Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 01:23 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times

Advertisements

I'm not an agent. I have a question about how referrals are usually handled for clients. In particular, I interviewed an agent, did whatever research I could and picked an agent. The agent referred me to someone else. At first I thought thought that this person was part of some kind of team and that he was just going to be doing the "running around" etc, but he is my agent. The agent is not bad, but I doubt I would have picked him if had screened him on my own. Is this normal? Can't say I am too happy about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 01:43 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I'm not an agent. I have a question about how referrals are usually handled for clients. In particular, I interviewed an agent, did whatever research I could and picked an agent. The agent referred me to someone else. At first I thought thought that this person was part of some kind of team and that he was just going to be doing the "running around" etc, but he is my agent. The agent is not bad, but I doubt I would have picked him if had screened him on my own. Is this normal? Can't say I am too happy about it.
Why DID the first agent refer you to the second agent?

Is the first agent collecting a referral fee from the second agent?

Old 01-28-2018, 02:02 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,749 times
This sounds like miscommunication to me. There is nothing wrong with referrals, but I think it should have been clearer to you that this was one. Not saying anyone meant to fool you, but the only way you'll know is if you ask.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:47 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Why DID the first agent refer you to the second agent?

Is the first agent collecting a referral fee from the second agent?
Not sure why they referred, also not sure if the agent is collecting a fee but I assume so.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:25 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
I'm not sure why the first agent would have referred you out. The only thing I can think of is that they don't have the capacity to take you on as a client. However, you also don't have to agree to the referral. If you have not signed any representation contract with the second agent then you can just tell them you'd like to seek other representation. It seems kind of underhanded to me that they would do that to you and not explain to what was happening.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:40 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
There is nothing wrong with referrals,
I disagree. I think the majority of referrals are undeserved and harmful to the client whose agent is forking over a large part of their paycheck for nothing more than an introduction.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:40 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
I'm not an agent. I have a question about how referrals are usually handled for clients.
As a matter of etiquette, - Usually the client being referred knows he's going to be referred to another agent.

I have done referrals for friends who are out of the area, for example. "I'll find someone who works in that area for you".

Could be you interviewed with a team leader or rain maker who has other agents who do the actual legwork. If that's true, he should have told you that.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:06 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Not sure why they referred, also not sure if the agent is collecting a fee but I assume so.
Realtor COE does not require the agents to disclose a referral fee.

State laws vary. In NC, the licensed agent making the referral and expecting to receive the referral fee should disclose the referral and the specific fee expected "in a timely manner," meaning "before you sign an agency agreement."

Referrals are legitimate. Consumers should be in the loop, on board, and accepting of the arrangement.
Concealing them is somewhat deceitful as there is no legitimate reason to do so, IMO.
Did you sign a buyers agency agreement?
This is a point where it would be quite reasonable for a consumer to trigger the termination I enter into all buyer agency agreements.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:10 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,749 times
Again I will say that the op won't know until asking, but I know some agents have licensed personal assistants. Maybe that. Anyway why not just ask what happened to so and so because you thought that was who was representing you

Old 01-28-2018, 07:14 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Stop using the agent you aren't happy with and find a new one. You need to ask upfront if they will be your agent or if they will pass you off to someone else as many teams do. I can say that at least half of potential new clients ask me if I'm the agent they will be working with or if I will pass them to someone else. It's a very important question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals