Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 08:41 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times

Advertisements

What does the agent representing you say in regards to the contract and outs?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 09:30 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Brandon, you just like to hear people admit they don't have an agent and royally screwed up. If this guy had an agent who was familiar with building they would have discussed flipping the house or at least known to ask the right questions.

And it makes one wonder when people ask why they need an agent for new construction ?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:43 AM

163 posts, read 452,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeforest View Post
Now on I will have good real estate agent, whenever I buy new home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
He obviously doesn't have one and has realized his error.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:32 AM

7 posts, read 35,732 times
Default Driveway Layout

Hydrant is about 10 or 11 feet in from the side and 7 or 8 feet deep from the front
Attached Thumbnails
Driveway issue with Home Builder-layout.jpg  

Old 06-25-2010, 09:51 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Can you choose another lot?

Old 06-25-2010, 10:06 AM

I just draw what the driveway will looks like, with the location of the hydrant. My math is not that great, and number I provided is not 100% but is it close. I know 1 degree or 1 foot will make big difference.

Other then this driveway issue, I cannot complain about the builder.
We asked hydrant question before contract, they said that lot is wide enough so it will not be any issue.

I think they have totally miss hydrant in the blueprint and get city approval. If they had pushed home 3 feet on other side then it will have less angled and that is in the building block.

Also, we wanted to flip home because morning room will get direct sun light in the morning, but they already get approved and land elevation from the city and can not change that.

At this point I cannot select other lot; they already started foundation two day ago.
But Sales Manager is working with upper level, and I will get some answer soon, I hope it work out for us.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:32 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Oh, man, there is an electric box too? Given the layout you provided, your builder messed up. That is obvious that the driveway cannot go on that side, and they should have noticed that. I see now why they had to angle the driveway, it was less about the hydrant, and more about the combination of the electric box and the hydrant.

Because you were in contract before the plans were finalized, and pointed out the problem with the hydrant to the builder before the foundation went in (if I followed that all correctly), I would say you do have a legal basis to require them to tear out the foundation at their cost, redo the plans, and either get a new permit and flip the house, or repour a few feet over. It will cost a lot of money for them, and they aren't going to want to do it, so I suggest you see an attorney.

The only other possibility I can see is: If they move the electric box, will the driveway fit on that side of the hydrant and still be within the building envelope? Because that would be a lot less angle that direction. I don't know what type of electric box it is and if moving it is a possibility. It might be cheaper than digging up all that concrete and repouring.

*Edit, I was going off the picture, and just noticed the fact that the hydrant is 10' in. If that is 10' from the property line, then that won't work either, since you probably have side setbacks. So you probably would have to go around the hydrant on that side. I would see an attorney for sure.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:34 AM

If the layout of the driveway is odd as in my case, will it reduce my home value when I sell?

Old 06-25-2010, 12:12 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Brandon, you just like to hear people admit they don't have an agent and royally screwed up. If this guy had an agent who was familiar with building they would have discussed flipping the house or at least known to ask the right questions.

And it makes one wonder when people ask why they need an agent for new construction ?
Yes, I suspect they don't have representation. I don't like making people admit they made a mistake so much as finding out where they are. I prefer to lead people to answers if possible rather than just throw an opinion out there. I don't know what the OP knows or has done. People do come here with agents seeking outside advice and the OP never said if they didn't or did have representation.

If they have one, I want to know what someone familiar with the builder told them so I can confirm or offer an alternative suggestion. If they don't have an agent and don't want the home anymore, then I would tell them try and cancel. If necessary get an attorney involved. Then they can consider representation and get another lot or home.

Ultimately, their answer and repercussions if any are in the contract.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:26 PM

I do not have real estate agent, but base on the advice that I have collected, here is what I am going to do.
I will find out how much my home will depreciate because of the bad driveway (may be 3% to 6%)
I will ask builder to give me that much incentives and provide little wider driveway. I have talk with sales manages and will see what is their response.
If that did not workout by this Monday, I will seek attorney involve
Please let me know if you have any recommendation regarding to this.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate