Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 07:45 AM

200 posts, read 555,105 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'd love some guidance on how to respond to a buyer who is very difficult and who is extremely demanding.

In a nutshell, he is from NYC and is buying for first time in NJ. I'm sure they do things differently in NY hence his expectations of me. We are on his third deal, the first two fell through but this one has stuck so far. There are inspection issues which the sellers are getting through but they are slow as they both work full time. The sellers agent is on it and has been keeping me up to date on whats going on and we check in with each other every other day. She has had the sellers provide a detailed list of whats being done and when its being done etc. so that everyone knows what's going on, but the attorneys are not asking for anything....Doesn't help that the sellers attorney is a non real estate attorney and is on vacation.

The attorneys have not communicated well with no follow up etc and a lot of radio silence and he doesn't believe that his attorney should be sending letters, he thinks I should be doing all of what in other transactions has been the attorneys role. I've tried explaining that in NJ this is typically the attorney's role but he won't listen. Hes's the kind of guy who talks at you and is always right.

I don't mind doing all the work and have a good relationship with the sellers agent and we are getting there, but he is getting anxious and is threatening to kill the deal because things aren't going his way. We are less than 3 weeks away from closing! The septic failed and understandably he wants to know the numbers they are going to credit but they are getting their third estimate tomorrow, so have not finished yet. They will get the numbers over to us once they've looked at all three. This is not good enough for him and wants resolution today. Agent has said that they are providing a credit, he just wants to know how much.

I understand some of his frustrations, but this happens a lot and he just needs to have a little patience. We will get there.

So, after a brief history, my question is this, what would you do/say when he says that my role is to negotiate and determine the business terms of the deal not the attorney?

He is finally getting his attorney involved as he is somehow frustrated with me and will be sending out a deadline of the end of this week to get answers on everything or he is walking away. I am exhausted with him and would like your expert guidance on how to respond to him. Just as an aside, I have done my job on all three properties, checking with township issues, researching the property, looking at surveys and helping with set backs for pool etc all things that I would normally be involved in, I just don't think that legally I should be negotiating the terms of the deal!!??

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 12:13 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
That's a good question/point/issue let's ask your attorney for direction.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:57 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen123RE View Post
Hi there,

I'd love some guidance on how to respond to a buyer who is very difficult and who is extremely demanding.

I understand some of his frustrations, but this happens a lot and he just needs to have a little patience. We will get there.

So, after a brief history, my question is this, what would you do/say when he says that my role is to negotiate and determine the business terms of the deal not the attorney?

Thanks guys!
Explain to him that it is against the law for you to practice law which is what you would be doing and that is what the real estate attorney is for. Remember, if you mess up, he can hold you liable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals