Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 07:16 AM

45,571 posts, read 60,866,670 times

Advertisements

An illustration of how inaccurate Zillow can be, the location for my house it shows on the map is two blocks away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 08:10 AM

174 posts, read 171,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Hey Professionals, what's up with fraudulently listing the square footage of the lot as the square footage of the house?

Either this is done as a gimic (which is wrong and constitutes fraud / false advertisement in my eyes) or it's done out of ignorance and lack of proper training in using the listing services. I'm leaning toward it being a gimic given how obnoxiously prevalent this tactic has become. This cannot simply be attributed to a mistake or two here and there. I've also noticed this tactic in the time I've been shopping for a home become an increasing trend.

Please police up your own problem makers[/b] because your problem causers blemish the good agents as well.

All of the listings you cited are correct in the MLS for that area (had a broker friend in that area check them), so as others have stated, it's a Zillow problem, not the agent's. I think it's a fairly well-known issue, at least among people who have done their research, that Zillow does have problems pulling data correctly from the hundreds of MLS systems from which it sources listings. I have seen inaccuracies with square footage, location, neighborhoods, school info, listing status, etc... none of which agreed with the "original" listing.

If you are only using Zillow for your search, then good luck. I don't know many agents that endorse it as a reliable data source. This is not to say that square footage can be 'off' in a listing, but most agents I know will list their source for that number (such as public record) and disclose whether it includes or does not include a portion of the house such as a finished basement or porch. As with any profession, there are those that are careless and those that engage in deceptive practices, but in this instance I don't believe the agent had anything to do with the problem. Might be a good idea to cross-reference to other sites if you see what appears to be inaccurate data in the future...

Check the Realtor.com entry for the first listing you cited (it matches the MLS listing, unlike the Zillow entry):

308 7th Ave Ne, Glen Burnie, MD 21060 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Old 02-14-2016, 08:59 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,556,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Hey Professionals, what's up with fraudulently listing the square footage of the lot as the square footage of the house?
You ask:

Quote:
So why the abundance of innacurate listings? .
Here is one answer:

Quote:
When I do searches on Zillow

Old 02-14-2016, 09:05 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,965,598 times
The industry views Zillow as the court jester. As soon as the word Zillow is heard, the information is not deemed reliable. However, since the consumer has placed so much faith in this advertising site, Realtors and loan officers are working the site for the leads generated, when they really would like nothing to do with it.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:17 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,265,057 times
As much as Realtors want to hate on Zillow, the listing agents are responsible for many of the errors. I just got back to the office from showing houses this morning. A 4 bedroom concrete block home on my list turned out to be a 2 bedroom wood frame house with a third "bedroom" in a separate structure in the back yard. Thank you Mr. Can't Be Bothered listing agent.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:47 AM

820 posts, read 1,075,219 times
I finally received a response back from yesterday's request via Zillow to the listing agent mentioned in OP. It was someone else from their office with a generic response. I would think it was an autoresponder, but it took them nearly a day for it to trigger. It included a statement to let them know if I had any additional questions. I replied, my question was in the original response. They responded, sorry, I didn't see it. I asked again why the discrepancy. They have not yet responded to that. Unfortunately, I feel if I posted I wanted to see the home, the agent would already be there. They did just respond as I was typing this saying "Yeah they got it wrong. duly noted. Thank you." It will be interesting to see if it is corrected or not.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:31 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,270,754 times
Knock knock
Who's there?
Not the original drive by poster!

Old 02-18-2016, 08:03 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,311,968 times
I notice you're talking about Maryland. Assuming the agent is posting in MRIS (the MLS) the square footage is pulled directly from the tax records. And as you probably know by now, the tax records only list the above ground square footage. I've very rarely seen inaccuracies in sq footage on MRIS; cannot speak to the website you're using (where owners can change their property information themselves). And as others have pointed out, the Zillow feeds from the MLS where it can get all screwed up. Its frustrating for us too.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:37 PM

117 posts, read 130,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Knock knock
Who's there?
Not the original drive by poster!
Trolls don't drive. They just Zillow on by.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:51 PM

469 posts, read 399,725 times
I know realtors hate Zillow, but...there's a reason the general public likes it. It's got a great search engine with an easy to use interface, and lots of criteria variables, unlike most other sites. Realtors should take a clue from this when designing their own sites.

I certainly take the info on Zillow with a grain of salt, but since I'm trying to find a retirement location it's valuable as a tool to get a general idea of what's happening in an area. I would never use it as an source when ready to actually start house hunting because the information is so out of date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals