Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:56 PM

540 posts, read 2,173,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Isn't that showing on the MLS?
At least in Florida it shows, contract pending or you can what has been sold lately.
The MLS can only show what they know; what is entered by the individual real estate office. If that information is not public record, it may not be something that SHOULD be disclosed.

It MAY show in the MLS that sale is Contingent or Pending, but the PRICE very likely will not reflect the eventual SOLD price. It would be a potential disadvantage to the seller to post information that shows an accepted offer at less than the asking price...if the sale were to fail it would hurt their negotiating ability, wouldn't it?

SOLD prices are typically only put into the MLS once the sale is recorded and even THEN you won't necessarily have any idea of concessions that were included at that price. If, for example the seller gave $3000 in closing costs, that is not reflected anywhere in the public record. Appraisers typically call agents to find that info out, and there is some debate as to whether or not we are legally able to give that information out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 10:48 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
How do you know the appraisal was not misleading?
If the property appraises for $1.05M, and she buys it for $1.2M... What part of this could be mis-leading? HER OWN APPRAISAL SHOWED SHE OVERPAID...

Old 01-28-2008, 12:07 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,182 times
Quote:
Isn't that showing on the MLS?
At least in Florida it shows, contract pending or you can what has been sold lately.
In massachusetts until a property is recorded at the registry of deeds what it sells for is not public knowledge. Typically a property is recorded the day of the closing so if these people closed at the same time as the house down the street the agent would not know what the close price is/was on the other house until after it was recorded. the close price is private information until the recording no ifs ands or buts.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:56 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
So if the seller orders an appraisal and during the course of that appraisal a latent fact effecting the value of that property is discovered, a later appraisal is done and the fact is not discovered and buyer buys without any knowledge of the fact, you think that is OK?
Well if the seller knowing hides a defect they are indeed liable. Here in SC it's required they do a prop. disclosure and list everything on there. An appraisal in not an inspection. What do you think the appraisal would show you? I really don't understand your post.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:12 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Not sarcasm at all, did you read the article?

This is not an instance of a skewed appraisal. The story states that the buyers appraisal showed a value of $1.05M, but they paid $1.2M for their home. They chose to pay more money for the home then the appraisal showed it was worth.

In this instance, the appraisal was not misleading, she chose to ignore it. Do not blame the appraiser for her stupidity.
Most of you know I am not an agent.. I am a buyer & seller. This case has peaked my interest very much, so much that I've been keeping some tabs on it via google.

IMO, I think they think they overpaid and are trying to get compensation from the agent. Buyers remorse. Had they been the seller and gotten top dollar for the house, would they be sharing it with the agent? No. How would the seller feel if the agent sued them?

My parents bought & sold in this same market the Ummels did but in NJ. Unfortunately, they spent more on their new house (which close in July 2005) then they got for their old (closed in March 2006) as they sold after they bought the new & listed in October 2005. There was one particular person that held up the sale of the old house; would I have liked to take his butt to court? You bet. Had this guy not held up my parents house (we were naive) they very well could have gotten more as the market started dropping during this time.

I've come across some links that I'd like to share that puts more light on the story. One came from Active Rain, while the other I've supplied to a few blogs about this story at Active Rain..

Comps for the property in question - got this from someone else.

This is a link I found on my own which tells another story.. Couple, Feeling They've Been Wronged, Picket Re/Max

Now, in that article, some key points:
1. The house in question cost more than a million dollars. After selling their other home in San Rafael, they needed a $300,000 mortgage on the Carlsbad property.

2. Direct quote: In the heated real estate market that peaked near the end of 2005, real estate prices soared, and buyers often bid much higher than sellers had asked for. But they usually did so knowing what the comparable sales in the neighborhood had been. The Ummels say Little didn't provide the appraisal of the property until a week before they closed the sale. And when it did come, it matched the seller's asking price exactly, and was based on sales that actually had larger lot sizes and better amenities, Marti Ummel said.

3. They started working with him in May 2005, looked at houses for 2 weekends, looking at over 50 homes

4. On May 29, they made an offer on a four-bedroom, 3,697-sq-ft home in the Serenada neighborhood in Carlsbad. The seller, a real estate agent, had advertised a selling price of $1.175 million for the home. The Ummels made an offer at that price, owner/agent countered with a $1.2 million price. They agreed to pay that, even though they hadn't seen (at the time) an independent appraisal on the property.

5. Another point lists who they are settling with.. It lists the company name their agent was a mortgage broker with, and says it was him that made the loan, which is legal in that state from other things I've read. They were seeking $20,000 from those 2 co-defendants.

I've read that the Ummels have spent way more then $75,000 on legal fees, about twice that. According to the Zillow page for their home, they are paying taxes on the assessed value of $542,462, which has gone down since 2005 ($667,945)

From what I've read, had the agent shown them the other house (which may not have been available), I don't think his commission would be that much less, so it makes no sense. I also don't doubt that the Ummels told their agent.. we want such & such and don't want such & such.. so as an agent he finds houses to show them in their price range. I expect this of an agent, especially 2 years ago when there weren't many sites buyers could go to.

I'm pretty sure I saw the other house in question on a map and they would have driven by it. As a buyer in 2007, my hubby & I drove around communities we liked, looking for for sale signs. There were 3 times that I went out with my agent, stopped in front of a house that wasn't picked up in my search, my agent called. In each case there were reasons why the house did not come up.. a pool would be one of them as we do not want one.

I've also read (unofficially, no link) that some of the houses in question had value range pricing, which is pretty popular in CA, and from what I've read, during this particular market, very effective for getting the top price, which was what the market in 2005 was like from our experience.

If the agent did something wrong with also being the mortgage broker and not providing comps / appraisal (they only needed a $300,000 mortgage) then he should be fined.

All of the facts are not known for sure, but reading bits and pieces can give a decent idea of what is going on. I for one think that giving an attorney money, especially in a case like this could very well be a frivolous lawsuit. Although I have not watched the video clip from Good Morning America, from what I've read about it, it appears Mr Ummel isn't really involved in this.

edit - I fotgot to mention the other agent here, the one who's flier is being used. I feel bad for her because now she has to get an attorney. I'm not sure if her husband is representing her. She's quoted as saying “People are responsible for their own decisions,” said Ms. Hokkanen, who has been subpoenaed as a defense witness. It also says she is sympathetic to Mr. Little, which tells me there are things we do not know.

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-09-2008 at 06:47 AM..

Old 02-09-2008, 07:58 AM

982 posts, read 3,307,304 times
Roselvr - I've also been following this story with great interest. Earlier this week, I contacted Eric Bramlett with a few questions to pass on to his buddy in California, who provided those comps and knows the area well. He said the property was originally advertised as having a view deck off of the master bedroom - that would include the golf course and a view of a lagoon about 1/2 mile away. I don't know how the other house is situated, but if that property didn't include a comparable view, that makes a difference. (I should check out google maps and see if I can find out )

There are a laundry list of things I don't like about this case. I am anxious to see how it turns out.

Also, the Today Show has the interview video on its website if you'd like to catch it:

Home buyer who overpaid sues her agent - TODAY: People - MSNBC.com

Old 02-09-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
Roselvr - I've also been following this story with great interest. Earlier this week, I contacted Eric Bramlett with a few questions to pass on to his buddy in California, who provided those comps and knows the area well. He said the property was originally advertised as having a view deck off of the master bedroom - that would include the golf course and a view of a lagoon about 1/2 mile away. I don't know how the other house is situated, but if that property didn't include a comparable view, that makes a difference. (I should check out google maps and see if I can find out )

There are a laundry list of things I don't like about this case. I am anxious to see how it turns out.

Also, the Today Show has the interview video on its website if you'd like to catch it:

Home buyer who overpaid sues her agent - TODAY: People - MSNBC.com
I'd be interested to hear about that!
We recently bought in a community. We looked at a lot of different lots with various costs. Of course the cheaper lots left a lot to be desired in our case. From what I read about Mrs. Hokkanen's listing (the one that sold for less) while it had a pool, the backyard was not as private either. I can't tell you how many lots like this we passed up. We chose our lot due to the privacy. I also do not feel we are comparing apples to apples.

Thanks for the link to the video. One of the reasons I haven't watched it is because my sound isn't working, I don't use sound to begin with. I build / fix computers and have a few other machines that have to get working 1st.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:34 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
this time.

Direct quote: In the heated real estate market that peaked near the end of 2005, real estate prices soared, and buyers often bid much higher than sellers had asked for. But they usually did so knowing what the comparable sales in the neighborhood had been. The Ummels say Little didn't provide the appraisal of the property until a week before they closed the sale. And when it did come, it matched the seller's asking price exactly, and was based on sales that actually had larger lot sizes and better amenities, Marti Ummel said.
I am holding that they bought at the peak and now their house is worth less than they paid and so this has to be someone's fault, other than their own.

They were putting more than 75% down on the house and most likely the appraisal was a drive bye. Most lender appraisals manage to value at exactly what the buyers agreed to pay, especially in a market with a lot of momentum.

Pending sales are always a risk because no one know the price till it closes.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am holding that they bought at the peak and now their house is worth less than they paid and so this has to be someone's fault, other than their own.

They were putting more than 75% down on the house and most likely the appraisal was a drive bye. Most lender appraisals manage to value at exactly what the buyers agreed to pay, especially in a market with a lot of momentum.

Pending sales are always a risk because no one know the price till it closes.

From what I've read, the appraiser used was good at appraising high.. for what I don't know since they only needed a mortgage of $300k. After they looked at 50 houses, cancelled sales on 2 houses and fired one agent, I doubt a lower appraisal would have stopped them from buying..

Thing is the market went down when they closed and they seem like the type of people that have to blame someone God forbid they actually own up to buying at the wrong time.

Unfortunately, the agent will probably have to pay some kind of fine. Hopefully he can recover after this as I don't doubt he's lost business. Wouldn't it be a kick if he turned around and sued her for slander or something? She may then turn around and sue her attorney for charging her too much or saying he gave her bad advice.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:21 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
According to the Zillow page for their home, they are paying taxes on the assessed value of $542,462, which has gone down since 2005 ($667,945)
Just an FYI, In CA the County Assessor is permitted to assess the property for the amount it sells for. They would be paying taxes on the sales price. Just another instance of Zillow being wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals