Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When Will the Housing Market Recover?
2010 7 5.65%
2011 10 8.06%
2012 16 12.90%
2013 23 18.55%
2014 11 8.87%
2015 13 10.48%
2016 5 4.03%
2017 1 0.81%
2018 beyond 22 17.74%
Never 16 12.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:25 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,097 times

Advertisements

In the area where I am looking to buy (west central FL) there are many homes to be found that are now selling for less than they cost when brand new in 2003. In fact, we paid $118k for our first home in 2003 and I know from recent sales in the neighborhood that it would not fetch that much right now.

I think some of these HOA fees are also out of control. $95 a month for a middle class neighborhood where all you get is a playground. That is driving prices down in those neighborhoods because nobody can afford that on top of high energy bills, high taxes, and high homeowner's insurance here in FL. I've watched several short sale listings drop like rocks as the months go by. One is now $99k for a nice block and stucco home built in 2004 with almost 2,000 sf, cul-de-sac, fenced yard, and screened porch. (and this is a decent neighborhood near shopping, etc in Groveland, FL)

I think we are seeing the new norm in some areas right now. Higher interest rates, higher gas prices, higher energy costs, etc will squeeze budgets and force home prices to adjust downward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 01:57 AM

1,229 posts, read 859,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
About a year after Obama is out of office.

He is bad news to employment, higher taxes starting in 2011 and more and more and more.

Till these and other things get rectified CORRECTLY it'll morph (unknown at this time) into other artificial sour things.
My god man....I can't stand Obama and the Democrats, but the leadership within the Republican party are all avowed globalists.

Globalism is the true culprit behind the country's downdraft in standard of living and future purchasing power...

It's age old : There's 16 slices in a pizza - It used to be that ''Capital'' was entitled to 9 of them and Labor 8....

Now ''Capital'' feels like they're entitled to 12 slices---and they're taking them---and labor can have the scraps.

With the exception of more ''bubble concoctions'' this country will never re balance its standard of living until the country's workforce becomes engaged in full-scale production of capital goods...

Every great/balanced economy needs butchers, bakers and candlestick makers. The Chinese are making all the candles and the Mexicans are doing some of the baking and butchering. A service economy just won't cut it...

I hope there's some *real* pitchfork and torch pushback one of these days...

Old 06-22-2010, 02:10 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
... i said short gold. ....
Short gold when currency is being created at a 10% higher rate
that the economy is creating real wealth? They're doing it in the US,
Europe, Japan, who knows what the're doing in China and other places.

Short gold? No thanks, gold is money.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:36 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Hansproof, Calif is a different story. Land out there isn't cheap. Actually, everything is expensive in Cal. Even with prices coming down, it's still expensive. That will never change.
Not in some parts.
Undone by their dreams - latimes.com

Old 06-27-2010, 08:14 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
I see everyone saying housing prices are too high?? Why. By historical standards they are quite low. Sure, it will be a few years but housing will come back. Look at history when housing was terrible in the early 80's and it came back with interest rates at 15%. It will come back again. Builders aren't building but as the economy gets better more people will want housing and eventually the supply and demand will level out. As others have said unemployment is the key. When it goes down even those already employed will feel better about buying.

In the early 80's and early 90's the same stuff was being said, double dip recession, never going to recover etc and none of it happened. When people turn this negative is usually when the seeds for a recovery happen. Be interesting to see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Through out history these asset bubbles take about as long to deflate if not a little bit longer, as they did to inflate. This bubble may have started as early as the mid 1950s or the start of the baby boomers entering there peak earning years in the early 1980s. Housing prices do need to come down much more than where they are today and they without a doubt will.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:23 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I see everyone saying housing prices are too high?? Why. By historical standards they are quite low. Sure, it will be a few years but housing will come back. Look at history when housing was terrible in the early 80's and it came back with interest rates at 15%. It will come back again. Builders aren't building but as the economy gets better more people will want housing and eventually the supply and demand will level out. As others have said unemployment is the key. When it goes down even those already employed will feel better about buying.

In the early 80's and early 90's the same stuff was being said, double dip recession, never going to recover etc and none of it happened. When people turn this negative is usually when the seeds for a recovery happen. Be interesting to see how it goes.
Please explain to me how "by historical standards they are quite low".

Frankly, nothing happening right now has any precedence in history. Anything remotely like this, we've always spent our way out of it... So, what happens when the debt gets so high that you can't spend anymore?

Take a look at how things were in your early 80s and early 90s - we had plenty of room to spend our way out of that back then... But, what about now?

U.S. National Debt Graph: What the Press Won't Tell You

Old 06-28-2010, 08:01 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
Right on, that is the biggest difference and previous recessions - the amount of debt people are carrying. Absolutely the federal debt is a huge concern, just as much as europe and its just as bad.

But I'll still put my money in a recovery and not the end of the world. I continue to put money in my 401k, hold my real estate and hope for better days. I keep hearing this time is different and it is. But go back and read articles from 1991 and they say the same thing, this time is different because the consumer is tapped out etc. It will be interesting to see but I bet we have a tough, slow road ahead but it will be in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Please explain to me how "by historical standards they are quite low".

Frankly, nothing happening right now has any precedence in history. Anything remotely like this, we've always spent our way out of it... So, what happens when the debt gets so high that you can't spend anymore?

Take a look at how things were in your early 80s and early 90s - we had plenty of room to spend our way out of that back then... But, what about now?

U.S. National Debt Graph: What the Press Won't Tell You

Old 06-28-2010, 09:20 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
Asking the question "When will the housing market recover?" is kinda like asking "when will the first snow of the winter fall?"

It depends entirely on which part of the country you are talking about. Some never will be back to the levels they were out a few years ago. Some areas suffered very little in the recent downturn.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 AM

264 posts, read 493,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Asking the question "When will the housing market recover?" is kinda like asking "when will the first snow of the winter fall?"

It depends entirely on which part of the country you are talking about. Some never will be back to the levels they were out a few years ago. Some areas suffered very little in the recent downturn.
Not really, the voting blows you out of the water

Old 06-28-2010, 11:10 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I thnik we may have a warped sense of what has really happened to people from the media. Proably 90% are fine in this country but 10% is alot of people. I was watching where geithner bascailly sadi histoprially 65% of amereican have been able to afford to buy and own their own home and it grew duringthe last deacdes. Supply and demand from cheap ;easy credit which is what was long a government goal.Looks likie governamnt is rethinking this from the regualtion coming down which the real effect of is to contract credit in the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate