Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times

Advertisements

Specific state would be Florida. Just wondering if there is a time period that a seller should be sending a fully executed signed contract to the buyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 09:09 PM

219 posts, read 541,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Specific state would be Florida. Just wondering if there is a time period that a seller should be sending a fully executed signed contract to the buyer.
No law/statute in FL that I am aware of.

As to "should return the documents signed", the buyer submits an offer and if it is not accepted in a timely manner, the offer may be deemed stale and void - to protect the buyer. That doesn't help you, and it stinks from the buyers' point of view (particularly if you heard they want to accept it), but nothing can force a seller into accepting the offer.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:09 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersied View Post
No law/statute in FL that I am aware of.

As to "should return the documents signed", the buyer submits an offer and if it is not accepted in a timely manner, the offer may be deemed stale and void - to protect the buyer. That doesn't help you, and it stinks from the buyers' point of view (particularly if you heard they want to accept it), but nothing can force a seller into accepting the offer.
Ok but what if the seller accepts the offer but does not deliver a signed copy to the buyer. Is the contract still enforceable? Or does a signed copy by both parties need to be in the hands of the buyer for the contract to be enforceable?

Old 06-01-2011, 05:15 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Ok but what if the seller accepts the offer but does not deliver a signed copy to the buyer. Is the contract still enforceable? Or does a signed copy by both parties need to be in the hands of the buyer for the contract to be enforceable?
It is a legal question, but I believe that where I work, communication of acceptance means you are under contract.

In other words, the other party is holding a contract with your signature which may be enforceable, so you are under contract.

My first listing closing in real estate, the buyer's agent never gave the buyers a signed contract. They never saw it until closing.
I had a copy at the closing table that I gave to them. They were under contract, regardless, and my seller could have enforced the contract within the contract terms and applicable law.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:02 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Ok but what if the seller accepts the offer but...
This is MUCH too vague.
Absent the signed document in the hands of the buyer (or at the very least a licensed agent) there is NO contract.

That an over-anxious buyer, without representation by attorney or agent, will tolerate or be coerced into being played with by an unscrupulous seller... isn't really actionable.

caveat emptor

Old 06-01-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This is MUCH too vague.
Absent the signed document in the hands of the buyer (or at the very least a licensed agent) there is NO contract.

That an over-anxious buyer, without representation by attorney or agent, will tolerate or be coerced into being played with by an unscrupulous seller... isn't really actionable.

caveat emptor
I believe you are in error.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:08 AM

Well it is state specific, and he did mention FL. FL follows the Statute of Frauds, which includes a provision for conveyance of real property. That means it must be in writing, signed and delivered to all parties, TO BE ENFORCEABLE.

I'm sure certain situations will fill in gaps, like when a person relies on the oral representation that a contract has been signed (but not delivered), or even a duly appointed agent has received the signed docs for the principle, and/or signed under a Power of Attorney. But there is a difference between damages (money back or applied) and specific performance (forcing a sale).

Going back to the OP in FL, any seller today can easily fax, hand deliver*, scan and e-mail in todays tech world (not to mention the Realtors being there to do so, if they are involved). Practically speaking, I believe they are entertaining other offers at this time (assuming you are waiting for the signatures).

edit - (* or mail )..

Last edited by Jersied; 06-01-2011 at 07:25 AM..

Old 06-01-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Well it is state specific, and he did mention FL. FL follows the Statute of Frauds, which includes a provision for conveyance of real property. That means it must be in writing, signed and delivered to all parties, TO BE ENFORCEABLE.

I'm sure certain situations will fill in gaps, like when a person relies on the oral representation that a contract has been signed (but not delivered), or even a duly appointed agent has received the signed docs for the principle, and/or signed under a Power of Attorney. But there is a difference between damages (money back or applied) and specific performance (forcing a sale).

Going back to the OP in FL, any seller today can easily fax, hand deliver, scan and e-mail in todays tech world (not to mention the Realtors being there to do so, if they are involved). Practically speaking, I believe they are entertaining other offers at this time (assuming you are waiting for the signatures).
I wonder where the EMD is right now.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I wonder where the EMD is right now.
Sorry, what does EMD mean?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Sorry, what does EMD mean?
Earnest Money Deposit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate