Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 04:05 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,952 times

Advertisements

We had a closing on our old home and my husband went there to hand over some extra keys. He noticed that the owner had contractors remove from our old home the expensive built-in cherry hardwood cabinets we put in just last year! :P

It was $15k worth of nice built in cabinets! I'm appalled that people are so wasteful these days. The cabinets have a neutral style so can be salvaged and used in other rooms. If we had known the new owners were going to get rid of them, we would have taken them with us. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 04:22 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,450,935 times
I assume this was like an entertainment center or something?

Old 07-30-2010, 04:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
60 years of the good life. many now were born in it and know nothing else.
only the old people remember hard times. when i got here i saw kids throwing eggs at the backside of the welfare office. i laughed. in france if you are poor you wont throw eggs, you will eat them. america and its fake poor, LOL.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I assume this was like an entertainment center or something?
Yes, they are floor to ceiling built-in bookshelves and entertainment unit that flanks both sides of a fireplace so pretty big. There's dead space on either side of the fireplace if the cabinets aren't there.

The quality of the material and workmanship is pretty high. My husband was fuming when he saw what happened. I guess lesson learned is not to look back once you close on your old home. :P

Old 07-30-2010, 05:34 PM

718 posts, read 2,080,065 times
That was pretty thoughtless on their part, but then again maybe they are giving them to a family member. You can't go home again as the saying says.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
That was pretty thoughtless on their part, but then again maybe they are giving them to a family member. You can't go home again as the saying says.

Why is it thoughtless?

Sometimes those built in entertainment centers don't work with people's freakin' huge tv sets. I have seen people remove them because they are music fiends and they have a special cabinet for their stereo equipment.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:19 PM

Hey Silverfall....

This is Kimchee's hubby....

The set was really not an entertainment center. We took the old plain open box shelving on either side of the fireplace and replaced it with a medium brown (cherry) set of enclosed cabinets.

The upper shelving was all using frosted glass and could hold media or books. The lower shelving was deep enough to (barely) fit a full sized receiver and its wires out the back.

We had the two center cabinets on either side of the fireplace glazed so a remote would work through it. There are also outlets in the one cabinet to the left.

Now, additional things we also added were things like ambient lighting on the top of the cabinets coming off the ceiling. They are removing that too. Also, we had 6 recessed lights that are in a pattern that followed the fireplace. Gone.

This was not built as an entertainment center, it was built as a set of matching cabinets that could house an entertainment center. It was very nice looking but neutral. For someone to take something like that and just wreck it on day 1 is horrible. This isn't glass bricks, ultra modern or Donald Trump Gold Plated. For someone to come in day one and wreck $12,000+ worth of improvements shows something a bit off.

You would think that paint would be considered before fake antique bronzed vine candelabra wall mounts.......

Last edited by kimchee; 07-30-2010 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: barley -> Barely

Old 07-30-2010, 06:21 PM

PS, the TV we had was a 50" plasma that fit up, with a regular weighted base, on top of the mantle.

ANYTHING would fit on there, and if it didn't, the brick wall behind the plaster would hold it. BTW, "she doesn't watch TV".....

Old 07-30-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
Hubby: They were letting the handyman take them.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Hey Silverfall....

This is Kimchee's hubby....

The set was really not an entertainment center. We took the old plain open box shelving on either side of the fireplace and replaced it with a medium brown (cherry) set of enclosed cabinets.

The upper shelving was all using frosted glass and could hold media or books. The lower shelving was deep enough to (barely) fit a full sized receiver and its wires out the back.

We had the two center cabinets on either side of the fireplace glazed so a remote would work through it. There are also outlets in the one cabinet to the left.

Now, additional things we also added were things like ambient lighting on the top of the cabinets coming off the ceiling. They are removing that too. Also, we had 6 recessed lights that are in a pattern that followed the fireplace. Gone.

This was not built as an entertainment center, it was built as a set of matching cabinets that could house an entertainment center. It was very nice looking but neutral. For someone to take something like that and just wreck it on day 1 is horrible. This isn't glass bricks, ultra modern or Donald Trump Gold Plated. For someone to come in day one and wreck $12,000+ worth of improvements shows something a bit off.

You would think that paint would be considered before fake antique bronzed vine candelabra wall mounts.......

I am sure it was nice looking, but some people have a shrine to their televisions and stereo equipment. Maybe they just didn't like them. If it didn't work for them, it didn't work for them. It doesn't sound like they wasted them. I bet the handyman was drooling over the insanely nice cabinets that he just got. How is that wasteful?

And no, I don't think it is a bit off. If she doesn't watch tv maybe that is the reason for removing them. Maybe they thought they were too overpowering in the room for them. I just don't get how it could possibly be thoughtless that they are starting to make the home they way they want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate