Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 07:29 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,083,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
That leads to another question. Are we in a better negotiating position given our house isn't listed and a potential mystery buyer (if legit) is interested or wait and list and potentially have more buyers vying for our home. Of course, whose to say what will happen to the housing market in the interim.

The other reason I am somewhat open to this approach is my husband and I detest the whole listing, appointments, showing, etc. process. Of course it's been many years (15) so there may be ways to streamline this process via technology.
1. I question whether your negotiating position is better when exposing to one buyer rather than multiple buyers.
Without competition, your buyer may be comfortable.

2. I don't think things are a whole lot better than 15 years ago in many respects.
Yes, we can process documents for signatures digitally, but often going through them face to face is best.

For many folks who stress over showings, etc, IF you can swing carrying two houses for a few months, moving out and selling a vacant and perhaps staged home is a great way to sell in a desirable area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 08:04 AM

10,964 posts, read 21,978,734 times
I don't understand why there are 51 comments here. This post post is stupid. Call the agent and find out what the deal is. Worst case it's an agent looking for listings and you just tell them you aren't interested in listing. Instead you've wasted a week and everyone's time wondering on intentions and conspiracies.

Quit being such a baby, pick up the phone since you want to sell, call the number, and see what the deal is. Seeing the comments on here make me wonder how many people didn't respond to letters I sent out when I had a buyer looking a neighborhood that wanted to sell but "didn't trust a letter". WTF, do you think they're wasting their time and money sending out letter for jollies? I just can't get over how absurd the OP is here.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:13 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,216,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Is your time worth something to you? Mine is. If I had a house to sell, I would follow the standard process; I would not respond to mystery letters of solicitation.
This might make sense except for the fact that sometimes these letters can lead to an easy sale. It's silly to assume that all solicitation letters are some sort of scam. As Brandon said, just call the agent and in a couple of minutes know whether or not it's legit.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:27 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I don't understand why there are 51 comments here. This post post is stupid. Call the agent and find out what the deal is. Worst case it's an agent looking for listings and you just tell them you aren't interested in listing. Instead you've wasted a week and everyone's time wondering on intentions and conspiracies.

Quit being such a baby, pick up the phone since you want to sell, call the number, and see what the deal is. Seeing the comments on here make me wonder how many people didn't respond to letters I sent out when I had a buyer looking a neighborhood that wanted to sell but "didn't trust a letter". WTF, do you think they're wasting their time and money sending out letter for jollies? I just can't get over how absurd the OP is here.
Thanks for your lovely ad hominem attack.

You are cordially invited to perform an anatomical impossibility.

When you grow up a bit you will realize that chasing after marketeering BS in the hopes that you will magically find the one needle in a haystack agent/buyer who does want to buy your house at a fair price, versus the thousands of fly by night outfits who blanket every desirable neighorhood with this trash, is not a good use of one's limited time.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:38 AM

10,964 posts, read 21,978,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Thanks for your lovely ad hominem attack.

You are cordially invited to perform an anatomical impossibility.

When you grow up a bit you will realize that chasing after marketeering BS in the hopes that you will magically find the one needle in a haystack agent/buyer who does want to buy your house at a fair price, versus the thousands of fly by night outfits who blanket every desirable neighorhood with this trash, is not a good use of one's limited time.
Blah, blah, blah. OP already said they want to sell, doesn't want to list, and has nothing to lose by calling. Had she just done the grown up thing and called since the situation may fit her needs, she'd have saved all that time posting and reading these comments and known what the situation was.

Instead 5 days later she still doesn't know if the agent has a buyer for her home and wasted way more time than the 3 minutes she'd have spent on the home. Are you really so sensitive that my logical and honest comment has offended you? I just said what so many other people are thinking, or should be thinking.

Who are you people and where do you live that your mailboxes are filled daily with real estate solicitations that are 100% spam? How do you know they are spam since you don't bother to call and find out?

Old 12-19-2018, 10:02 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I looked up ownership on a big vacant parcel for an interested buyer who was interested in it, contacted the owner, and ended up coordinating the purchase.

I've also sent out at least two letters at the request of another client (they also happened to be about vacant parcels) that were never answered.

So... yes... it has happened.
all of this plus ...

in our market, there's many builders and even individuals that are looking to buy that I might not represent, at least at the moment. But if they're out chasing the houses these (usually older) folks own and may sell, frankly we're also doing the innocent/naive owners a service by trying to get them market value. In our market for example, a good % of folks think Tax Value is the value of their home, and are willing to accept that, when the market value is easily 15-30% more. But I don't see my these letters as a wild fishing expedition of trying to get folks that have no interest in selling to list a property for sale.

Still, it's not a routine part of our marketing, maybe 3x a year. I do know agents that routinely mass-mail out the precise type of letter - sent to a fairly wide swath, photocopied, no or photocopy signature. My clients - especially when they get them within 4 months of buying, always laugh and let me know - "hey, if this guy/gal wants to get me 30% more than I paid, I'll talk!"

Old 12-21-2018, 10:13 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times
Just the cheap and illegal way this was delivered would have sent it to my circular file immediately.
It certainly wouldn't be what I expect from a legitimate Realtor or agent

Old 12-23-2018, 01:56 PM

3,143 posts, read 1,598,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post

"Seeing the comments on here make me wonder how many people didn't respond to letters I sent out when I had a buyer looking a neighborhood that wanted to sell but "didn't trust a letter". WTF, do you think they're wasting their time and money sending out letter for jollies."

So admittedly you got some marketing intel from the thread. What realtors often don't understand is I do things on my timeline not theirs and name calling won't motivate me. If you don't want to waste your time on this thread, you know what to do.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:54 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,244 times
Check out some youtube vidoes or some 'real estate coaching' websites, you will see this is a go-to line for soliciting listings.

'I have a buyer for your house' (every one who has had an expired listing has probably seen this line).

What it really should say is 'I don't have a buyer but if I can get you to list it with me, I might be able to find one'

Old 12-24-2018, 11:21 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,486,590 times
You just don't know until you call. If you call I would ask the name of the buyer and how many homes they have shown that buyer.

I've done this before when I can't find the right home for my buyer's, or they want to live in a specific house or location. One had sold the house and wanted to buy it back 2-3 years later.

More often than not though it is probably people just trying to solicit your business.

My thought is if you want to sell, get your house listed with the agent of your choice. If the person who sent you the letter really has a buyer, you can call them back, tell them your house is listed and bring their buyer to visit the house....and you will expose it to all the other agents who have sent you letters too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals