your license there. I can't image real estate licensing rules would allow it. Get another job to carry you while you build your business with the new office.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:30 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkyoyie View Post
She is against this and has flat out said I cannot work for her and hang my license with a different brokerage, citing the broker will not allow it.
This is totally understandable. The potential conflict of interest issues would be untenable. You simply have a choice to make. Which do you want to do?

Old 03-08-2015, 11:03 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Read your licensing rules.
You probably must have permission from both managing brokers ( Qualifying broker, BIC, whatever they are called where you are) to work under two brokers.
It may be less of an issue if you are working in two distinctly separate MLSs and regions, but I sure wouldn't allow it if you were hanging your license with me and wanted to hang it down the street.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:04 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
I wouldn't allow that either way.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:07 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
No reasonable person would ever agree to this arrangement. While it's clearly the perfect arrangement for you, there's no way you would ever find someone to agree to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals