Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 09:35 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,465,183 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear you lost out on the house and it's odd that in this market that homeowners would unreasonable. I guess they are not too motivated and it wasn't meant to be. You can bet you will find something better. Best of luck in finding your dream home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanat30 View Post
Whelp..it's not an issue anymore. Seller is being unreasonable about some things so we are moving on. However I will say there was a lesson learned. I will NOT be asking any questions that I don't really want the answers to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 09:45 AM

675 posts, read 1,816,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Exactly my thoughts, especially while reading the "creepy people must have bought it" - post...

We bought this 100 year old house because we loved it, we saw the potential, and it was within our price range. Did someone die in it? Probably. Definitely it was going into foreclosure because of a very rough divorce. The owner insisted on burning sage, and propping little 'protections' in the windows to keep bad spirits out; she insisted it was haunted by bad spirits. I just smiled and said, "un hunh".

She was miserably unhappy after her husband packed up and left her, and there were a lot of bad vibes - mostly from her agonizing depression and resulting fears. Oddly (or maybe not so oddly!), once she left, the house seemed to brighten considerably! She kept coming back to 'visit' and to see what we were doing (mostly to make comments like "I would never have done that") or to express surprise that we were refurbishing it so much more differently than she would have or did. What finally made her stop coming over was the neighbors telling her how beautiful the house was "now". She finally got the hint and stopped dropping by. The house is "happy", because we are happy, and we love it and take care of it.

DH and I have both seen ghosts in our lifetime, and we know that they exist, even though we do not fear them. But - there are none here. The house is - happy.
You're optimistic, and I like it

Old 10-16-2011, 12:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
The house we live in now is the only one we ever had where we know no one has died, and that's because we are the second owners, the first bought it new and we met the people and talked to them before buying. Someone did die in the house before that, we found out from the next door neighbors (his mother lived and died there) but no issues with that. Generally I'd avoid a house where a person was taken prematurely in a violent manner. We looked at one house where there was a sooty stain around the fireplace, and some research with a friend in the Police department found that a woman had killed her husband there and tried to destroy the evidence by burning him. That was enough for me to keep looking. I don't know if that's something that has to be disclosed or not, it was in Oakland, CA.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:53 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Deaths occur and it wouldn't keep from living anywhere. I'd probably not want to be where a gruesome murder took place only because of how everyone else would react and my fear that the criminals might have an unnatural draw to the place for whatever reason. I think I'd be more wigged out if I found out someone used to torture their kids or something. I'd always wonder what horrible things happened where...

Old 10-16-2011, 01:43 PM

157 posts, read 574,594 times
I lived in an apartment where not just one but two people died over the years and there were some strange goings on, I can tell you.

Oh, initially all I had to put up with was annoyances such as things flying off the kitchen counters, the toilet up and gurgling for no reason. I attributed these occurrences as being brought on by a poltergeist, a pesty spirit.

When I felt a forcible shove one Wednesday morning (and I was dead sober) as I stood to take out some garbage, I once again spoke to the intruder. "You have no business here anymore. Go to the light. It's over and done with for you...Go to the light!"

Fat lot of good that did me.

I felt a shove and I was quite alone...I was 'pushed' down a spiral staircase that led from our top apartment to the street below. Montreal is full of duplexes that feature those spiral iron staircases.

What happened to me is that I fell down every step and tore my right foot open on the dirty iron work on the way down. I crashed on the sidewalk, shaking due to shock and bleeding profusely. My husband heard all the clunking noises as I fell, and came and scooped me up.

That very morning, I had to go to a local hospital to have my foot stitched up -- thirteen stitches...how fitting is that? I still have the scar. Yet another scar to add to my collection. Oh, at least my tetanus shot is up to date -- I had to have one of those due to the dirty iron.

The place was creepy. There was a set of very narrow wooden steps to the rear of the two shoebox apartments above the landlady's...the steps led to the outdoors (what a relief!) but continued down into the dungeon of a basement that the old woman had. You ought to have seen that!

I went traipsing down those winding stairs once and there was a brick placed right at the bottom of the staircase, eh? I am Canadian, I am allowed to "eh", eh.

An acute angle of the brick cut through my shoe, which was a fabric sort of a Chinese slipper, and cut my foot, too...but this didn't require surgery.

At the top of those stairs were nests. Mudhornet's nests. Now mudhornets are harmless, searching only for watery mud, but they are unsightly and to those who don't know they are harmless, they are frightening.

Factor in silverfish, earwigs and large house spiders, later roaches (That's when Lord I and bolted -- cockroaches!)

The former landlady was crazy, this old Belgian nutbar. She used to trap birds and squirrels, skunks, raccoons, everything she could in a nasty wire trap in order to keep the 'vermin' out of her precious garden.

She used to keep rabbits in a shed, and she'd slaughter them for food. A neighbour ratted her out, and she never forgave him.

Lord Augusta and I never forgave her, either, for trapping innocent birds and squirrels and drowning them. Ever. In fact, when we confronted the old loon about the birds, she stopped killing them. Well, how far we've come, eh?

The old ***** used to give us cukes and tomatoes and other garden stuff.

One afternoon, Lord Augusta and I were sitting in the swing in her yard, and the old ***** approached with a white plastic bag, you know the ones that are often doled out while shopping?

We thought, judging by the colour through the plastic, that the old ***** was going to give us a cucumber from her garden.

MIS-TAKE! It was a dead squirrel.

"What a nice surprise! You shouldn't have!"

She really shouldn't have.

Do you know that I loathed that apartment and used to curse what I perceived to be as the poltergeist (probably the late landlady's husband) all the time?

Once we had an infestation of mice, and I went downstairs to complain to the old bat.

She shrugged! In French, she asked me, "What's the problem?"

I could not believe it. "The problem is that sometimes mice chew wires which can be a fire hazard, especially in dumps like this!" I shrieked.

She shrugged back and shut the door in my face.

When she lay in hospital dying, she apparantly fought until the bitter end to stay alive. Afraid to meet your maker, you foolish sadistic old thing? You killed your own son's cat (run over by a bus, my arse) and how many other animals? Nastiness! Our Creator is going to take a BIG chunk out of you...and guess where you're going?

Right back to this mudhole in the sky known as earth...maybe you'll learn next time around.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:48 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyaugusta View Post
I lived in an apartment where not just one but two people died over the years and there were some strange goings on, I can tell you.

Oh, initially all I had to put up with was annoyances such as things flying off the kitchen counters, the toilet up and gurgling for no reason. I attributed these occurrences as being brought on by a poltergeist, a pesty spirit.

When I felt a forcible shove one Wednesday morning (and I was dead sober) as I stood to take out some garbage, I once again spoke to the intruder. "You have no business here anymore. Go to the light. It's over and done with for you...Go to the light!"

Fat lot of good that did me.

I felt a shove and I was quite alone...I was 'pushed' down a spiral staircase that led from our top apartment to the street below. Montreal is full of duplexes that feature those spiral iron staircases.

What happened to me is that I fell down every step and tore my right foot open on the dirty iron work on the way down. I crashed on the sidewalk, shaking due to shock and bleeding profusely. My husband heard all the clunking noises as I fell, and came and scooped me up.

That very morning, I had to go to a local hospital to have my foot stitched up -- thirteen stitches...how fitting is that? I still have the scar. Yet another scar to add to my collection. Oh, at least my tetanus shot is up to date -- I had to have one of those due to the dirty iron.

The place was creepy. There was a set of very narrow wooden steps to the rear of the two shoebox apartments above the landlady's...the steps led to the outdoors (what a relief!) but continued down into the dungeon of a basement that the old woman had. You ought to have seen that!

I went traipsing down those winding stairs once and there was a brick placed right at the bottom of the staircase, eh? I am Canadian, I am allowed to "eh", eh.

An acute angle of the brick cut through my shoe, which was a fabric sort of a Chinese slipper, and cut my foot, too...but this didn't require surgery.

At the top of those stairs were nests. Mudhornet's nests. Now mudhornets are harmless, searching only for watery mud, but they are unsightly and to those who don't know they are harmless, they are frightening.

Factor in silverfish, earwigs and large house spiders, later roaches (That's when Lord I and bolted -- cockroaches!)

The former landlady was crazy, this old Belgian nutbar. She used to trap birds and squirrels, skunks, raccoons, everything she could in a nasty wire trap in order to keep the 'vermin' out of her precious garden.

She used to keep rabbits in a shed, and she'd slaughter them for food. A neighbour ratted her out, and she never forgave him.

Lord Augusta and I never forgave her, either, for trapping innocent birds and squirrels and drowning them. Ever. In fact, when we confronted the old loon about the birds, she stopped killing them. Well, how far we've come, eh?

The old ***** used to give us cukes and tomatoes and other garden stuff.

One afternoon, Lord Augusta and I were sitting in the swing in her yard, and the old ***** approached with a white plastic bag, you know the ones that are often doled out while shopping?

We thought, judging by the colour through the plastic, that the old ***** was going to give us a cucumber from her garden.

MIS-TAKE! It was a dead squirrel.

"What a nice surprise! You shouldn't have!"

She really shouldn't have.

Do you know that I loathed that apartment and used to curse what I perceived to be as the poltergeist (probably the late landlady's husband) all the time?

Once we had an infestation of mice, and I went downstairs to complain to the old bat.

She shrugged! In French, she asked me, "What's the problem?"

I could not believe it. "The problem is that sometimes mice chew wires which can be a fire hazard, especially in dumps like this!" I shrieked.

She shrugged back and shut the door in my face.

When she lay in hospital dying, she apparantly fought until the bitter end to stay alive. Afraid to meet your maker, you foolish sadistic old thing? You killed your own son's cat (run over by a bus, my arse) and how many other animals? Nastiness! Our Creator is going to take a BIG chunk out of you...and guess where you're going?

Right back to this mudhole in the sky known as earth...maybe you'll learn next time around.

O - kaaaayyyyy

Old 10-17-2011, 06:24 AM

630 posts, read 1,717,675 times
As luck would have it..we seem to hone in on this kind of thing. We found a house built in 1999 on acreage. OMG..it is the most beautiful property. The house is ok..but we really wanted the acreage for our kiddos to roam. So we get the disclosures and see it is an estate for 2 people. I found that odd since that would mean they died at the same time or close to each other. I'm thinking car wreak. Anyway..we make an offer. Then a couple of days ago I google the names and..the husband died of a heart attack..AT HOME. Wife died a few days later from other health issues. Having to confront the issue all over again..I will say that I'm ok with this. It was a natural (even if unexpected) death. The person dealing with the estate is handling the deal with emotions so I don't think we will end up with the property but thought I would give an update.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:28 AM

35 posts, read 275,073 times
If you're buying an older house chances are good that someone has died in it over the years.

I looked at a house where the occupant had died of old age.
The place gave me the creeps. There was just a gloomy atmosphere about it that was uncomfortable & foreboding. I would not have bought it just based on the immediate feeling I got when I walked inside even if I hadn't already been aware of a death on the property.

The house I decided to buy had the opposite affect on me.
It felt like home as soon as I walked in the door, warm, inviting, welcoming. I think 1st impressions are very important. Either it feels like home or it doesn't.

If you walk into a home & immediately start taking note of all the changes you will need to make it comfortable then I think that's a bad sign.
Unless renovation is your idea of fun, then I'd say go for it!

Old 11-15-2011, 10:11 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,591 times
I just heard that the beautiful Coronado Island- San Diego historical mansion where the millionaire's son and girl friend (Schenkel?) both died mysteriously is now for sale.

I wonder who will buy such a home so shortly after these bizarre tragedies. It would be my dream home except for the deaths, which involve both the grand staircase and the Master Bedroom/balcony/yard- alll prominent areas of the home. No way!!

Old 11-16-2011, 02:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I agree with the OP - now you're creepier than the house could be!

Given that the OP felt nothing from the house except that they loved it until told the circumstances of the death, and given the information that was given to her about the man who died, I'm pretty sure that IF what you say regarding Feng Shui (which I've not run across in my studies of it, but they haven't been exhaustively extensive) is true, that the life lived in the house so happily would override the accidental death.

Most of Feng Shui, after all, when you look at it clearly, is based on common sense. Don't have your desk set up so that your back is to the door lest you be startled or someone be able to read over your shoulder something you don't want them to. Don't build a house opposite a street (T-intersection) - well, aside from the lights shining in the house every time a car comes down that road, it's more likely to have a car run into it than houses built other places. And so on. And there are "fixes" for just about everything.

So in this case, as I said, check the stairs to make sure there's nothing about them that could cause a fall, and if there is, repair it!

Feng Shui is not about selfish fears, and not just about "placement" of things. It's about the attitude you bring to a place. Filling a formerly sad house with love and vibrancy is one of the most positive, spiritual things one can do. Also, the wife of the man who died in the house may have been a highly evolved loving lady, her personal tragedy notwithstanding. What might that say about one's unfounded fears?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate