Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 05:58 PM

107 posts, read 451,918 times

Advertisements

We have an offer coming in for way less then we wanted. $135k less than anticipated, but the market here is killing us. Foreclosures are coming around like crazy.
My husband has a job in another state starting in February so we do have some time. We are still walking away with a profit. So if we wait we take a chance of maybe getting more, maybe less. We have a qualified buyer, solid, will rent back to us but a very good negotiater.
Do we just get over the loss of profit in todays market and run with it or wait for another buyer?
We live in a very desirable, unique area that will for sure bounce back,,,but when??
How much loss is worth it for the sanity of knowing we can move on with our new life?
Just curious on feelings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 06:09 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,845,180 times
ouch... what does your agent say? that is hard to swallow, but I don't know the price of your home, your market, the comps... be hard to give any advice on something like this.

But, if the market is really bad there, and you can live with the profit you do get, it will be behind you. You won't have to worry about it anymore. and you can focus on the next stage of your life.

Shelly

Old 09-05-2007, 06:23 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,913,545 times
Boy that sure sounds like a big price hit, but I know some areas are seeing those kind of offers. In a better market, I normally advise my sellers to counter offer, because buyers usually expect some type of counter. If you accept the first offer, the buyers will be wondering if they could have gotten it for less...In this situation I would talk to your agent and see what he/she advises is best for your particular area. Maybe you could counter back at a higher price and also offer some other type of incentive - paying their loan costs, offering lawn service or pool service for a period - something that shows you really want to work with the buyers.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:31 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Help me understand....we have an offer that is 135K below list? Well if it is at 1.35 million that would be OK. I might take that.

At any lesser price I can't imagine how one would even think of accepting.

Unless your original list is nutty...

If you are even thinking about accepting that offer you should counter maybe 30 or 40K from list and see what happens.

If you lose it reset your price to something rational...like down 50K and see what the market brings you. If nothing in a month come down another 25K.

Hell you gonna part with that kind of money at least spend it creatively.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:40 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
It is hard to comment on whether you should take a $135k drop in your home price. How well is your home really priced? How long has it been on the market? Have you had any lookers? How many homes in your price range have sold recently? Is $135k more than 10% of the correct value of your home? how anxious are you to sell? How much is peace of mind worht to you? School is back in session and we are coming into the holiday season in a couple of months. Counter offer and see what happens. They could just be trolling for a real good deal and think they have you. good luck and let us know what happens. Jay

Old 09-05-2007, 06:47 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,325,225 times
msheiny - Congratulations on getting an offer!!! Your agent is really in the best position to negotiate this contract for you. We know that the offer is $135k below your asking price. The BIG question, though, is how far below Sold Comps is it? If it's close to what comparable homes have been selling for then you may not want to counter too high. On the other hand, if the offer is well below the comps, then the buyer is probably expecting to have to come up on his offer quite a bit. A lot depends, too, on the choices the buyer has in his price range.

Hope you get it sold at a price you can live with!

Old 09-05-2007, 07:02 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,028,587 times
Listen to Gretchen.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:17 PM

Default More info...

Ok, to clarify we will still be walking with a profit of over $200k....
The comps are killing us because we are being forced to price with the foreclosures.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:40 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,305,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msheiny View Post
We have an offer coming in for way less then we wanted. $135k less than anticipated
On what basis were you expecting the anticipated price? When did you price the house?

Can you confirm that the most recent "solds" were foreclosures--and are these the comps you are using? Or are the foreclosures the active listings that are your competition?

Just curious! These are great questions, but the more info you provide, the better!

Old 09-05-2007, 10:18 PM

Default info....

we listed for what i feel now was too much. So we lowered to a more market value. The last house in our area that sold in our square footage was still much lower than what we may be taking. It was a foreclosure. some other homes our size are listed, not sold but are also foreclosures. One other that is a resale the couple is desperate and may settle so low it would hurt us even more in the long run.
Its just such a weird market now.
but, we still walk away with a profit. We also have only been on the market a little over a month, so we did get an offer in somewhat of a resonable time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate