Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 04:20 PM

151 posts, read 713,807 times

Advertisements

Is there very little NOT on MLS in most states or am I missing allot in my real estate search using only online MLS sites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 05:25 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicard View Post
Is there very little NOT on MLS in most states or am I missing allot in my real estate search using only online MLS sites?
MLS is a Realtor owned site.
You are looking at sites that take a feed or scrape MLS data, and depending on their ability show much of what is available.

About 70-75% of homes sell through Realtors, via MLS listings. Some of them you never see, because they hit the MLS already sold.
The 25 to 30% balance includes family deals, owner-sold homes and other transactions where a Realtor is not used, or where the property is sold without ever listing.

You need to do what I do when a client wants a home I don't see on the MLS.
Drive neighborhoods looking for "For Sale By Owner" signs.
Look at foreclosure auctions.
Read the paper and look at websites for sellers to post their homes, like backpage, kijiji, Craigslist, and several others.

You may be missing some homes. But you won't get to see them all. No one does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate