Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:11 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Hire an appraiser. Since you have elected to not have representation, you'll need to decide what to do from there on out.
What she said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 09:44 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
Square footage is determined by measuring the outside of the walls, not the inside.

If the floorplan and layout works for you, why be so hung up on the EXACT square footage? Sure, you want the measurements to be accurate so you know what you're getting, and the bank needs to know that the value is there. But in my many years as an appraiser, I have found that people who get hung up on square footage are generally into a "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality. Or "my house is bigger than yours". I've seen people absolutely fall in love with a house, only to discover that the square footage was not as much as they thought it was. Then all of a sudden they wouldn't be caught dead in it.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:53 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Did you make an offer on the house sight unseen or did you enter the property before you made an offer? If you viewed the property and the size worked for you to the point that you made an offer what difference could it possibly make if someone's measure was not accurate?

As a seller I would not offer a concession for a discrepancy in square footage.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:30 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
If an appraiser comes in at 3900 SF, how much does the price go up?

Old 10-14-2010, 12:40 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Did you make an offer on the house sight unseen or did you enter the property before you made an offer? If you viewed the property and the size worked for you to the point that you made an offer what difference could it possibly make if someone's measure was not accurate?

As a seller I would not offer a concession for a discrepancy in square footage.
Totally agree. You saw what you were making an offer on. The house should be no less functional than what you were thinking when you saw it.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If an appraiser comes in at 3900 SF, how much does the price go up?
Love it!

Old 10-14-2010, 12:56 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I can tell you about measuring square footage on commercial properties. Two industry trade groups, BOMA and IFMA have a differant formula for measuring square footage and both are considered right. One uses a total building square footage formula and the other uses a usable space formula.

On that stipulation couldn't a home also have differant legal square footage amount? Someone mentioned measuring the outside diameter of a building. Lets say that you have a 2 or 3 story home. What about the stairway? Do you consider it or deduct it from square footage? I am sure that other scenarios could come into the picture. I for one would want to measure the size of each room to determine usable square footage even if that is not the normal way to determine the size of the home. For me if I am happy with the size and it meets my needs and the price is right then why hold a deal up because of this issue?

Old 10-14-2010, 02:22 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Just to add confusion to the fire, I think that there are actually 3 standards in the US (doesn't make it much of a standard does it?) used to determine the square footage.

Houses aren't priced by the square foot, flooring is.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:55 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
In the local real estate class, they teach that if you have 10 people (in the industry, so real estate agents, appraisers, inspectors, carpet cleaners, whoever) measure a house, they will get 10 different answers. The difference between the lowest and highest can be substantial.

For that reason, our listings have to say where the measurement came from, so the buyer can "measure" how accurate it might or might not be. If it is from the building plans, it is likely to be more accurate than if it is "agent measured". An appraiser may not subtract out something like a clear through 2nd story entrance area, so might overestimate on a two story.

However, it is important to note that USABLE square footage is much more important than ACTUAL square footage. I would much rather buy a 1250 square foot house with no hallways than a 1500 square foot house with a wasted 200 square feet. The number is just a number, how it lives is much more important.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:37 PM

11 posts, read 28,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Square footage is determined by measuring the outside of the walls, not the inside.

If the floorplan and layout works for you, why be so hung up on the EXACT square footage? Sure, you want the measurements to be accurate so you know what you're getting, and the bank needs to know that the value is there. But in my many years as an appraiser, I have found that people who get hung up on square footage are generally into a "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality. Or "my house is bigger than yours". I've seen people absolutely fall in love with a house, only to discover that the square footage was not as much as they thought it was. Then all of a sudden they wouldn't be caught dead in it.

I could care less about the jonses, but 20% is a big swing in squarefootage. Plus, I want to know that I'm paying a fair price for the home - and price per square feet tends to be one indicator of value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate