Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 01:53 PM

4 posts, read 22,302 times

Advertisements

For now, I just plan to hire my nephew and i paid for his education classes this morning and he started to attend classes as he has a lull in his schedule RIGHT NOW. From everything I have read...it sounds to me like I will be treating him as more of an employee. I guess I'll have to suck it up and do the paperwork and pay the additional taxes associated with that. I think it is fair though because I will be paying for EVERYTHING for him to get started and training him with all the knowledge I have, that he should sign something that obligates him to me for a period of time. I honestly don't think it would become an issue but I've learned to clearly spell everything out. I don't want him to think he could just go work for someone else if someone tried to recruit him.

Silverfall. In future, I may bring on an Agent or two and I realize any established agents will not want to sign a non-compete. He is the only one I am really interested in "training" at this point as I think he has all the right qualities and I feel we could work really well together. Otherwise, i am only interested in possibly finding one or two seasoned Realtors who are looking to make a change.

Brandon. It sounds like you have had people sign non-competes...is that right? Is that just a clause you add to either the Independent Contractor Agreement or whatever the other will be called I guess Employee of Brokerage contract....

Last edited by homeadvisor; 05-11-2015 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 01:59 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeadvisor View Post
For now, I just plan to hire my nephew and i paid for his education classes this morning and he started to attend classes as he has a lull in his schedule RIGHT NOW. From everything I have read...it sounds to me like I will be treating him as more of an employee. I guess I'll have to suck it up and do the paperwork and pay the additional taxes associate with that. I think it is fair though because I will be paying for EVERYTHING for him to get started and training him with all the knowledge I have, that he should sign something that obligates him to me for a period of time. I honestly don't think it would become an issue but I've learned to clearly spell everything out. I don't want him to think he could just go work for someone else if someone tried to recruit him.

Silverfall. In future, I may bring on an Agent or two and I realize any established agents will not want to sign a non-compete.

Brandon. It sounds like you have had people sign non-competes...is that right?
You're building a team or you own your own brokerage?

Old 05-11-2015, 02:26 PM

4 posts, read 22,302 times
My own Brokerage. At this point this is the only person I am bringing on and...he is totally green, so it may sound like more of a team I guess. I do envision us as a team but I plan to allow him to do some of his own business in future if it all works out as for one, he will be going "home" to a different city than I in summers...only 2 hours away so I will join that Board. He is attending college in my town and I thought this would be a perfect part time job for him as needs something flexible because he also plays hockey. He is a natural sales man and smart as well. I just want him to realize he is obligated to me as 20 yr olds can be ....stupid sometimes. I'll pour myself and teach him everything I know but he is going to stick with me in return. Shouldn't be an issue but I'd rather spell it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals