Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 08:51 AM

422 posts, read 1,475,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Here is my question - am I shooting myself in the foot when I don't relay how many problems I am solving along the way?
you shld solve the problems (only if they don't require the clients inputs at all) for your clients and then inform them about what you've done afterwards. no need to make them sound like really big deals but just briefly relate the issues and what you've done to address them as soon as they arise

that way...they don't get stressed from thinking that they have to provide solutions to the problems...and they'd still know that you've helped them accomplish a lot to make their experience as stress-free as possible

that's how you justify what you are gonna earn. it makes your clients feel that it's all worthwhile to pay for a stress-free experience/transaction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 09:59 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatturkey View Post
you shld solve the problems (only if they don't require the clients inputs at all) for your clients and then inform them about what you've done afterwards. no need to make them sound like really big deals but just briefly relate the issues and what you've done to address them as soon as they arise

that way...they don't get stressed from thinking that they have to provide solutions to the problems...and they'd still know that you've helped them accomplish a lot to make their experience as stress-free as possible

that's how you justify what you are gonna earn. it makes your clients feel that it's all worthwhile to pay for a stress-free experience/transaction
I guess the real difference is that I sell a lot of houses, therefore I realize when I have a stress-free time with a lender, I don't need proof that he/she did their job well. The proof was that it got done without a lot of BS.

People who buy and sell homes often also don't need that proof with their Realtor. They have had the knuckleheads and know the difference. I have just closed with a client on their 4th house with me - a total of 7 transactions (buying and selling the previous 3). Believe me, he doesn't want to be bothered with the details. His attitude is the reason he has me is to make it easy for him.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:11 PM

422 posts, read 1,475,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I guess the real difference is that I sell a lot of houses, therefore I realize when I have a stress-free time with a lender, I don't need proof that he/she did their job well. The proof was that it got done without a lot of BS.

People who buy and sell homes often also don't need that proof with their Realtor. They have had the knuckleheads and know the difference. I have just closed with a client on their 4th house with me - a total of 7 transactions (buying and selling the previous 3). Believe me, he doesn't want to be bothered with the details. His attitude is the reason he has me is to make it easy for him.
sure...it was just a suggestion since you asked. but if you already have the answer....then i guess that was a rheotorical question not to be answered by anyone.

i have bought/sold 4 houses already....i'd still like to be kept in the loop if something crops up (that's how i learn the ropes too and not just stick my head in the ground). but if your clients are all comfortable with not knowing....by all means go ahead and do what you've always been doing. why do you have any doubts at all?

Old 05-31-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatturkey View Post
sure...it was just a suggestion since you asked. but if you already have the answer....then i guess that was a rheotorical question not to be answered by anyone.

i have bought/sold 4 houses already....i'd still like to be kept in the loop if something crops up (that's how i learn the ropes too and not just stick my head in the ground). but if your clients are all comfortable with not knowing....by all means go ahead and do what you've always been doing. why do you have any doubts at all?
Sorry, yes, I guess it was a rhetorical question. Usually I can tell the comfort level clients have with information pertaining to their transaction. Some like to know everything, so I tell them. In fact, they make great sounding boards. Others think it's my job to handle it and don't really want to know. It's just that every great once in a while I get someone who gets stressed and upset if they know the problems, even though I fix them. Then they get upset if they feel they are not informed of every little detail. I guess they really feel there should never be a problem - and, unfortunately, in today's lending world, that's not the case.

Again, it is fantastic when both agents do their jobs, the title company is good (and most are) and the lender comes through. I have had more than my fair share of those, so I shouldn't complain.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:30 AM

410 posts, read 1,293,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberFlynn View Post
I have a closing on Wed that my buyers have no idea has been such a headache. Why don't they realize it? Because they have a good buyer's agent. I have sheltered them, protected them, and done all of the running around/phone calling/paper pushing for them. I want them to think that it's been a smooth process, relieving them from as much stress as possible, I feel like that's my job. Maybe I should start calling them every fifteen minutes when I do something else to move their closing along so that they understand just how very valuable and irreplaceable I am??
Ditto!!! I just recently had a closing that seriously...if they didn't have me for a buyer's agent, they would have never gotten their dream house. In addition, this was a multiple offer situation in which my interactions with the listing agent during the offer process, won them the house (and they weren't the highest offer!) But I didn't go bragging to them about it.. the rest of the deal was a nightmare but I didn't tell them all the details because it would have done nothing but stress them out.. so just because it "looks" easy doesn't mean it is!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:54 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,926 times
For the OP to be asking what a buyer's agent does for the buyer ... after the transaction has closed is very alarming! It's like asking what a lawyer does for you after you won the case. -or- What did the mechanic do AFTER he repaired your car - very weird.

I can only hope the OP took the time to understand the paperwork s/he signed at closing. OR is this the type of buyer who, years from now will cry that he didn't understand the mortgage agreement??? Yikes.

My suggestion is to shop for professionals BEFORE you hire one. If I may be so blunt - the OP doesn't sound like a very savvy business man/woman. I honestly worry about people like this and try never to do business with them.

Please be smart!

Old 06-14-2010, 09:14 AM

232 posts, read 542,615 times
I am in the middle of what I thought would be an easy deal, that turned out to be a deal from hell....and not because of anything the Realtors did.

She has been right beside me every step of the way to work things out.

We're still not done, and I may still lose this deal and have to return to the market for a purchase at a later time. If I can close, it will be in no small part due to her assistance. If I don't, I would not consider getting in to the game again without her or another buyer broker's help.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:28 PM

61 posts, read 239,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
My agent advised us on negotiations, played the bad guy during the negotiations, fielded email after email of inane questions from others who didn't know how to do THEIR jobs, caught & confronted the sellers trying to cheat us, put up with my venting and threatening to walk away several times, held our hands during closing and then took us out to lunch. Now that we've closed, he handled the extra amendment that came up during closing and accepted my friend request on his Facebook page.

Oh, and he showed us houses and stuff and wrote up contracts for 3 houses... but that was the easy part.
I wish I could find a buyer's agent like this one. The problem is that some agents think that showing houses is his or her major duty (if not the only duty). It is really hard to find a good and experienced buyer's agent. I wish there is a website where buyers could post why they like their agents and recommend them to others. Why buyers post their questions on message board like this when they have their own agents. I suspect it is because their agents cannot answer some of their questions (or they could not get an satisfactory answers from their agents).

Old 06-26-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker123 View Post
I wish I could find a buyer's agent like this one. The problem is that some agents think that showing houses is his or her major duty (if not the only duty). It is really hard to find a good and experienced buyer's agent. I wish there is a website where buyers could post why they like their agents and recommend them to others. Why buyers post their questions on message board like this when they have their own agents. I suspect it is because their agents cannot answer some of their questions (or they could not get an satisfactory answers from their agents).
We have one on our city's Realtor site, that the public can access. It's the same site that they can look up listings: www.har.com

My own is Cheryl Johns Client Experience Rating - HAR.com
HAR (Houston Association of Realtors) sends one out everytime a transaction closes. We cannot choose which ones they go to - they have to go to every one. They just started doing it last year. Not every client takes the time to do it, though. I have even had flowers sent to me after the transaction - but they didn't complete the survey (maybe it went into spam, who knows). I do want to point out something - all of these people were great buyers and/or sellers. It's difficult to be a great agent with a jerk client - in fact, it's impossible, they just won't let you.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 06-26-2010 at 10:56 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Most vie for your business and try to do a good job; they mean well, but unfortunately they just don't offer me anything that isn't already publicly accessible information. I haven't found anyone who went out of their way for me even though we have a few buyers agents whom we agreed to work with. Sending links of homes that I have already seen or don't have the specs that I want does nothing for me. I guess I am just frustrated by this situation. In my state there are way too many agents/brokers even for the massive inventory available.

My point is - most traditional agents don't realize that they need to preserve the value of their job by offering more concrete information about a home or area (i.e. everything that has been done to the home, school district info, zoning issues etc. instead of telling you that you need to do your own research), especially with redfin and other online services now available to the general public. It is up to you to create a need for your services. This does NOT mean that you refuse to deal directly with a non-agent when they call your information line so that everyone has to be forced to hire an agent. In fact this will diminish your reputation and in the end, drive people away from using your services.

As for the situation with my hubby - First thanks to people who responded and I did not mean to offend with my rant on this thread. We consulted lawyers who gave more concrete information. The brokers we consulted in person weren't as specific, so that was not as useful. There was some conflicting information between the two sources, but when push comes to shove I would rely more on the information given by the lawyer. That's the advantage of 3 years of law school, I guess.
I wasn't going to reply but I think I am going to, after all.
First, you need to know the difference between a lawyer and a Realtor. One know the law (a LOT better than the Realtor) and the other knows real estate (a LOT better than a lawyer). This would seem to be a no-brainer, but apparently not.

Second, I have worked with people such as yourself (prove to me you are worth it, Realtor!) for very short periods and have always felt very good when I finally told them the relationship just was not working out for me. Then it was very satisfying to watch them get into a gigantic mess - which most know-it-all-but-really-know-nothing people do (almost immediately). Well, gee, you were in sort of a short sale mess when you hit this forum.

My good clients know I am worth it - just like the other agents' clients do here on this forum. That works out for them in the form of saved money. Hard cash. Less stress. People will always work with who they like (and it works both ways, imagine that). As far as driving your ilk away from using my services - I am so okay with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals