Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 06:29 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,836,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post

Commission:

Be willing to negotiate, be flexible, be creative. If you try to stick to your guns with 6%, I will cross you off my list right there.

If the Realtor cannot protect there own commission how do you expect them to protect your price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 06:36 AM

93 posts, read 284,442 times
Florida has more realtors then cop's. How do you fix that.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:33 AM

627 posts, read 2,850,140 times
I just sent my License back to the state (OH) in March... And I ALWAYS emailed or phoned my clients, sent them cards on holidays and had sit down talks with them on a bi-weekly basis to make sure we where all on the same page.

I was always flexible on commission... I personally feel a Real Estate Agent should never make more than the seller (a moral dilemma for me, I guess). In fact, I would NOT charge commission on any part of a sales price that was to be used to help cover a buyer's down payment assistance... ie: Sales price is $105000 with 5% to cover buyer's closing and or down payment assistance. The commission would be charged on $99750. Why should any seller pay commission on gift money? I know that it is not a huge savings, but every penny counts!

I never looked at the commission split on a listing either, because my buying client's needs where more important to me than my wallet. I know many agents who would check that particular listing item before putting it in the list of homes to show.

ALL homes got Photo Ads and Tours, no matter what! I specialized in Foreclosed homes and many of them where beautiful homes that the initial home owner had over financed with those great 125% seconds. Even the dumps got tours, because I feel any buyer should be able to preview a home before wasting time and gas to physically see it.

ALL homes had the property address included in the MLS listing, Online listing and all ads... All Buyers should have the right to drive by before they call an agent to show it to them.

I did not practice Dual Agency... That is like hiring the same lawyer that the guy you are suing is using IMO. How can I expect to provide the best service and give my client 100% in that case? You can not!

ALL homes carried online Flyers with a personalized Sign Rider pointing to the site, my on-site flyer boxes where rarely empty! I carried an accordion file folder with extra flyers with me, that way I could refill on my rounds (or pass out on the fly!). I also left 100 flyers in the home with the seller so that if for any reason I could not get to their home that day, they could run out and drop some more in. (nobody had a problem with that either) I also had a spot on my website for my sellers to contact me with special requests like Price Adjustments, Flyers, Open House Requests, Contact Needed and so on.

I also never charged my listers for my advertising, that is just part of the business and is Expected. But that is just my Opinion.

I had my voice mail set up to be sent directly to my email, so no matter where I was, I received my messages via my mobile device. The only time I would not answer my phone was when I was driving or with customers and clients, but I let everyone know that up front, so it was never an issue.

I also took at least 20 photos of my listings and posted at-least 12 online. I professionally edit and enhanced any photos that needed it. (NO Photo "Alterations" like adding Grass where there is none or hiding cracks in concrete).

I love Real Estate, Honestly Helping People and Marketing!! That is what I expect from any agent.

When we moved here, I could not get an agent to call me back in a timely manner or at all! I tell you what, I did complain, because that is just UNPROFESSIONAL let alone RUDE!

As for how many agents there are here... it is dirt cheap to license in this state! You can take the class, apply for license, fingerprint and be selling for less than $575! The class time required here is only a fraction of that needed in many other states also!

Last edited by MyHomeIsInOcala; 05-16-2007 at 08:34 AM..

Old 05-16-2007, 08:53 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
If the Realtor cannot protect there own commission how do you expect them to protect your price?
Well, frankly, I don't expect them to protect an outdated commission structure. It's a new game now, and I expect them to adapt.

I also think that if the realtor helps the seller set the price right, there shouldn't be any "protection" needed from the realtor. The market will determine the right price, a good realtor has all the inside scoop to properly read the market. I'd want to hear any and all offers, no matter how ridiculous, but ultimately, it would be up to me, the seller, to protect my price by not accepting an offer that I can't live with.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:59 AM

MyHomeIsInOcala,

You sound like a caring and conscientious person and that's what I'd want in a realtor or any other professional. In the long run, I think realtors with the same kind of approach you had will be the winners.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:25 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,194,215 times
Quote:
Nobody begrudges someone making a living, but if they did nothing to earn their commission you can't help but resent paying them. I remember when I took the course to take he test for a real-estate license the guy who was teaching the course just talked about listing and almost nothing else. Most will do pretty much nothing to sell any particular house beyond the MLS anymore. The last time I was up looking at property I stopped by a local office to ask a few questions and "NO ONE" had an interest in going around with me and showing me properties.

They handed me a list of properties I could go look at. One I was interested in that had an out building I called the realtor about later. I asked if the out building was wired and was it on a slab? He had no idea in fact the more I asked questions the more I realized he doesn't have a clue about this place other then he has the listing. So what the hell is he being paid for? Then he never returned anymore of my phone calls I had to get in touch with the owner directly to find out what I needed to know. Most realtors are idiots from my experience and what they ultimately end up doing to actually sell your property is worth much less then the commissions they earn.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:27 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,576,309 times
In 2002, we made an offer to a house in Fort Lauderdale. Within two days, we found that the house was very close to a major highway (I-75) and the yard is very noisy (it is our fault that we just looked at the yard inside the house and didn't go into the yard at the time we made the offer). While the real reason was the noise, we later found that the house belongs to a HOA and subject to its regulation. However, our realtor (not seller's realtor) insists that we can't back out of contract. We told her that as I know, if there is an HOA, we should be informed and we have the right to cancel the contract if we don't want to be ruled by a HOA. She told us that the law only applies to condo association. So we were forced to lose our deposit. Three year Later, I find out she lied to us. I was told that I can go after her to get her license suspended. I decide that it is not worth my time and trouble. However, I learned that not to trust realtors.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:37 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,194,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
In 2002, we made an offer to a house in Fort Lauderdale. Within two days, we found that the house was very close to a major highway (I-75) and the yard is very noisy (it is our fault that we just looked at the yard inside the house and didn't go into the yard at the time we made the offer). While the real reason was the noise, we later found that the house belongs to a HOA and subject to its regulation. However, our realtor (not seller's realtor) insists that we can't back out of contract. We told her that as I know, if there is an HOA, we should be informed and we have the right to cancel the contract if we don't want to be ruled by a HOA. She told us that the law only applies to condo association. So we were forced to lose our deposit. Three year Later, I find out she lied to us. I was told that I can go after her to get her license suspended. I decide that it is not worth my time and trouble. However, I learned that not to trust realtors.
Worse then the worst used car salesman and their lies can ruin your life, a house is your a biggest investment, it's not like you just you got a bad car you can get rid of. Now they are so desperate I would not trust any of them. You always need to do your own homework no matter what, don't trust them.

Last edited by macguy; 05-16-2007 at 10:31 AM..

Old 05-16-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Just another thought on this statement, with the internet so much a part of buying and selling homes now, statements like this have become cliches.

We, as buyers and sellers, can see much of the inside of your industry if we choose to, so we know that your industry mags encourage you to respond in this manner - verbatim.

Q: "What do I say when a seller challenges my 6% commission?"

A: "If I as a realtor cannot protect my own commission, how can you expect me to protect your price?"

My Answer: "If doing a good job for me requires that you receive 6%, then we have reached an impasse."

Old 05-16-2007, 12:00 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,836,150 times
Well next time your at the Dr's office ask him to cut his rates. They to are a little excessive don't ya think?

So 6% is too high. You do realize this gets split so your realtor will end up with 3% which then again is split x% to the agent the rest to the office. Please note everything else in this country has gone up to. Not sure what you gas prices are like in Florida but its $3 a gallon in Charlotte.

You could always do FSBO if you are that much against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals