Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:19 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The agent called to give the verbal counter-offer that the seller made and asked if we had a counter on that and this is when I was expecting a call about going to sign the offer/earnest money. They jump started the process. I do know that sometimes, the realtor does know what the bottom line is especially when the seller is "motivated". We had no idea what the situation was with the seller.

I do think that the agency believes the house is overpriced. Am betting the seller wasn't happy because he is getting no offers and now probably not happy about the offer he got although, it truly was a fair offer in this market and for the house. I feel they might have done better to discuss our situation with the seller if he were anxious to sell and see if the deal might appeal to him (and whatever situation he has) before showing the house because now they have a prospective buyer walking and probably the seller will be following us.
So are you upset that the agent showed you a house that is overpriced with an unrealistic seller? What you wanted was for the agent to call the seller and pre-negotiate your price before you saw the house so that you didn't waste your time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 06:36 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
So are you upset that the agent showed you a house that is overpriced with an unrealistic seller? What you wanted was for the agent to call the seller and pre-negotiate your price before you saw the house so that you didn't waste your time?

Bingo!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:17 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Should the real estate agent have told us that we should be able to get the house for the amount we had told him that we could pay in cash? No, he should not because obviously by the verbal counter made by the seller, the real estate agency had not cleared this with him. See, I consider being ethical as not making things up in order to promote one's agenda. What is the purpose of showing a property that the buyer cannot afford other than steering the buyer to one of their own properties and hope the buyer, me in this case, is fibbing about the amount of cash we have to spend like they are about the seller being willing to meet our budget? We cannot "negotiate" funds that we do not have. Now, with the answers that I am getting, I understand that this practice is common.
When I was an agent I would tell my buyers many times that they should be able to get a certain property for $X but I would also tell them that doesn't mean the buyer will come down to $X. It seems your agent did the same but in different words. Then they wanted you to put your offer in writing but you walked because you think they won't come down to your price point without even putting pen to paper. You then call the agent unethical. I don't care that you have bought 6 houses before, you still obviously don't have a clue about the process.

In one post you say the agent said, " they then called us to see if we wanted to counter and I said "no"." but in another post you say the agent said, "The agency called to see how much more we were willing to pay.".

One other mistake you made was starting negotiations with your final offer.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:28 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
It has been our experience that no matter what you tell them you can spend, they always try to get you to spend more. I told the agent before hand what we could spend and the agency still tried to shake us down for more and that is where the issue lies. It appears that they knew the seller well enough and what he was expecting to run the offer by him first before wasting their time writing the offer up Shaking us down for more money! So, do realtors just think that sellers lie about how much that they can spend? If we have one dime over that amount, do they expect it to be theirs?

Old 10-22-2012, 06:53 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
It has been our experience that no matter what you tell them you can spend, they always try to get you to spend more. I told the agent before hand what we could spend and the agency still tried to shake us down for more and that is where the issue lies. It appears that they knew the seller well enough and what he was expecting to run the offer by him first before wasting their time writing the offer up Shaking us down for more money! So, do realtors just think that sellers lie about how much that they can spend? If we have one dime over that amount, do they expect it to be theirs?
Did the agent actually ASK you to spend more money?

I don't see anywhere in your posts that you were asked to spend MORE money.

Just that the seller did not verbally agree to your offer and that the realtor told you this and asked if you WANTED to counter (some people might have wanted to, who knows?).

When you said you weren't going to counter, the agent asked you to put your offer in writing.

The agent seems to think the seller may take your offer if it's on paper.

But, you think you're being conned. I dunno. If you are? Nothing in any of your posts seems to point to the agent doing anything out of the ordinary.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:55 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
If I had a dime for every time someone told me "I can't spend a dime over $X" or "I can't sell for a dime under $X" and then went back on their word I would be a rich man. Sometimes, if you want a house, you have to spend a little more than you'd like to get it. It wasn't your agent's decision not to sell you the house at the price you wanted. It was the seller's choice. Your agent merely asked if you wanted the house enough to make a counter offer. No one can force you to offer more. In the end, it's your decision and your decision alone what to offer for a house. Of course, it's also the seller's right to ask for more. If you can't agree then you go your seperate ways. Not everyone wants to handle things the way you did (i.e. price at or slightly above market and just take what is offered).

It just boggles my mind that you are taking issue with what's gone on. It makes me feel like I missed something when I read your story.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:46 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
how is your agent trying to get you a better house at your price point a game?

Old 10-23-2012, 05:08 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
how is your agent trying to get you a better house at your price point a game?
That is not what was happening. I know EXACTLY what was happening and it always happens when dealing with a salesman. You tell them how much you have to spend and they try to get more out of you.
I just thought maybe this one was different.

Actually, I have been posting since before we got the contract on our other house that sold and it has been one issue after another and the realtor is never at fault. You got to wonder. Today, we drove over 20 miles round trip in horrible wind to look at a house we saw on the internet. Again, it looked nothing like the photos which had obviously been retouched - let's see, the last time I complained about that on here I was told that some of the realtors do this to show the home at its best. So, at 58 years old, I guess if I sent my senior picture out to sell myself for a job or something, that would amount to showing me "at my best"? I'm thinking if we try a smaller a town that we will have better luck there just because a reputation will mean more there.

I am sure that not all realtors are like this but whenever anyone posts a complaint about a realtor anywhere in the country, several realtors jump in and blame the individual so it appears the behaviors that are being called out are considered acceptable by a few of the people in the profession.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
Quote:
That is not what was happening. I know EXACTLY what was happening and it always happens when dealing with a salesman. You tell them how much you have to spend and they try to get more out of you.
Look, all we have to go on for responding to you is the information you provided in your posts. It may very well be that the agent pressured you to bid higher as a greedy play for more money. That's not what came across in your posts. All we got was the agent asked if you wanted to counter the sellers proposal, which is a valid question. It's then up to you to say yes or no.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:04 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Well then take the time to interview buyer agents. There are agents as salespeople and agents as advisors. Find one that actually advises their clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate