Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 12:48 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
That is the plan.

To everyone saying get a new contractor, I didn’t give the full scope of the work being done. It’s not just repaving the driveway, it’s also extending the concrete apron and lowering the curb so that the ramp part to enter the driveway is wider. Not sure if I explained that correctly but anyway, that wasn’t meant to be the focal point. I really just wanted a cheaper way to get a copy of the survey because at some point I’m going to want a new fence also and I would imagine I need it for that. While $800 might be worth it and I will ultimately pay it if it comes down to it, free sounds better to me.
Have you asked the neighbor whose property yours adjoins if he/she has had a survey done and if they know where the corners are? After all, if they're YOUR corners, then they're HIS corners too on the adjoining line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2023, 12:55 PM

6,480 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
While $800 might be worth it and I will ultimately pay it if it comes down to it, free sounds better to me.
Free is highly unlikely, even if there is a prior survey on file with your municipality. Technically, if there is a survey, it belongs to the prior owner and/or the surveyor and there will be a fee to get a copy no matter what. Just saying from personal experience.

Old 03-05-2023, 07:36 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
That is the plan.

To everyone saying get a new contractor, I didn’t give the full scope of the work being done. It’s not just repaving the driveway, it’s also extending the concrete apron and lowering the curb so that the ramp part to enter the driveway is wider. Not sure if I explained that correctly but anyway, that wasn’t meant to be the focal point. I really just wanted a cheaper way to get a copy of the survey because at some point I’m going to want a new fence also and I would imagine I need it for that. While $800 might be worth it and I will ultimately pay it if it comes down to it, free sounds better to me.
Can you widen the curb apron without a permit?
If you need a permit, can you get a permit without a current stamped survey?
Do you own to the curb, or does the street right-of-way extend into the property? A right-of-way and utility easement extending into the yard 10' from the curb is not uncommon.

At this point with the details available, I like your local contractor much more than I like the slick advice to cut corners and go for a freebie.
"Free" is often the most expensive price one can pay.

Of course, you might be able to find a jackleg dude who will procede without permit or proper care, and work for a lower price. Caveat Emptor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals