Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:30 AM

79 posts, read 192,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishinca View Post
Thank you for your personal reply. I knew there was a reason for your posts. My license is in California and that is all I can do. In fact, my real estate experience is limited in years, but I am older and wiser just from living in this world a long time. I work from a position of using common sense, and knowing how I want to be treated. Anyone can put together 'deals', but I try and see how it affects all parties, and do what they call 'win-win' transactions. I do see other agents who do the same, but unfortunately, it is not always easy to see a person's true colors until it's too late. Try older, more laid back, experienced agents, and talk to them about what you want; loyalty and honesty. I've been 'burned' by brokers, and just keep trying to figure a way to make an honest living. Not sure I'll prosper (it's so competitive-there are hundreds of agents in our area), but I will always try to do my best. Hang in there, and start by asking around to people who they have used and like. Reputations have a way of being shared, as you can attest. When you're not happy, everyone's going to know about it. I'd be surprised if that agent lasts very long. Maybe you can go to 3 offices, large and small, and ask specifically who might be the most honest, experienced, ethical Realtor (not just an agent, but a Realtor who signs up to be ethical), and see what happens. Talk to the person who steps forward or gets recommended, and follow your instincts. Good luck, and I'm sure you will succeed, whatever you do.
I need a person like you... most of the realtors that I have worked with (or shall I say worked on me ) were seasoned old pros(I use this term loosly) more specifically ones that have been in the real estate field 20+ years and ones who are "million dollar producers" YUK! these were the worst. I put my trust and faith in these clowns and they let me down over and over. each time leading me to realize that they were working for themselves (commission). Funny the realtors that I remember best are the ones who just started and were really motivated in wanting to help. Something happens to these people as they move through the industry. Perhaps they learn that dealing with the public is not easy and therefor the faster you close the deal the better it is for them. They forget what you said above. They simply forge why they got into this profession in the first place. I have to tell you that I have tra veled to other places than my home state in search of a home and I discovered that those realtors that worked in areas that were growing were more willing to work hard. Unfortunately in my home town where its already built up and land is at a premium the Realtors are litterally DOGS. I hope to find one that can be honest enough not to lie in my face at least once through the transaction. I remain hopeful but at the same time I'm looking into alternartives in purchasing without a realtor. Its sad but true and I'm not the only buyer out there that feels the same way. I know many buyers that are in the same boat in my area that feel the same way. One even compared this realtor sickness to a plague. I hope that you will be supported enough to continue on the honest path that you seem to be portraying. again thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 06:52 PM

114 posts, read 398,105 times
Thank you for your kind words; I will remember this as I get more experience, and try not to get jaded. I think you are probably right about the agents want the end result of a commission and quickly. I've also gotten the cold shoulder from agents on the other side who just have forgotten or never had to be friendly, especially to new agents. I have been mildly successful, and until this new market, was on a fast track to owning my own home also. I am an optimist, so it will be ok. I keep thinking and trying to figure a way. Do you own a home yet? I agree that new agents do try very hard, and are naiive enough to be nice, in hopes of getting referrals. You do seem to have run into a few negative agents. The odds are you will find a good one soon. Best wishes. bye the way, I am 62 years old, and this is my fourth year in business. I think I still have 10-15 good working years left, so I really appreciate being able to serve people. I've given up on getting wealthy! Bye for now.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:03 AM

79 posts, read 192,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishinca View Post
Thank you for your kind words; I will remember this as I get more experience, and try not to get jaded. I think you are probably right about the agents want the end result of a commission and quickly. I've also gotten the cold shoulder from agents on the other side who just have forgotten or never had to be friendly, especially to new agents. I have been mildly successful, and until this new market, was on a fast track to owning my own home also. I am an optimist, so it will be ok. I keep thinking and trying to figure a way. Do you own a home yet? I agree that new agents do try very hard, and are naiive enough to be nice, in hopes of getting referrals. You do seem to have run into a few negative agents. The odds are you will find a good one soon. Best wishes. bye the way, I am 62 years old, and this is my fourth year in business. I think I still have 10-15 good working years left, so I really appreciate being able to serve people. I've given up on getting wealthy! Bye for now.
I too will try and remember that the next time I am with my realtor. wow, I hope to be able to work when I get to 75. Thats awsome and better than being wealthy If you are happyhealthy and doing what you love (i think). as far as new agents trying hard, I have to agree again. They seem to try much harder than the seasoned agent.

can you tell me something? you said that you were on the fast track to owning a home, but this new market has not allowed this. But you say you are an optimist... can you elaborate? do you think that most areas will correct this pricing insanity? TTYL.

Last edited by gotcha; 04-05-2007 at 12:38 AM..

Old 04-05-2007, 12:53 AM

188 posts, read 811,352 times
Hi trishinca

Very well said im impressed about working into your 70's plus , work is a great way to keep ones body & mind active. It has to be the way to go , ive seen many retire & no sooner they do that its like there lost & appear to lose interest in life , because they no nothing else but work.

I plan to work till i pass on for that very reason as its beens sad to see some people retire get bored cuz they have nothing to do & dont enjoy there retirement & pass away early after they retire. But i will cut my working hours back a little or a day here day there to enjoy some of what life will offer me in my older age , maybe grand kids to chase around or maybe the wife to chase around....lol.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:06 PM

114 posts, read 398,105 times
Thank you both, (last two posts) for your encouraging words. There are several agents in this town who are in their 70's and practising real estate. Because it is based upon referrals and people skills, in addition to paperwork, marketing, etc., healthy individuals can keep doing it. However, if my mental or physical limitations give out, well, then, I'll go down doing something besides sitting in a rocker...I just believe that keeping busy and learning new things keeps me motivated. Wealth has never been a goal but I now wish I had paid more attention to furthering my education earlier to at least earn more in my younger years. Fate has a funny way of equalizing our lives, however, (accidents, divorce, health issues), so I try not to second guess past decisions. Anyway, I digress.
As for the future, seriously, from seminars and older agents I've talked to, this is a correction and the last time it happened, in the late 1980's, the interest rates were double digit (that's when my husband and I tried to buy, but did not have our act together enough to purchase in California. We had low credit scores, were self employed, and no down, so payments were too high). This is why I emphasize the window of opportunity so much.The only good thing for you now is that prices are on the low end and still falling, so if you buy something now at a price that you can afford, at least when the market rebounds, you will be in a position to benefit from the equity gain. For us, we should have moved to a less expensive state, but we stayed because of family in the area. At that time, it was worse than now, because you got less for your money. Statistically, corrections or markets go up and down in say 5-12 years, but they do change. So in a way, if you have the ability to buy anything now, and you are younger, you probably will experiene another good market and be on the selling end. One truth is unavoidable; they are not making more land, and our population is exploding, so it's a no brainer that owning a home or land or investment will pay off again. I don't worry too much about the future, because I do have a strong faith, a good marriage of 35 years (my husband is a hard working horseshoer who still team ropes at age 59, has had diabetes since the year we got married, kidney failure last year and bounced back, he too, would rather go down working than in a chair), and we both keep counting the good things in life and avoiding the negative. That's why some of these chats lines run down to nothing, too much criticism and negativity. I could say something about chasing each other around, but I won't, (smile), but we do go to the Coast and have a nice dinner a lot....
I do wish the market would hurry up and rebound - I like it when it is busy. Homes are just not getting sold, and from what I gather from reading all these different threads, it's all over the United States. One thing though, in many other states, at least there are homes in the lower price ranges for the average working person. Out here, only about 1/4 of the population can afford a home in California. In our area, wine country, the entry level home is $4-500,000. That's insane! I'm so tempted to move and start over, but being both self-employed, it takes a few years to reestablish a clientele. You guys both don't give up; keep trying to figure it out. Remember, life's a sales pitch, and then you buy.....(joke) Bye for now, getting off topic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals