Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 07:17 PM

6 posts, read 13,236 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I both signed an Exclusive Right to Represent through our broker in Florida. Given this is the first time either of us have been in the market for a home and even worked with a broker - we are both new to this. We put in an offer for a home last month and during the process of signing the required paperwork, the agent had us sign a Exclusive Right to Represent document that name both my wife and I together as "buyer"

Here is our issue... Given that we have agreed to work with our agent (which we do love and trust her judgement) - we are bound to pay them 3% of purchase price if we purchase a home from A. another broker and or B. By Owner.

Here is the issue: We just found "the house" we have been looking for. Problem is the home is for sale by owner and we would want to purchase it without a broker representative. Because the Exclusive Right to Represent document lists my wife and I as the "Buyer" could we get around having to pay the broker their 3% if my wife buys the for sale by owner home with her name only and or her and my mother in-law? Just trying to see how we can get around this agreement because this house is hot and we are ready to move on it ASAP.

Thank you very much in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 08:07 PM

502 posts, read 896,379 times
Grab hold of your morals and do the right thing. First of all, have you asked the FSBO owner if they will pay your agent the 3%? Many FSBO are willing to work with agents.

Second, if your wife's name is on the contract, then I don't know how you could get around it. I'm not an attorney so I'm sure there could be some shady way of doing it, but really, o you want to be that person?

Also, you admit you are new to real estate. How do you know what you are doing? How do you know if the house you want is priced correctly?

You will probably need to have an attorney look at the contract to tell you if you can get around it with just your wife's name or if you can do something else. You better be sure because otherwise I think your agent can sue you.

The bottom line is that you have to decide what kind of person you want to be.

One more thing...if you have just begun your search or haven't even started and the agent has not spent any time or money on you - you might ask her if you can just be released from the contract. If she has already shown you homes and spent time and energy with you and you still want to dump her to save a few bucks...well...

Old 04-26-2015, 08:56 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
If one of your names appear on the deed you owe that agent 3%. Have your buyer agent get involved and they can negotiate payment of their fee by the seller directly.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:20 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailallstar View Post
if my wife buys the for sale by owner home with her name only and or her and my mother in-law?
Stupid, stupid, stupid. Do you really want YOUR home owned by your wife and her mother?????? You, as husband, will be signing a quit claim deed - signing away all your rights to that house. Regardless of how wonderful your marriage and your MIL are, look at the divorce rates and that should make you reconsider this idea.

And possibly mortgage fraud, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
If one of your names appear on the deed you owe that agent 3%. Have your buyer agent get involved and they can negotiate payment of their fee by the seller directly.
Excellent advice, both for your long term sanity, legally, and morally.

And have your agent check on the price of the SOLD comps of this perfect house. How much you wanna bet the FSBO is overpriced based on that information?

Old 04-26-2015, 01:16 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
The agent does more than find a home so the fact you found a FSBO is sort of immaterial. The agent can still help you through negotiations, inspections, and closing.

The agency does bind you. Have you seen the home yet, and if so why didn't you include your agent initially?

Old 04-26-2015, 02:24 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,994 times
Trolling? Asking a bunch of real estate agents what the best way is to screw a (lovable and trustworthy) agent out of compensation, that was agreed to in writing, seems specifically designed to ruffle some feathers. If you're serious, you need to ask a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals