Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:07 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,156,851 times

Advertisements

We recently listed our house with the local office of a national real estate company. I asked the realtor (new to the business) to let me preview the description and photos for the listing before posting them. The agent did not. We were horrified to see what was written and the poor photos! They were photos taken before the house was ready to be photographed--lots of clutter, poor angles, really bad. The agent rarely responds to emails/phone calls and makes excuses about coming back to take new photos. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 11:19 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,203,029 times
Fire them.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:53 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,747,431 times
Agents have an obligation to follow the instructions of their clients (as long as the instructions are legal.) Tell the agent what you want done (by email) and give him/her a deadline. If it doesn't get done to your satisfaction, talk to the broker (agents are really agents of the broker not the seller-your listing is the broker's listing) and say you want another agent to handle it.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:09 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Call their principal broker and ask that another agent be assigned to assist you in the sale of your home.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:32 PM

43,308 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Call their principal broker and ask that another agent be assigned to assist you in the sale of your home.
Ditto. Yep. That's it.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:35 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,315,772 times
When faced with this in our office, we ask the client EXACTLY what they want in their listing and are happy to oblige. Quite frankly, (and humbly) I think our description is usually better than the clients, but then again, we don't know it all.

I think firing an agent is a bit on the extreme side, unless one gets completely stonewalled.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:45 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,815,163 times
I had a somewhat similar problem, what i did was took my own pictures and had them put in my own description with their help to get it right.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:50 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,315,331 times
You have asked a question that requires more than a few words to answer. Please be certain that you understand that you hired someone without investigation. You have some obligation to accept responsibility for that decision. On the other hand, however, others who have written before me, are very correct. Agents have a responsibility to serve their clients according to how the client wants to be served. Just be aware that the agent may want out of the contract as badly as you want to back out.

You have entered into a employment contract. You can not just "fire" an agent because they put the wrong picture up, etc. Obviously, we are looking for performance of promises made by each party. So, what do you do. My first inclination is to arrange a meeting with the agent and their broker/sales manager. Maybe some serious learning can be so that "everybody wins."

Old 12-17-2010, 06:02 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,156,851 times
Thank you all for the comments. I want to maintain a good relationship since this realty is the only one who was even interested in the listing. My plan is to take my own photos, put them on a disk and then go in and talk with the agent and maybe with the broker. My frustration is that the agent doesn't seem to be reading emails and doesn't respond to phone calls. I'm concerned that because this agent lacks experience, will they work this listing? Will they be able to negotiate? How will they handle the prospective buyers? I have to get this house sold--it's not an option. I'm used to sharp agents who try hard and communicate well.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:21 PM

165 posts, read 588,872 times
Like tomocox said, you entered into a binding contract and they do not have to let you out of it. I would go see the broker of the company immediately and asked to either have them appoint another realtor to your home, or let you out of your listing contract. There is no excuse for an agent not getting back to you in a timely manner. About the pictures, I have clients that would rather take their pics and thats fine with them. I always go over my ad with the client BEFORE I put it in the paper or magazine. Best of luck to you!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate