Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2017, 07:25 PM

319 posts, read 199,175 times

Advertisements

I have a condo investment property currently inhabited by my tenants. Their lease doesn't end until August 31 of this year. I haven't informed them yet that I don't intend to renew their lease (I still have a few weeks to meet the '90 days notice' clause). I want to sell the property this year ASAP after they move out. If they could move out sooner, that'd be great so I could try to sell in the 'hot' summer months instead of in the fall. They've been there for a few years and have a pet. Once they move out, I'll probably need to hire people to paint the place, replace carpet, upgrade the fridge, etc. to get it buyer-ready.
  1. So, considering I have tenants who won't be out until Aug. 31 and some repairs will need to be made after that, what's the timing as far as when I should speak with a realtor?
  2. It's May now; will they be OK with the fact that nothing can be done until September/October?
  3. Can they begin work before then even though tenants are still in the property through Aug. 31 and what kind of work?
  4. How often do buyers buy a place that still has tenants in it?
  5. What are my chances of getting the property sold during the summer months with tenants still living in the property?
  6. How do I go about hinting the tenants can move out sooner if they want?
  7. How fast do you think I can get the place buyer-ready after the tenants move out (assuming the place is in good shape and all I have to do is the aforementioned repairs)?
  8. Is there a certain type of realtor I should work with to handle this type of situation?
  9. If the tenants indicate they'd like to remain in the property and be the ones to buy it, how does that affect the realtor's work and what I pay the realtor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 03:32 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
First of all, I would suggest that you inform your tenants ASAP that you intend to sell the condo and ask them if they'd be interested in buying it. What you do next would depend upon their answer. If they're not in a position to buy it, you could offer them an incentive to leave early.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:53 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,503,839 times
90 days notice? Geez, that's a long time. I couldn't imagine being bound to that.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:54 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
90 days notice? Geez, that's a long time. I couldn't imagine being bound to that.
I don't know where the OP lives, but it is required in Portland, OR. The rest of the state is 60-day notice if they have lived there for a year. Our rental market is so tight that people can't find other housing with 30-day notice.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:17 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
First of all, I would suggest that you inform your tenants ASAP that you intend to sell the condo and ask them if they'd be interested in buying it. What you do next would depend upon their answer. If they're not in a position to buy it, you could offer them an incentive to leave early.
This is a very good suggestion. Hopefully it works out for you. In N.D. 30 days notice is standard.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:21 PM

319 posts, read 199,175 times
Thanks, all. This is good advice.

The 90-day notice came in the standard contract supplied by the property management company I hired.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:27 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockruhtese View Post
Thanks, all. This is good advice.

The 90-day notice came in the standard contract supplied by the property management company I hired.
You can offer to break the lease with no penalty if they find a place sooner. Possibly even sweeten the pot with a couple grand in cash if they vacate early - you might get that back and more by selling in peak season vs late season.

In my area, every landlord that sells a place with tenants still in it leaves money on the table.

If you've got a painting crew, a carpet Dude & a cleaning crew on notice, you ought to be back on the market within a week of the tenants leaving. No need to begin working until they leave - it's a hassle for the contractor and the tenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals