Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 02:31 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times

Advertisements

I bought my house two years ago and am looking to repave my driveway. Contractor is telling me I need a survey of my property. I contacted both the attorney and title company involved in the purchase transaction and they both basically said the same thing, there is no survey because one wasn’t required, but here’s the number of a surveyor who will do one for $800.

Who else might have a copy of this? House was built in the 1960’s, so I’m thinking there must be a copy of it somewhere. I think my neighbor is still in contact with the previous owner of my house, so I’m sure I could get in contact with them and ask if they have it if necessary. I would do this as a last resort before coughing up the 800 bucks to have a survey done. Any other suggestions on where else I could possibly search?

Edit: property is in NJ, if that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2023, 03:21 PM

740 posts, read 473,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I bought my house two years ago and am looking to repave my driveway. Contractor is telling me I need a survey of my property. I contacted both the attorney and title company involved in the purchase transaction and they both basically said the same thing, there is no survey because one wasn’t required, but here’s the number of a surveyor who will do one for $800.

Who else might have a copy of this? House was built in the 1960’s, so I’m thinking there must be a copy of it somewhere. I think my neighbor is still in contact with the previous owner of my house, so I’m sure I could get in contact with them and ask if they have it if necessary. I would do this as a last resort before coughing up the 800 bucks to have a survey done. Any other suggestions on where else I could possibly search?

Contact the office of the tax assessor/recorder for your county; maybe they will have a survey even from previously recorded deeds/sales. Some counties will let you make a copy for a small fee or some counties have this info available online... all depends on your county.

Old 03-03-2023, 03:26 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Just pay for the new survey. Then keep it somewhere where it won't get lost.

Old 03-03-2023, 03:53 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,683,589 times
If it's in a subdivision the subdivision plat, with associated survey, ought to be on record at the county appraisal district office.

If it's defined by metes and bounds then the language of the survey (”100 yards N from corner marker then 50 yards W then...”) would be findable by tracking back the various deeds that have been issued for the property; again start with the appraisal district.

Old 03-03-2023, 04:06 PM

14,487 posts, read 12,121,454 times
County or city, depending, may have surveys for yours or neighboring properties on file.

Old 03-03-2023, 05:04 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Thank you all. I will try with the town on Monday

Old 03-03-2023, 05:09 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Just pay for the new survey. Then keep it somewhere where it won't get lost.
Surveys are expensive

Old 03-03-2023, 05:17 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Here I can get copies of the surveys from the county, if any were completed and recorded. The more populated areas, I can get docs from online when they were uploaded. The more rural counties is a crapshoot.

Old 03-03-2023, 06:27 PM

9,136 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Pay for the survey and have the property staked.

Old 03-03-2023, 07:07 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post

Are you simply repaving the driveway in its current location? If so, I would try contacting another contractor before looking into having a survey done. There may be a local requirement for a survey, but there may not be.

If a survey is, indeed, needed, then you will need a stakes-in-the-ground survey. Finding a paper copy of a prior survey may help, but it's not going to point to where the property boundary is on the ground.

EDIT: An older paper survey would help if it showed the placement of the driveway in relation to the property boundary. Check with the municipality as to whether a permit was pulled to put in the driveway. Was it ever replaced, or is it original? It's most likely that the original placement of the driveway required a survey, so it is likely in the correct place.

Last edited by jackmichigan; 03-03-2023 at 07:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals