Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 05:22 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times

Advertisements

Its different in different places. My broker in the resort area of Acadia National Park in Maine looks at what's been happening in other places with wonder since prices there had a short sympathy 5% drop but are now back to what they were. They are still having a boom. If you have some industry moving into your area this will not be a problem. If the banks were very very conservative then you may have zero short sales and auctions to deal with. Where I'm living now we have a huge tract of land that is owned by Disney. We know what would happen to housing prices and school taxes if Disney decided to put in a Theme Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 12:21 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Thanks Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus!!
you're welcome, and good luck.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:31 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
The market in my area is almost dead. Without any incentives from the feds, or any chance that mortgage rates are going to start rising, there seems to be no incentive to buy.

We are in a really bad buyers market.

IMO, if you want to sell, its only and specifically only, about price. The property must be a steal compared to everything else. Not just well priced, not just a really good buy, but a total steal.

In the early depths of the recession, I know of a house on Mount Desert island (home of Acadia National Park in Maine) that was selling for $329K--- a huge house, almost brand new on 3 acres. It was a great price. The owners had moved to Portland and needed to get rid of it. But..... in a moment of possible insanity, they reudced the price to $250K. The lines formed at the brokerage, and it became first come first served. It went on the market at the new price on Monday, and was sold by Wednesday. it was probably sold on Monday afternoon, but they couldn't put the paperwork together until Wednesday.

In an extreme buyers market.... its really ONLY about the price, isn't it.
There are more houses than qualified buyers so, if by incentive you mean a Federal Program that will magically make an unqualified buyer into a qualified buyer, why bother they will never pay off the loan and we will be back where we started

Old 09-12-2011, 07:22 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
There are more houses than qualified buyers so, if by incentive you mean a Federal Program that will magically make an unqualified buyer into a qualified buyer, why bother they will never pay off the loan and we will be back where we started
That's neither what I said, nor what I meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate