Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 01:51 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat2MT View Post
What's wrong with these statements by msdmoney? I don't see anything incorrect with this.

Buy the price and not the rate....
See my post #18.

Why not buy the price AND the rate? Prices and rates are very low right now. The last couple of times that interest rates went up significantly, prices in general did NOT come down as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 01:53 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
See my post #18.

Why not buy the price AND the rate? Prices and rates are very low right now. The last couple of times that interest rates went up significantly, prices in general did NOT come down as a result.
So you're saying buying now, while both are low is a good idea? Because that is my plan.

Once prices start going back up, I may get cut out of the market until I earn more money. And that could be 2-3 more years.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:10 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
So you're saying buying now, while both are low is a good idea? Because that is my plan.

Once prices start going back up, I may get cut out of the market until I earn more money. And that could be 2-3 more years.
Find the best deal you can and go for it. The fed just announced that rates will be kept low until some time in 2013. In some markets, supply and demand is leveling out and prices are on the upswing.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:13 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,153,177 times
Quote:

This is exactly what you should do. I'm here in DC, I just bought a condo with an interest rate of 4.25%. My loan officer told me today that interest rates will probably go up this week (to what he didn't tell me, but all signs pointed to it going up). Ask yourself if it's going to be at 4.25% a year from now, two years from now? It's the lowest its been since the 70s, I believe. I had the exact same fear as you, I didn't want to be priced out of the market, its the perfect time to buy.

Your plan is fine, just because you don't have kids now doesn't mean you won't have them in the future. If you can afford the mortgage payment, the down payments etc, get the 3 bedroom house or whatever it is. You're planning ahead!

Last edited by DomRep; 08-09-2011 at 02:25 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Find the best deal you can and go for it. The fed just announced that rates will be kept low until some time in 2013. In some markets, supply and demand is leveling out and prices are on the upswing.
Just read.
Federal Reserve to keep fed funds rate low until 2013 - Aug. 9, 2011

Yes! Some good news!

Old 08-09-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
This is exactly what you should do. I'm here in DC, I just bought a condo with an interest rate of 4.25%. My loan officer told me today that interest rates will probably go up this week (to what he didn't tell me, but all signs pointed to it going up). Ask yourself if it's going to be at 4.25% a year from now, two years from now? It's the lowest its been since the 70s, I believe. I had the exact same fear as you, I didn't want to be priced out of the market, its the perfect time to buy.

Your plan is fine, just because you don't have kids now doesn't mean you won't have them in the future. If you can afford the mortgage payment, the down payments etc, get the 3 bedroom house or whatever it is. You're planning ahead!
Yeah. The 5-7 year plan is 2 kids. Sounds like you got a good deal.

I actually had a house under contract in late 2008, right before I lost my job and the interest rate then was 6%, which then was considered good. We got the house for $167k for only 2 bedrooms. Now I see 3 and 4 for that price.

I am so glad to hear rate will remain low for a good while.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times
Quote:
Yeah. The 5-7 year plan is 2 kids. Sounds like you got a good deal.

I actually had a house under contract in late 2008, right before I lost my job and the interest rate then was 6%, which then was considered good. We got the house for $167k for only 2 bedrooms. Now I see 3 and 4 for that price.

I am so glad to hear rate will remain low for a good while.
Miss Crabcakes,

Give some thought to breaking your lease as well. Don't let the fear of not wanting to pay $2,200 end up costing you MUCH more in higher interest rates and home prices. You may be able to do some negotiating with the landlord if you've been good tenants. I'd start seriously looking at properties and if you find the right one, go for it.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:41 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
It looks like we are going to be seeing 4%, possibly better in the near future, with talks of going even lower. Yikes.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:49 AM

764 posts, read 1,598,174 times
Quote:
See my post #18.

For most of the country, it's a buyer's market so prices still have a way to go to get the market into equilibrium.

Not sure if a % point rise/fall in interest rates is really 'significant'

Old 08-10-2011, 11:35 AM

675 posts, read 1,816,896 times
Should we wait for a while (6 months or a year later) until the price goes down near to the bottom? At that time, even the rate can be higher, but the price is lower.
How do we know when is the best time to buy a house for living, not for investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate