Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:29 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times

Advertisements

I am going to be getting my real estate license. I am already knowledgable in the field though as my father owns three real estate companies so i have grown up knowing all about it.

Anyhow.. I have two young children and was considering not taking the test until they are in school FT. BUT...have also played with the idea of taking it soon and only working PT. My father does not accept part time agents...do any real estate places accept them? If so do you think it would be too much being a SAHM and PT real estate agent.

Any opinions appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 09:05 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
I recommend asking your father why he doesn't hire part time real estate agents. Perhaps he has an excellent reason and would be happy to explain it to you.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:06 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,843,475 times
i'm not a fan of part time agents. you can't serve two masters : ) Instead how about working for an agent? assistant with a license is always a good thing. you will learn on your schedule... and not feel pulled in a million directions... Obviously your father must feel the same way about part time agents.

shelly

Old 01-23-2008, 12:50 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,471 times
There are always places that will take part time agents and there are always plenty of people working part-time as agents. However, real estate is every bit as demanding as being a full-time mom. Clients are not going to care if your kid has a fever and can't go to daycare on the day you are supposed to show them properties or have their house on broker caravan. They will want your time when they need it.

Working as a part-time assistant on a really good team might be a good solution. You won't make much money, but you will have flexibility and will be learning a lot. Starting up in real estate also tends to cost a pretty penny and working as an assistant would keep you from having a lot of those up-front expenses.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:01 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
You can do it! Part-time agents who work alone nearly always under-perform, but in a team setting, you can contribute greatly. What state?

Old 01-23-2008, 11:36 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,952,077 times
As we see the decline in home prices and not enough buyers, we're going to see a lot of part-time agents.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:57 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I am going to be getting my real estate license. I am already knowledgable in the field though as my father owns three real estate companies so i have grown up knowing all about it.

Anyhow.. I have two young children and was considering not taking the test until they are in school FT. BUT...have also played with the idea of taking it soon and only working PT. My father does not accept part time agents...do any real estate places accept them? If so do you think it would be too much being a SAHM and PT real estate agent.

Any opinions appreciated.
Most big companies don't care if you are part time of not. As long as they get their monthly desk fee and split of whatever you sell on the plan you negotiate.

I have to agree with the others that real estate part time would be a disservice to your clients.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:15 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
i'm not a fan of part time agents. you can't serve two masters : ) Instead how about working for an agent? assistant with a license is always a good thing. you will learn on your schedule... and not feel pulled in a million directions... Obviously your father must feel the same way about part time agents.

shelly
This is sound advice.

Working for another agent or team will give you valuable experience and eliminate the cost of being a potentially unproductive part time agent in training.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:47 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
I am always looking for new people to fill roles in my firm. I have found however, that its the agent's attitude that makes the difference. Which job is full time? If you are working for peanuts but 40 hrs a week, and you can make more in a month selling real estate part time, then why does the boss of the 40hr job get precident?

Old 01-28-2008, 01:52 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,843,475 times
Tom, I don't think the Original Poster is juggling two jobs (but I do see your point). She is wanting to juggle her family committments and work. It makes it difficult. I think she could look to become a buyers agent on a team, and have some flexibility.. or work as an assistant... she could sit some open houses on the weekend. there are options.

shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals