Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:37 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,930,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydayparis View Post
I think people want to know where you live so that they don't move there. For all of the authorities you have contacted, with evidence, to not resolve this problem is a crime in itself. What is it going to take for them to take serious action? - a murder like a previous poster mentioned.

I can only say what I would do and that is to leave your house and let the bank foreclose on it, or file bankruptcy and include your house. I know this sounds drastic, but there is no way - NO WAY - I would raise my children around such criminals. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Also, I don't believe you will be able to sell your house with that next door.

I second this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 03:07 PM

115 posts, read 364,467 times
Even though you do have merit behind your daily emails, I believe to the police you have become the "Busy Body" who keeps calling and complaining to your local authorities. They may look and see the call/report/email is from you and decide not to respond or put you on the back burner. I believe by their lack of interest you have been branded.

Also, they may have found that the family isn't dealing drugs but just have a lot of friends that do drugs. They can only give someone a lot of time if they have a lot of drugs on them; then they can prosecute them for intention to sale. Therefore, it probably is just a waste of time for them.

The landlord is not at fault because by law he can rent to anyone with the exception of a sex offender if he is a certain proximity to a school/playground. Also, unless it is in the lease that they can be evicted for disturbance/drug related behaviour, he will be opening himself up for a lawsuit by evicting them so you can live better. You will have to sue the tenants. The tenants can't be that bad because any government housing will have been instantly notified for a drug bust and they would have gotten kicked out. This means that they are able to pay their supposedly high rent every month for a few years.

Police rarely care about a disturbing the peace call. They can yell, scream, and argue as much as they want to as long as it isn't after the permitted times (in my area it is 10pm-7am). And I don't believe arresting someone for arguing (unless in a courthouse) will end well for the police dept. #lawsuit.

Taking photos and videos of license plates are useless. You are not a police officer. They have not been warned about it, and it will not hold up in court. Also, if you're video has sound to it and you are video taping their house you can open yourself up for a lawsuit.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:51 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,758,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevionisDream View Post
Even though you do have merit behind your daily emails, I believe to the police you have become the "Busy Body" who keeps calling and complaining to your local authorities. They may look and see the call/report/email is from you and decide not to respond or put you on the back burner. I believe by their lack of interest you have been branded.

Also, they may have found that the family isn't dealing drugs but just have a lot of friends that do drugs. They can only give someone a lot of time if they have a lot of drugs on them; then they can prosecute them for intention to sale. Therefore, it probably is just a waste of time for them.

The landlord is not at fault because by law he can rent to anyone with the exception of a sex offender if he is a certain proximity to a school/playground. Also, unless it is in the lease that they can be evicted for disturbance/drug related behaviour, he will be opening himself up for a lawsuit by evicting them so you can live better. You will have to sue the tenants. The tenants can't be that bad because any government housing will have been instantly notified for a drug bust and they would have gotten kicked out. This means that they are able to pay their supposedly high rent every month for a few years.

Police rarely care about a disturbing the peace call. They can yell, scream, and argue as much as they want to as long as it isn't after the permitted times (in my area it is 10pm-7am). And I don't believe arresting someone for arguing (unless in a courthouse) will end well for the police dept. #lawsuit.

Taking photos and videos of license plates are useless. You are not a police officer. They have not been warned about it, and it will not hold up in court. Also, if you're video has sound to it and you are video taping their house you can open yourself up for a lawsuit.
I don't think you have bothered to read my initial post, because if you had, you would have read that:

A. The drug agent asked us to keep them informed, by taking license plates, photos and videos and sending them emails when something is going on.

B. They already raided the house in February and proved there were drug dealings going on since they were monitoring the house for weeks prior to said raid. They found drugs and drug paraphrenalia all voer the house. They also had been picking up their trash weekly and found alot in there as well. So don't tell me they didn't find that much.

C. I am not the only neighbor who has called the cops, in fact, I rarely need to because someone else has done it before I decide it is bad enough to do so. And they are always there for the yelling and screaming becasue is usually leads to phyical fighting. I am not a busy body, I am worried about the quality of life for my family and the other neighbors as well. What they are doing is illegal. You mean to tell me you would be okay with this to continue and not do whatever you could to stop it? My kids are 11, 8 and 2. What am I supposed to do, just be okay with this scum?

D. Do not tell me the tenants can't be that bad. You don't live there, you don't know what I deal with everyday. Its disgusting what goes on there. Don't question me if you don't know. I have no reason to lie. Also, it is not government housing. It is a privately owned house. As I said the owner just doesn't care because he is getting his check every month. He is letting illegal activity go on at his home daily. He was informed by the drug agent what happened and we have letting him know for years what goes on. I know he doesn't have to do anything, but according to a lawyer friend of mine, he can be sued for a miriad of reasons by us. I am just trying not to have to go that route because I cannot afford it.

Why do you think you know so much about this situation? Becasue it is clear to me you know nothing about it.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:16 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,930,657 times
Quote:

You make a lot of valid points, in my view.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
I don't think you have bothered to read my initial post, because if you had, you would have read that:

A. The drug agent asked us to keep them informed, by taking license plates, photos and videos and sending them emails when something is going on.

B. They already raided the house in February and proved there were drug dealings going on since they were monitoring the house for weeks prior to said raid. They found drugs and drug paraphrenalia all voer the house. They also had been picking up their trash weekly and found alot in there as well. So don't tell me they didn't find that much.

C. I am not the only neighbor who has called the cops, in fact, I rarely need to because someone else has done it before I decide it is bad enough to do so. And they are always there for the yelling and screaming becasue is usually leads to phyical fighting. I am not a busy body, I am worried about the quality of life for my family and the other neighbors as well. What they are doing is illegal. You mean to tell me you would be okay with this to continue and not do whatever you could to stop it? My kids are 11, 8 and 2. What am I supposed to do, just be okay with this scum?

D. Do not tell me the tenants can't be that bad. You don't live there, you don't know what I deal with everyday. Its disgusting what goes on there. Don't question me if you don't know. I have no reason to lie. Also, it is not government housing. It is a privately owned house. As I said the owner just doesn't care because he is getting his check every month. He is letting illegal activity go on at his home daily. He was informed by the drug agent what happened and we have letting him know for years what goes on. I know he doesn't have to do anything, but according to a lawyer friend of mine, he can be sued for a miriad of reasons by us. I am just trying not to have to go that route because I cannot afford it.

Why do you think you know so much about this situation? Because it is clear to me you know nothing about it.
Here's my Rebuttal:

A. Yes he's going to say that because he can't tell you to screw off.He probably just wanted to seem as if he cares. But even YOU said that he hasn't responded to you guys in MONTHS. But I did say that you do have a reason to be upset.

B. If they did find out they were dealing drugs in February they would have been booked and awaiting trial (unless they bonded out) but in a small time case like this I'm sure the trial would have occurred and they would be serving jail time for committing a felony.. UNLESS they didn't find much and could only slap them with a misdemeanor and let them go. From your own admissions they are still at the house, correct? BTW, if they are doing drugs themselves.. THERE WOULD BE DRUG PARAPHERNALIA AND DRUGS around the house .

C. You say you rarely call the cops but you said, and I am paraphrasing, "I email them daily and lately everytime I call they already tell me they have a car on the way". And like I said and I am sure of no one goes to jail for yelling and being loud. I did say you may have been branded the busy body, but I also said I understand why you're like that meaning I wouldn't be okay with it.

D. I stand behind my statement. I've never heard of a family of drug addicts who are able to pay their rent every month. And coming from one of the worst crime cities in America (Thankfully I clawed my way out of it) I know exactly what it's like and even worse. But according to your lawyer FRIEND (keyword being friend who you can't afford) what can you sue the landlord for?

I think I know so much about this situation because I read the thread and you put it out there. It is indeed a Forum. But let me reiterate, I said you have the right to be upset. But the way you clearly start seeing red and firing off making my statements more than what they seem makes me feel like your doing that with your neighbors.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
You make a lot of valid points, in my view.
Thanks

Old 08-22-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Here's my Rebuttal:

A. Yes he's going to say that because he can't tell you to screw off.He probably just wanted to seem as if he cares. But even YOU said that he hasn't responded to you guys in MONTHS. But I did say that you do have a reason to be upset.

B. If they did find out they were dealing drugs in February they would have been booked and awaiting trial (unless they bonded out) but in a small time case like this I'm sure the trial would have occurred and they would be serving jail time for committing a felony.. UNLESS they didn't find much and could only slap them with a misdemeanor and let them go. From your own admissions they are still at the house, correct? BTW, if they are doing drugs themselves.. THERE WOULD BE DRUG PARAPHERNALIA AND DRUGS around the house .

C. You say you rarely call the cops but you said, and I am paraphrasing, "I email them daily and lately everytime I call they already tell me they have a car on the way". And like I said and I am sure of no one goes to jail for yelling and being loud. I did say you may have been branded the busy body, but I also said I understand why you're like that meaning I wouldn't be okay with it.

D. I stand behind my statement. I've never heard of a family of drug addicts who are able to pay their rent every month. And coming from one of the worst crime cities in America (Thankfully I clawed my way out of it) I know exactly what it's like and even worse. But according to your lawyer FRIEND (keyword being friend who you can't afford) what can you sue the landlord for?

I think I know so much about this situation because I read the thread and you put it out there. It is indeed a Forum. But let me reiterate, I said you have the right to be upset. But the way you clearly start seeing red and firing off making my statements more than what they seem makes me feel like your doing that with your neighbors.
A. The drug agent told us to keep him informed AFTER the raid of anything that goes on. He asked us to send license plates, photos and details of everything we see over there. So we do. He asked, we did not offer. We are trying to do what we were asked to get these people gone and our neighborhood back.

B. They did find DRUGS and PARAPHERNALIA around the house and in their trash. They caught them in the act doing heroin in front of their 1 year old child. They were arrested and put in jail but let out after three months and he is back in the house, and since he has returned it is just as bad as before the arrest in February and it did continue while he was gone with the other brother and father.

C. I rarely call the cops, but WHEN I have, there is usually already a car on the way from another neighbor calling about them. Again, my emails are to the DRUG AGENT and were because he requested them. If he hadn't, we would not be doing it. I have not been branded a BUSY BODY if I am only doing what they asked me to do. I don't understand why you don't get that...

D. They have money to pay their rent because the mom works and the kids are bringing in money from all the drug deals. I have seen money and packages exchanged as have the drug agents since they were casing the place for weeks prior to the raid. My lawyer FRIEND does not work in real estate law, but does know quite a bit about all types of cases, but what lawyer doesn't? It would need to be a civil suit regarding quality of life, loss of sleep, depression, etc. Which I don't want to do. I just want them gone. You have no idea what these people have done to my neighborhood, my life, my children's lives. But claim you have so much experience and were able to claw your way out of a similar situation, I would think you would be a little more understanding of my issues. When kids are involved it makes a big difference.

I did not reply in anyway that was not warranted by your cynical ramblings and stating in not so many words that you don't believe a word I am saying. I was not firing off. i was reiterating what I had said previously, which you obviously didn't see/read/care about. I have no reason to lie. I came here for help with a very bad situation, not to be criticized or questioned by you. But thank you for understanding why I would be upset about drug dealing losers ruining my life and my family's lives.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:22 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Flamingomo; You don't owe any explanations. Folks opinions are just that, some are non-empathetic opinions....colored by their own life experiences. It is hard to know how fearful and uncomfortable your living environment is...unless they too have experienced it. You are in a very tough spot. I hope you are able to get your family moved soon.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:13 PM

59 posts, read 198,892 times
My, it's amazing how civilized people really don't know how to deal with extreme scum and desperate situations. We have become so accustomed to behaving and dealing with things in a refined civilized manner (eg go form an HOA) it's almost ridiculous.

Vermin, be they human or insect, are most effectively treated in the same manner: eradication and stamping them out.

A more brute, but practical person (not I!), would just burn the house to the ground. Who's going to complain? The slumlord clearly doesn't already.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Flamingomo; You don't owe any explanations. Folks opinions are just that, some are non-empathetic opinions....colored by their own life experiences. It is hard to know how fearful and uncomfortable your living environment is...unless they too have experienced it. You are in a very tough spot. I hope you are able to get your family moved soon.
Thank you! It is not that easy to just pick up and move when you need the money from the sale of your home to start over. If money wasn't an issue, we would have been gone a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadisssss View Post
My, it's amazing how civilized people really don't know how to deal with extreme scum and desperate situations. We have become so accustomed to behaving and dealing with things in a refined civilized manner (eg go form an HOA) it's almost ridiculous.

Vermin, be they human or insect, are most effectively treated in the same manner: eradication and stamping them out.

A more brute, but practical person (not I!), would just burn the house to the ground. Who's going to complain? The slumlord clearly doesn't already.
I wish it were so simple, but I am not stooping to their criminal level. besides, our homes are connected to one another, so burning theirs down would mean mine would go with it. And FYI...I don't live in a slum, so the insinuation that there is a slumlord is a little insulting to me. The neighborhood is very nice aside from these people.

Update: Drug agent called my husband, he has been away for three weeks and is again working on the case. Doesn't explain him not getting back to us for the past few months, but whatever. He said he is "aware of what has been going on and that they are working on it"...yeah right. But at least he finally called him back. We shall see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate