Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 09:15 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,921,317 times

Advertisements

Is it the responsibility of the seller's agent to inquire with the buyer's agents to get feedback on the showings? For example, if a potential buyer views your home and the agent leaves no feedback on the web site, should the seller's agent contact the buyer agent to determine the status of the buyer?

Or if the buyer agent leaves no feedback, is that the end of it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 09:29 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Much depends on local customs, price points, and time on market.

In the first few days of a new listing a seller's agent may do more to solicit feedback, as that serves to solidify the qualification of the potential buyer/ likelihood that they will commit to the property and affirms the pricing strategy.

At higher price points the seller's agent will often do some screening and follow-up to make sure that their client's home is not subject to a "buyer" that is really scouting the home or those in the neighborhood for theft...

In some localities agents are very cooperative, and frequently email post showing evaluation forms. while in others post cards are still used, and in some places either is seen as intrusive / ineffective.

When potential buyers or their agents give certain kinds of feedback it can be a invitation to negotiate, but more often feedback, or lack of feedback, does signal "the end of if" in terms of useful inroads for the seller's agent...

I sense that you have a seller's agent that is NOT soliciting feedback. Not knowing local customs it is hard to say if this is "the right way" to go about assisting in the sale of your home, but I do feel this can be discussed between you and your agent. You should also be prepared to hear unpleasant feedback about things like the condition of your home (even it is spotless and decorated in a pleasing manner, there are lots of people with different ideas about this) and the price (as it seems like EVERYONE is bargain hunting right now...).

Good Luck!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:10 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,047,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

In the first few days of a new listing a seller's agent may do more to solicit feedback, as that serves to solidify the qualification of the potential buyer/ likelihood that they will commit to the property and affirms the pricing strategy.

At higher price points the seller's agent will often do some screening and follow-up to make sure that their client's home is not subject to a "buyer" that is really scouting the home or those in the neighborhood for theft...

In some localities agents are very cooperative, and frequently email post showing evaluation forms. while in others post cards are still used, and in some places either is seen as intrusive / ineffective.

When potential buyers or their agents give certain kinds of feedback it can be a invitation to negotiate, but more often feedback, or lack of feedback, does signal "the end of if" in terms of useful inroads for the seller's agent...

I sense that you have a seller's agent that is NOT soliciting feedback. Not knowing local customs it is hard to say if this is "the right way" to go about assisting in the sale of your home, but I do feel this can be discussed between you and your agent. You should also be prepared to hear unpleasant feedback about things like the condition of your home (even it is spotless and decorated in a pleasing manner, there are lots of people with different ideas about this) and the price (as it seems like EVERYONE is bargain hunting right now...).

Good Luck!
You're very correct in your post. When I practiced in the States usually we'd have our transaction coordinator (or we'd do ourselves if not slammed), and request feedback so we could update our sellers - the good, the bad and the ugly.

As well, I do agree that seller's need to be 'prepared' about negative feedback and have place spotless and 'odor free'. I showed another broker's property to clients and the house was gorgeous, in great location EXCEPT they had dogs, cats and kids, and the first thing we noticed when we walked in the door was that it smelled like urine - I mean overwhelming smell. Needless to say my clients didn't buy it because it was so bad and there were also marks on the wall from kids and crayons. I personally contacted the listing agent to give him a heads up that his clients really needed to do something about it as I could have sold the house, but didn't even get a return message from him.

This was at least 6 years ago and I bet the house is still on the market! As a listing agent, I would always put on my 'buyer agent hat' and look at the property through a buyer or buyer agent's eyes - in the above case the first thing I would have told the seller's is get rid of the stinky carpet and paint the walls! It's important for seller's to have their agent tell them 'how it is' not what they want to hear, even if it is unpleasant. There will be no sale if a listing agent isn't honest with their client about what will make the home more appealing to buyers.

Good luck!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:34 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
What the responsibility of the seller's agent is in this regard depends on what you agreed to in your listing agreement. If they told you they would ask for feedback, then they should be asking for it.

I ask for feedback, but don't harass buyer's agents either. Most respond to an email request, but some don't. I only ask one question for "feedback" which is "Is your client interested in this house?"

Old 05-11-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Thanks much for the feedback.

I should have been more specific in my question. I'm using the Centralized Showing Service, and some Agents don't leave any feedback. Other agents leave comments like "my client is considering this property, but is going to look at a couple of others" etc.

So I'm wondering if my Agent should be following up on both of those "leads", as in other Sales positions, or is that a sign of desperation? Does the Agent just wait for the buyer agent to respond further?

From the seller's perspective, I'd like to know as much information as possible so that I can set my expectations (and price) accordingly, and also market my home most effectively.

Thanks again.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:41 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Super simple, but super important!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
What the responsibility of the seller's agent is in this regard depends on what you agreed to in your listing agreement. If they told you they would ask for feedback, then they should be asking for it.

I ask for feedback, but don't harass buyer's agents either. Most respond to an email request, but some don't. I only ask one question for "feedback" which is "Is your client interested in this house?"
You could have reams of feedback, but in the end all you really want is ONE REAL BUYER!

If the answer to Silverfall's question is short and sweet "Yes, we will assemble an offer" that is the music you wanna hear.

Similarly, "No, the house will not work for my clients." should NOT be demoralizing, or by itself prompt you to change your overall marketing / pricing strategy.

Any thing between those two answers MAY be something to help you make adjustments...

As to "showing desperation", that is TOTALLY a local market condition issue. If your time on market is greater than the average for homes in your price category, it would go without saying that you sorta are desperate. That does NOT automatically mean you can (or should) accept any ridiculously low offer, but it does alter the "power" that buyers might have to get you to make concessions. Feedback does not really alter that...

Old 05-11-2009, 04:10 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,926 times
The listing agent might try to follow up with the selling agent for feedback - but if there isn't any - the results are nothing. If the listing agent attempted to contact the buyer directly, he/she could easily end up in a eithic hearing! I sure would never try to contact another agent's buyer for feedback!

As a listing agent I wish every showing would result in feedback (good or bad) but it doesn't. Frankly if they aren't interested in the property - and they don't leave feedback - there may be nothing to tell.

My experiance is that when a buyer is ready to make an offer - they will offer no feedback! They won't tell you the love the house, it's perfect and they want to own it! You are lucky if they say they "might" be intrested. THE phone call to get sometimes comes from the buyer's agent who wants to "ask a few questions" about the house .... an offer is soon to follow!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:43 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,898,379 times
We really can't be running after everyone that showed a house. I know many agents that will not answer any calls or requests for feedback. If I get a voice mail for feed back it's very rare that I return the call. If I happen to answer then I will answer the questions. If they email me for feedback, I give it gladly. But. I never answer questions about pricing or what could have been better. If there is a definate reason why the buyer isn't interested then I'll put that..didn't like layout, backyard or size of bedroom...whatever it is. Now, what I am getting from some agents automatically is everytime there is a price change...you may want to advise your buyer that... those I just ditch. They are annoying and there is no time limit for how long ago the buyer may have seen the property.
So, to answer your question, IMO, no, the listing agent shouldn't be calling again and again. They might call if there was *some* interest expressed to see if there is something that needs to be brought to the table to facilitate an offer.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:32 PM

Fair enough -- I was just curious how the game works and what the normal expectations are.

Thanks all for the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals