Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times

Advertisements

Yes, I was thinking mold in odd places, where a house that is built in the normal fashion and timeframe does not normally get mold, but also things like twisted/warped/compromised building materials from being left out in the elements for long periods of time. Things that might be hidden from sight.

I'm just saying there are some things that not all inspectors do, like using a thermal camera to examine all the walls in the house, because of the cost of the equipment, and I would want those things done as well, even if it meant a more expensive inspection. Also, I would buy during a time of year that all systems could be checked. For example, in the winter, inspectors in my area don't check the sprinklers, or the A/C, or if conditions don't allow, the roof or the grading. I would want to be able to have everything checked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 07:48 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Yes, I was thinking mold in odd places, where a house that is built in the normal fashion and timeframe does not normally get mold, but also things like twisted/warped/compromised building materials from being left out in the elements for long periods of time. Things that might be hidden from sight.
This answer may not apply to all locations but . . . I would hope your city building inspector would catch these kinds of things. He just left but the building inspector in my town was HATED by all the builders because he was so tough on them. If you sneezed on a 2x6 then he made you replace it. If you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I'm just saying there are some things that not all inspectors do, like using a thermal camera to examine all the walls in the house, because of the cost of the equipment, and I would want those things done as well, even if it meant a more expensive inspection. Also, I would buy during a time of year that all systems could be checked. For example, in the winter, inspectors in my area don't check the sprinklers, or the A/C, or if conditions don't allow, the roof or the grading. I would want to be able to have everything checked.
I hope you realize that there is a limit to how thorough an inspector can be. The only way you can inspect a house throughly is to take it completely apart and that's not going to happen.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:26 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcry80 View Post
I am interested in a house built in 2007 which looks atleast to me to be in great shape.

Was talking to a coworker about it and he mentioned that he would NEVER buy a house built during the bubble (2003 - 2007)? I asked him why and his rationale was that they built houses so quick during that time to cash in that they must've missed a few steps.

I know this is only his observation, but does anyone on the board feel this has any merit?
I would agree with that co-worker about the "mass-built" homes.
I would also agree that when the homes & the building materials "when" its over priced (think like stock), then when brought down to the "equalizer" or (getting what one paid for), something & some money is being "saved" so someone can make that "profit" from building that house (can be lesser wall insulation, to the still to code but very "spaced" rafters or beams, to the cement poured without footers, that bolt made in a cheap labor country from a weaker material or even hiring a less skilled worker who really don't know what they are doing but hired just for the manual labor etc... ).

But...
There also exist homes build during that time that is build by the builder & HO themselves (and or) for the family members they want to "protect"....

Now, the above home when build for the builder & their family to live in, I am sure would not be of a lessor quality than a home build for that "someone else" & is for profit only & when after selling that house, the house becomes the "stranger's" problems.
KWIM????

Old 09-17-2012, 02:57 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
The only big thing I've noticed around here about houses build during the bubble is that people tend to want far more for them than they wind up selling for, most of the time.

But, that is because they paid more for them and don't want to lose their money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate