Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:38 PM

191 posts, read 945,885 times

Advertisements

Hi all! How many homes did you look at before you found "the one" or put an offer in on a house you had seen previously? Also, when did you buy? Was it a buyer's/seller's market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 12:41 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,150,927 times
I looked at about...6-7 condos/townhouses before I settled on the one I purchased. Mind you, this is a starter home, so I wouldn't classify it as the one, but I liked it a helluva lot better than the others one I had seen. Had everything I was looking for in terms of the area, amenities, etc. I'd say it's a buyer's market. They had dropped the price of the condo I purchased by about $22K.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:36 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
May i refine the question, or add another dimension to it?

When you were looking for a home, did you have a specific list of things which you wanted in your new home, and did you share this up front with the realtor? When you went out to look at homes, were the homes selected to visit representative of your criteria...such that, for instance, if you wanted a two car garage, did the realtor take you to any homes with a one car garage because 'this place is just SO cute'?

Six or seven homes seems about right...what with all of the descriptive material and pictures which abound with each listing.

But i get a sense that people are looking at more...like a LOT more, and quite frankly, i don't get it. Are agents bored? Are buyers being fickle? Is viewing homes just turning into an interesting way to spend a day?

Would love to hear your experience and opinions.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:40 PM

812 posts, read 1,906,980 times
approx 10-15 houses I would say this current home. 5 yrs ago. We would have more choices now and they would cost less money for the same home or I could pay the same and get a bigger house!

I probably looked at 100's online!

Our 1st home 10 yrs ago I looked 2 diff times about 2 months apart and probably saw 15-20 but we considered a wider geographic area so that opened up the avail. properties to consider.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:57 PM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times
I looked at way too many, probably 100 before I picked one. It isn't the one, it's just a place to be for now till I fine the one.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:20 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
Like another poster stated, do you have a list of "must haves", things you could live without and narrow down the location?

I made my list and looked at least 20 and almost gave up until our real estate man found a listing in his office that they just had signed.. the seller sold their house within 6 hours of signing the contract with the realtor... fell in love with it. almost 21 and 1/2 years later still love it. I have a pond behind my house and I'm right in the city of Madison.

Must try to sell it though because I am planning a relocation... any one looking for a well maintained home with a great garden and a pond with sand hill crane, deer and many different kind of birds?? LOL ...

Old 08-10-2011, 02:46 PM

324 posts, read 1,089,454 times
We're those crazy people who looked at about 70 houses in person over the course of 5 months or so before finding "the one". Hard to say whether it's a buyers or sellers market here. On the one hand, there are plenty of listings that have been on the market for a long, long time. On the other hand, anything "good" gets snapped up within a week. We made offers on three houses. We were outbid on the first two.

When we first started looking, we went to see basically everything in our price range that met most of the basic criteria we were looking for. As we learned about the market, we started visiting fewer and fewer homes. We learned how to use all the tools at our disposal to eliminate listings without having to see them (online photos, floorplans, and google street view were the most important).

We are hoping that this is our home for at least 15 years, so we were admittedly very, very picky. But when we found what we wanted, we weren't wishy-washy at all.

One reason for the large number of homes we visited might be due to the type of housing stock we have in the Boston area. Many of the homes are very old. Many haven't been updated. Many have been partially updated. Lots and lots of places are "quirky". Some of this is apparent from the floorplans and photos, and some isn't.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I looked at 5-6 both this time and the last time. I told my realtors what I was looking for and they did a good job of pre-selecting for me. I bought this one in 2001 and the previous one in 1996.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:46 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,150,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
May i refine the question, or add another dimension to it?

When you were looking for a home, did you have a specific list of things which you wanted in your new home, and did you share this up front with the realtor? When you went out to look at homes, were the homes selected to visit representative of your criteria...such that, for instance, if you wanted a two car garage, did the realtor take you to any homes with a one car garage because 'this place is just SO cute'?

Six or seven homes seems about right...what with all of the descriptive material and pictures which abound with each listing.

But i get a sense that people are looking at more...like a LOT more, and quite frankly, i don't get it. Are agents bored? Are buyers being fickle? Is viewing homes just turning into an interesting way to spend a day?

Would love to hear your experience and opinions.
I know in my situation, public transportation and being near it was a must for me since I didn't have a car, as was affordability. DC is very expensive so its not like I had a lot of options to begin with, with my certain criteria, the options dwindled even further. So yeah, my realtor sent me stuff that catered to my needs. I saw about 7 properties/units, and he sent me a few dozen via e-mail. The entire process took about a month and a half or so, almost 2 months.

The condo I have is a spacious studio, but its 2 minutes away from the train, supermarket, pharmacy, cleaners and a couple of restaurants, and my commute may actually be shorter than it is now. So yeah, I got what I was looking for, but by no means is this "the one." This is something I want to live in for 5-7 years and see what my options are then.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:04 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
My current average over the past 18 months is 6.4 homes (yes, I keep track) before someone buys, and that's with working mostly relocation buyers who don't know the areas well, but education and figuring out what they need and want is key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate