Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 07:52 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,993 times

Advertisements

My finacee' contacted a local realtor about a short sale. Well after some discussion we decided to let her find us a home.

She was pushing us to get preapproved. We did what she asked and then informs us she's going on vacation for a week and there were a few houses we wanted to look at. She mentioned she would have her co-worker show us one home while she was out as a favor. She later admits to us this friend was not even a real estate agent, he was going to do her a favor. The 2 houses we wanted to look out went under contract while she was gone.

When we met her she seemed very young, I'd say maybe 24 or 25. At first she was only showing us her listings, until we started questioning other listings on line. She's been awesome getting back to us, sometimes responds back at 3am. (My fiancee' is up with a baby at night so she searches listings). Very nice person though.

We explained to her what we wanted, but she still continues to email us homes we're not interested in. I often ask her questions in which she has to get back to me about, and later I found out her bf is also a Real Estate Agent.

I think she has her bf coaching her, just my opinion as she seems very new at this.

We've bid on 2 short sales and each time our offer has not been accepted. I almost feel like her advice on the offer price has been way off. She called this morning to tell us we didn't get the house, I guess it just wasn't mean to be she tells us. That's probably the worst thing you can tell someone when they don't get what they want.

There really isn't much in my area at the price we're looking for and when it becomes available we have to jump on it.

I'm almost wondering if we should look elsewhere for an agent, or stick with her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 08:03 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,444,869 times
If her bf is another agent, why would she risk her license by having an unlicensed person show you houses?

Old 10-22-2011, 08:24 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
If her bf is another agent, why would she risk her license by having an unlicensed person show you houses?
Good question, which is another reason for me to think she is new, unexperienced, and hungry for a sale. It's also a coincidence that she's been pushing her bf's listings really hard so that they can both make the commission.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:59 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,315,331 times
Real estate compendence... WOW, what an enigma. Pandora's box, too. How do you get compendence without experience, how do you get experience without compedence?

1st, simply ask her, even now, about her training. Ask her how many deals of any kind she has done, remember the # 1 producer in the world had only one sale sometime. Then ask her what formal training she's had on selling short sales. Someone with a CDPE is a great start.

2nd, she has a broker. When she left town for a vacation (we all deserve and need to have an occasional break), at least her broker should have either helped her personally or helped her find a substitute.

3rd, it's your purchase, it will be your home, and it must be a happy place. Start with a good deal. Also remember that a bank will choose to foreclose rather than authorize a short sale around 60-65% of what they are owed.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:02 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Along with all that's been mentioned, ask her to explain the contract-every part of it. If she can, without fumbling, in a way that you understand, you are probably OK. Regarding your offers, are you coming in consistently too low or is it your terms? The listing agent can't (or shouldn't) tell your agent the specifics but often will give some info you can use the next time. She may be trying to show you that she can get you a lower price when she should be telling you, for example, that sometimes in your area homes go for more than list due to multiple offers...or whatever the case may be.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:36 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
In Oregon, our license numbers start with the year we got our license. Get on your state license site. I am sure they list the date of first license on there, I'd think they would anyway. That way you will know if you are dealing with a rookie.

I am dubious of any agent that only shows you their listings at first. That isn't a buyer agent, that is a listing agent pretending to be buyer agent. That tactic alone would turn me off and I'd be seeking another agent. A buyer agent represents YOUR best interests. Showing you only their listings or their brokerage listings for starters is an indication that the aren't clear on the concept of buyer agent.

I'd move on.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:49 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
We explained to her what we wanted, but she still continues to email us homes we're not interested in.
Maybe you were not clear in telling her what you want, or maybe she is just a poor agent.

Quote:
We've bid on 2 short sales and each time our offer has not been accepted. I almost feel like her advice on the offer price has been way off.
Even the best agents get denied short sales. Very few short sales are ever accepted. The bank actually makes more money if they wait it out and foreclose.

Quote:
I'm almost wondering if we should look elsewhere for an agent, or stick with her?
Personally, I wouldn't want to work with an agent that young. I'd rather work with an experienced agent who has seen everything.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:55 PM

121 posts, read 412,365 times
If you don't feel she's right, move on. There are tons of experienced, competent agents out there willing to help. It was finally with my 3rd agent that I found the place that I wanted.

I think a lot of it is about timing. I don't consider this agent much more competent than the others, but was in the right place at the right time. They were all good about getting back to me. After meeting her the first time to look at one house, she sent me some listings of some places I hadn't even thought of to look into and found the place that second time out with her. I think she had a good sense of what I wanted (experience!) and was able to quickly match that up with what was on the market (more experience!) and - as far as timing, there happened to be something on the market that fit (luck!).

She is alright - is working for herself like all agents/brokers etc. regardless of what they say. But I also see how working for you is how they work for themselves so in the end it works out. But I know I need to watch out for myself. But she helped me find the place, gets stuff done and gets back to me quickly so that's about the most you can hope for.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:20 PM

468 posts, read 1,379,723 times
Have you signed an agreement for her to be your agent? That will determine your next step.

If you have, then discuss your situation with her and her broker - if you're that unhappy with her, maybe another agent in the office would be better suited.

If you haven't, I'd interview a couple of agents and do some pre-shopping shopping!

Old 10-25-2011, 05:44 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Quote:
My finacee' contacted a local realtor about a short sale. Well after some discussion we decided to let her find us a home.

She was pushing us to get preapproved. We did what she asked and then informs us she's going on vacation for a week and there were a few houses we wanted to look at. She mentioned she would have her co-worker show us one home while she was out as a favor. She later admits to us this friend was not even a real estate agent, he was going to do her a favor. The 2 houses we wanted to look out went under contract while she was gone.

When we met her she seemed very young, I'd say maybe 24 or 25. At first she was only showing us her listings, until we started questioning other listings on line. She's been awesome getting back to us, sometimes responds back at 3am. (My fiancee' is up with a baby at night so she searches listings). Very nice person though.

We explained to her what we wanted, but she still continues to email us homes we're not interested in. I often ask her questions in which she has to get back to me about, and later I found out her bf is also a Real Estate Agent.

I think she has her bf coaching her, just my opinion as she seems very new at this.

We've bid on 2 short sales and each time our offer has not been accepted. I almost feel like her advice on the offer price has been way off. She called this morning to tell us we didn't get the house, I guess it just wasn't mean to be she tells us. That's probably the worst thing you can tell someone when they don't get what they want.

There really isn't much in my area at the price we're looking for and when it becomes available we have to jump on it.

If one is not comfortable with a "hired gun (real estate agent)" then fire their ass as soon as possible. You will always doubt them even if they "deliver".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate