Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 03:49 PM

7 posts, read 9,965 times

Advertisements

We have been looking for a house the past 2 years. We already own our current home, and are looking for a very specific set of criteria in our area that are rather hard to find. We're gardeners, and a sunny back yard is hard to find in our area! It took us 3 years to find our current house, and expect an equally long haul for this next one.

We'd also like to renovate or tear down and build new. We found an agent we liked a lot and have worked with him for the past 2 years. We were clear at the time that we knew this process would not be quick. We got close last year to purchasing a property buy after the inspection turned up things we didn't expect, we bailed. This was the start of what I think ended today with the agent dumping us.

He's been very polite and always answered emails. And we are still looking for that right house. I know they're available, and at some point need to look into agents. Any advice from realtors about the best way to approach this?

Should we do the leg work on our own (so as not to string someone along) and then look for someone? Again, this isn't a house that comes up often here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 03:53 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,505,374 times
I think you should first buy your previous realtor a really nice bottle of wine because it sounds like they had/have the patience of a saint.

With what you have being in mind so specific it probably would be best for you to do the legwork and bring in an agent when you are ready to buy.

Perhaps ya'll are being too picky in your house hunt. If all you are looking for is a sunny back yard and a old house I don't really see why it's taking you 2 years to find a house. Perhaps there is more to this than what you are posting...

Old 07-29-2011, 04:11 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,003,728 times
If you go talk to a new realtor, be very up front and clear about your timeline and needs. When I work with someone that isn't really ready to buy, I set them up to automatically receive listings that fit their general criteria. That way you can look at the listing information (more reliable than zillow or other public sites), go visit the neighborhood, and only get the realtor involved when you think you've found a gem.

If you are looking for someone to show you houses every weekend for 2 years, you will probably get fired again :-P

Old 07-29-2011, 04:13 PM

Thank you for your response. We live in a city with many mature trees and many large (3,000 sq. ft. and higher) houses. We are looking for a smaller house without the trees on neighbors' properties shading the back yard. It is fairly difficult to find, but your thought about something for the agent is already on my mind.

The agent has not shown us many houses. We have gone to open houses or I have driven by on my own. And we are ready to buy - we're pre-approved for far more than the price range in which we're looking. And I thought I was up front about our needs in the beginning, but I do appreciate your reply. Perhaps I should be clearer for the next one.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:02 PM

468 posts, read 1,380,073 times
I've got a client that's looking for a very particular property, and has been looking for 1 1/2 years with me - the previous 2 on her own. She's very patient, and so am I!

We've come across a couple and have put offers in that didn't work out - no biggie - we know the right one is out there and when it's time, it'll be time.

I've got her set up on the MLS auto email search - when something comes through that she's interested in, she'll do a drive-by to check out the area, etc. If she's interested, she'll call and we'll set an appointment. (She calls before the drive by's as well - that was I can let her know if it's ok to peek in windows! lol )

We'll go look and then in a couple of day, go back with a family member, and decide from there whether to pursue.

She's no trouble at all; we'll occasionally get together for lunch during 'dry spells'.

I hope your next agent realizes what a gem you are!

Old 07-30-2011, 08:29 AM

That's exactly what we've been doing - doing my own visits, getting emails from the MLS from the agent. Well, we'll find the right one, or perhaps just wait and do things on our own?

Old 07-30-2011, 10:34 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,227,007 times
Did your agent give you specific reasons for ending the relationship?

Old 07-30-2011, 11:24 AM

15,583 posts, read 40,455,430 times
On the flip side...I would expect that if there are so few properties that meet your needs and you aren't willing to negotiate the repairs that need to be done when you do find a place, then I would probably walk away from you as a client. Did you try and negotiate repairs or did you just bail?

If you are looking for a slim chance home to come on the market, plus are unwilling to engage in repair negotiations then the chances of ever closing a deal are pretty much non-existent and I am sure the agent values their time.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Did your agent give you specific reasons for ending the relationship?
Not specifically, but we met beforehand so he could ask me where I was in terms of purchasing. He indicated that I was being too picky, which I understand.

Silverfall, yes, we did have a bid in on a house that we pulled out of after the inspection turned up more than we thought we'd have to deal with. They offered some compensation in return, but it wasn't enough to cover what we discovered. But I can see how this was a mistake on our part and we have been more realistic since then. Thank you for saying this, though, because I would like to not be a bad client as we move forward.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:38 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,505,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemmike View Post
Not specifically, but we met beforehand so he could ask me where I was in terms of purchasing. He indicated that I was being too picky, which I understand.

Silverfall, yes, we did have a bid in on a house that we pulled out of after the inspection turned up more than we thought we'd have to deal with. They offered some compensation in return, but it wasn't enough to cover what we discovered. But I can see how this was a mistake on our part and we have been more realistic since then. Thank you for saying this, though, because I would like to not be a bad client as we move forward.
Just curious...and I may be fanning flames here...but if your plan was to renovate OR tear down and build from scratch (as indicated by your OP) then why would the amount of repairs matter? If the cost of repairs was too much why didn't you buy the land, tear down, and build new?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate