Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:30 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,143,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
I have never flipped a house, nor do I have any particular desire to do so, but I read Kirsten Kemp's (from Properly Ladder) book for fun. It was short and decent - you'll need other resources if you plan to be onsite / hands-on for the project. And obviously a lot of flipping is dealing with people (soft skills) which you can't always learn out of a book.

Really the things you need to know when considering purchasing a flip are:
- what it could sell for if you fixed it up (dependent upon location and comps)
- what it would cost to fix it up to that level (dependent upon your skill with dealing with contractors)
- what your targeted profit margin is (dependent on your overall financial picture [other job, free cash, credit, etc.] and time frame/flexibility)

And those determine what price you should pick up a property for (if at all).
Thanks Captain Obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
I am looking for a recommendation on a book, or books, that I can read that outline how to successfully purchase, renovate, and sell a house for profit.

Background:
-Looking for houses in Texas, specifically the Houston area.
-Architect that is currently finishing up an MBA program. I loaded up the back end of my program on real estate development but I am now looking for specific guidelines for flipping houses.

Thanks

Here's what I have learned over the years of doing homes:

*Know your market better than your real estate agent, lender, appraiser etc.

*Form a very good relationship with a set of contractors that will stick with you and visit homes with you. Buy their kid a birthday present so they remember you.

*Call up local brokerages and tell them you want a young, new agent, preferably male, to help you in your search. This will be the only agent that will return your calls to look at dumpy homes when you call them at 8am on a Saturday and want to see them at 10.

*Befriend a couple lenders. Explain to them exactly what it is you're planning on doing so they can help. Don't think you're doing them any favors by not being upfront with them.

*Don't work on a home before you close.

*Outline all your expenses on a spread sheet. This will help you budget your next project.

*Budget the property as though everything is getting replaced, even if it is a relative small job. HVAC units die even though they look healthy.

*Before you submit an offer, knock on a couple neighbor doors and ask them about the neighborhood and the history of the home. In my experience, most are overwhelmingly ready to talk about this 'eye sore' and how they want it fixed up. This is also when you learn if the neighbors are crazy or not.

*Don't expect sympathy when you speculate on a neighborhood and things don't work out as planned.

*When you're new, don't rely on a gut feeling. Do some financial modelling and see if they project even makes sense.

*Know what you're going to do with the home when finished. Flipping, short term hold, short term hold with leasing, long term hold with leasing, etc. You need a game plan before you start as it affects the house you buy and what you pay.

*Don't get caught up buying every expensive item that you would put in your ideal house. There is no quicker way to crush margins than by spending $10/ft on tile when $1/ ft will be fine or $4000 in countertops when laminate is fine. You're trying to sell this property and come out with some cash in your pocket. I would rather sell a simple home to a buyer excited to see a dishwasher than a very expensive and ornate home that has a tiny pool of buyers.

*Don't use that same rookie agent to sell it. It will take much longer to sell than with a pro.

*Have a plan b, c, d and e if things go awry. Literally sit down before you go under contract and outline every contingency you can think of and what you'll do in that situation. What happens if an appliance breaks, if I get a stop work notice, if I hold the property for longer than I expected etc etc.

*Unless you are a highly experience construction manager or foreman, don't oversee your own project. And even if you are, don't oversee your own project unless you have several months off. This is also where I recomend hiring contractors to do the work. I've yet to meet one "developer" that hasn't overestimated their construction expertise, myself included, which causes major delays and setbacks.

There's more, but part of the fun is learning it on your own.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,335,696 times
What davecj said.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:43 AM

990 posts, read 1,065,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Here's what I have learned over the years of doing homes:

*Know your market better than your real estate agent, lender, appraiser etc.

*Form a very good relationship with a set of contractors that will stick with you and visit homes with you. Buy their kid a birthday present so they remember you.

*Call up local brokerages and tell them you want a young, new agent, preferably male, to help you in your search. This will be the only agent that will return your calls to look at dumpy homes when you call them at 8am on a Saturday and want to see them at 10.

*Befriend a couple lenders. Explain to them exactly what it is you're planning on doing so they can help. Don't think you're doing them any favors by not being upfront with them.

*Don't work on a home before you close.

*Outline all your expenses on a spread sheet. This will help you budget your next project.

*Budget the property as though everything is getting replaced, even if it is a relative small job. HVAC units die even though they look healthy.

*Before you submit an offer, knock on a couple neighbor doors and ask them about the neighborhood and the history of the home. In my experience, most are overwhelmingly ready to talk about this 'eye sore' and how they want it fixed up. This is also when you learn if the neighbors are crazy or not.

*Don't expect sympathy when you speculate on a neighborhood and things don't work out as planned.

*When you're new, don't rely on a gut feeling. Do some financial modelling and see if they project even makes sense.

*Know what you're going to do with the home when finished. Flipping, short term hold, short term hold with leasing, long term hold with leasing, etc. You need a game plan before you start as it affects the house you buy and what you pay.

*Don't get caught up buying every expensive item that you would put in your ideal house. There is no quicker way to crush margins than by spending $10/ft on tile when $1/ ft will be fine or $4000 in countertops when laminate is fine. You're trying to sell this property and come out with some cash in your pocket. I would rather sell a simple home to a buyer excited to see a dishwasher than a very expensive and ornate home that has a tiny pool of buyers.

*Don't use that same rookie agent to sell it. It will take much longer to sell than with a pro.

*Have a plan b, c, d and e if things go awry. Literally sit down before you go under contract and outline every contingency you can think of and what you'll do in that situation. What happens if an appliance breaks, if I get a stop work notice, if I hold the property for longer than I expected etc etc.

*Unless you are a highly experience construction manager or foreman, don't oversee your own project. And even if you are, don't oversee your own project unless you have several months off. This is also where I recomend hiring contractors to do the work. I've yet to meet one "developer" that hasn't overestimated their construction expertise, myself included, which causes major delays and setbacks.

There's more, but part of the fun is learning it on your own.
Wow, thanks for the help.

I know experience is everything but I wanted to have a game plan, and back up options, formulated BEFORE I go into it. I don't mind making mistakes that can lead to learning experinces but I am going to do my due dilligence to cut back on those situations as much as possible.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:52 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,462,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Thanks Captain Obvious.
OK, so you think more elaboration was needed in response to the OP's post? You could have made your point in a less obnoxious manner.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
OK, so you think more elaboration was needed in response to the OP's post? You could have made your point in a less obnoxious manner.
Yes, much more elaboration is required beyond business 101.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:50 PM

40,967 posts, read 49,283,992 times
Flipping Homes like a Pancake. By Dr I. HOP

If you're over 60 you get a 15% discount.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 AM

43,367 posts, read 77,271,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Senior BOGO on Tuesday and Thursday where I work, but all real estate is local.......

Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 AM

990 posts, read 1,065,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Thanks Rakin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate