Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:38 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,861,436 times

Advertisements

An HOA can and should at least put a lien on your house. No HOA is perfect and it can be frustrating with renters and absentee owners but I can assure you that the HOA is probably frustrated with them as well. We have issues with renters in our neighborhood too. The HOA has to go after the owners, they cannot really do anything directly to the renters because the renters are just that - renters.

You have to pay your dues though. You agreed, and even if you don't like it, they are legally owed their money. You are only hurting yourself for not paying....and now the bill has risen to $1500. I'll bet that if you do wind up selling your house, you could have a problem unless you pay what you owe. You are going to have to go to the HOA to get purchase the latest copy of the bylaws, etc. for the new owners and that will be in the contract. Even if you have an old copy - they will want a new one in case any changes/additions have been made.

Let me ask you - have you been in contact with your HOA regarding the neighbors? Have you attended meetings, volunteered, etc? If you haven't - you have no one to blame but yourself. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 07:02 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,384,833 times
I assure you that an HOA does file a lien before attempting to foreclose on a property. Due to the cost to do so, the HOA will try alternative options to collect on debts before attempting to foreclose. The process is slow and expensive due to legal fees.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:19 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,524,755 times
And liens always look so nice on background checks. They do show up.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:58 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,384,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
And liens always look so nice on background checks. They do show up.
They are like tacky, ugly wallpaper when it comes to background checks. Not good.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,812,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post

Every now and then I read a story about some poor person whom the HOA foreclosed on for the dues. (Not sure how that works because the first trust would want to be covered...maybe there were no mortgages.)

At any rate, I've also read where homes were foreclosed on by the mortgage holder and a few years later the HOA comes after the owners for non-payment of the dues.

Do some google searching and see what you come up with on this.
That state laws may allow an HOA to foreclose, does not mean HOAs do.

If an HOA is successful in foreclosing on a property, the HOA becomes responsible for the first mortgage, property taxes and insurance. Unless there is substantial equity in the property, no HOA is going to even consider it.

The internet is chock full of scare stories as it relates to HOAs foreclosures. Maybe, once in a blue moon it happens.

Laws about recovery of unpaid assessments vary by state. It is not uncommon for an HOA to pursue a judgment well after the fact of a lender foreclosure or property abandonment. In some case, a court will allow a wage garnishment.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:13 AM

43,359 posts, read 77,240,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

If an HOA is successful in foreclosing on a property, the HOA becomes responsible for the first mortgage, property taxes and insurance. Unless there is substantial equity in the property, no HOA is going to even consider it.

The internet is chock full of scare stories as it relates to HOAs foreclosures. Maybe, once in a blue moon it happens.

Laws about recovery of unpaid assessments vary by state. It is not uncommon for an HOA to pursue a judgment well after the fact of a lender foreclosure or property abandonment. In some case, a court will allow a wage garnishment.
Without even trying, I know of a few around here.
Often, an HOA finds itself under water immediately on a foreclosed home. Can't re-sell it and paying through the wazoo to keep it and keep it up.
I know one that the HOA took and let go immediately to HUD. I think it was a drug house and that the entire maneuver was strategic by the HOA to get the owner out of the neighborhood.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:54 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,221,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

You are 100% incorrect.

HOA is not responsible for the first mortgage - that remains the original mortgagee's responsibility
Insurance? Townhouse or condo HOA's usually pay for the exterior building insurance anyways, so adding a foreclosed unit is very cheap. My HOA pays around $60.00 to insure a foreclosed unit.
Property Taxes? This is a gray area. I can tell you that the city here chases after the primary mortgagee.

HOA Liens are third in line behind the mortgage company, taxes, IRS.

Also HOA foreclosures are more common than you think. Several HOA's now foreclose and rent out the properties to assist in recovering for lost dues.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:37 AM

238 posts, read 590,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
You are 100% incorrect.

HOA is not responsible for the first mortgage - that remains the original mortgagee's responsibility
Insurance? Townhouse or condo HOA's usually pay for the exterior building insurance anyways, so adding a foreclosed unit is very cheap. My HOA pays around $60.00 to insure a foreclosed unit.
Property Taxes? This is a gray area. I can tell you that the city here chases after the primary mortgagee.

Also HOA foreclosures are more common than you think. Several HOA's now foreclose and rent out the properties to assist in recovering for lost dues.

??????????????

How does the HOA secure the title w/o paying off the first mortgage?

I thought first mortgage takes precedent over any liens.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:42 AM

43,359 posts, read 77,240,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Mac View Post
??????????????

How does the HOA secure the title w/o paying off the first mortgage?

I thought first mortgage takes precedent over any liens.
Right-O!
The lien is a lien on the property, not on the borrower.
The lien is secured by an interest in the property.
The banks are glad to see an HOA make regular payments, rather than be burdened by an underwater homeowner who is in arrears.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:54 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,912,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Right-O!
The lien is a lien on the property, not on the borrower.
The lien is secured by an interest in the property.
The banks are glad to see an HOA make regular payments, rather than be burdened by an underwater homeowner who is in arrears.
At least in Florida it works just like Suncc49 said:
"You are 100% incorrect.

Also HOA foreclosures are more common than you think. Several HOA's now foreclose and rent out the properties to assist in recovering for lost dues."

The HOA DOES NOT make mortagage payments, taxes, etc. but is responsible for both the upkeep and HOA fees after they foreclose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate