Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:43 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,317 times

Advertisements

The market in my area is almost dead. Without any incentives from the feds, or any chance that mortgage rates are going to start rising, there seems to be no incentive to buy.

We are in a really bad buyers market.

IMO, if you want to sell, its only and specifically only, about price. The property must be a steal compared to everything else. Not just well priced, not just a really good buy, but a total steal.

In the early depths of the recession, I know of a house on Mount Desert island (home of Acadia National Park in Maine) that was selling for $329K--- a huge house, almost brand new on 3 acres. It was a great price. The owners had moved to Portland and needed to get rid of it. But..... in a moment of possible insanity, they reudced the price to $250K. The lines formed at the brokerage, and it became first come first served. It went on the market at the new price on Monday, and was sold by Wednesday. it was probably sold on Monday afternoon, but they couldn't put the paperwork together until Wednesday.

In an extreme buyers market.... its really ONLY about the price, isn't it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 10:50 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
IMO, if you want to sell, its only and specifically only, about price. The property must be a steal compared to everything else.
Er... maybe when compared to the highs of the balloon period.

Go back to 1998 price levels...
then adjust for condition and immediate market factors.
(like an active pool of qualified buyers)

Some markets are above 1998 levels; some pockets of some markets well above.
Most are floating at around the year 2000 point.

see post #273 on page 28 of the Sinking real estate market for 15 years? thread for a graphic explanation of this
---

btw (to anyone):
how would you quote and capture images posted there?

Old 09-01-2011, 11:22 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
When you look at incomes to home prices my area is pretty close to 3.0. That means that homes are starting to be inline with incomes. It isn't about the price as it is about affordability. Consumers that are left to buy aren't going to push themselves to financial ruin.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:49 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
No, condition and location are important factors also. To a lesser degree marketing and terms matter as well.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:59 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
It is about VALUE.
Value includes condition, location, AND price.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:16 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
see post #273 on page 28 of the Sinking real estate market for 15 years? thread for a graphic explanation of this
---

btw (to anyone):
how would you quote and capture images posted there?
you need a URL to the JPG.

to get this you right-click on the photo. Depending on your browser, it'll give you different options... view the source code, inspect the element, etc.. you may need to understand how to read basic HTML.

Copy that URL into a new post, like so:

Old 09-01-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
The market in my area is almost dead. Without any incentives from the feds, or any chance that mortgage rates are going to start rising, there seems to be no incentive to buy.

We are in a really bad buyers market.

IMO, if you want to sell, its only and specifically only, about price. The property must be a steal compared to everything else. Not just well priced, not just a really good buy, but a total steal.

In the early depths of the recession, I know of a house on Mount Desert island (home of Acadia National Park in Maine) that was selling for $329K--- a huge house, almost brand new on 3 acres. It was a great price. The owners had moved to Portland and needed to get rid of it. But..... in a moment of possible insanity, they reudced the price to $250K. The lines formed at the brokerage, and it became first come first served. It went on the market at the new price on Monday, and was sold by Wednesday. it was probably sold on Monday afternoon, but they couldn't put the paperwork together until Wednesday.

In an extreme buyers market.... its really ONLY about the price, isn't it.
Using "about" as a verb, in this context, is a non sequitur.

It's like asking, "What is the sky all about?" What exactly are you asking?

Price matters. Price has always mattered. So has condition, and location.

What has changed is that the volume of money being created by new mortgages has shrunk, due to unemployment, higher external costs like gasoline, and stagnant wages which are eroding household balance sheets, disposable incomes, savings, and downpayments. The horrible condition of American household balance sheets means Americans cannot borrow as much, and when combined with changes in bank lending, means that the volume of money created in the mortgage markets is shrinking drastically. Mortgage markets are what drive these price changes.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:58 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It is about VALUE.
Value includes condition, location, AND price.
^^ this

I think the spirit of the OP is incorrect in that "price" alone assumes condition and location don't matter - when we all know they do. Arguably more then price.

There are homes I wouldn't buy no matter what the price is because the schools are zoned a certain way, the 24hr gas station is next door, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:04 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
> Using "about" as a verb,

Umm, no. The verbs in this sentence are is (part of it's, which is missing its apostrophe) and is again (in isn't, which isn't).

Old 09-01-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
^^ this

I think the spirit of the OP is incorrect in that "price" alone assumes condition and location don't matter - when we all know they do. Arguably more then price.

There are homes I wouldn't buy no matter what the price is because the schools are zoned a certain way, the 24hr gas station is next door, etc, etc, etc, etc.
If someone wanted to sell me a house in my area, in a bad school district next to a gas station for $1, I'd buy it.

However, if someone wanted to GIVE me a house for free in a city like Detroit where the property tax liabilities were so high that "free ownership" of the house was actually a liability, I'd say no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> Using "about" as a verb,

Umm, no. The verbs in this sentence are is (part of it's, which is missing its apostrophe) and is again (in isn't, which isn't).

actually you're right... but it is still a nonsense statement, asking if "It" is "about price".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate