Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 12:21 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz003 View Post
I'm having an issue with the HOA and the bylaws. It is stated in the by laws that the HOA covers all pipes within the walls. In one of my walls the pipe has a valve that controls the shut off to the shower. There is no telling when this was done but some of the units have these valves and some dont. The HOA stated to me that they are not responsible for the valve but no where in the by laws does it state this. Only reason I brought this up is because the plumber saw the valve and told me it could break at anytime.
I'm just nervous if the valve pops off and floods my unit and downstairs. Who is responsible??

Thanks in advance
I think it's unusual that a plumber could "eyeball" a valve and decide that it could "break at any time". I would get a second opinion, just in case he is trying to create some business.
From my limited knowledge about HOA responsibilities, I believe that if the valve is in a perimeter wall, they are responsible. Inside wall, you are responsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 03:00 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post

My last two new homes with a total of 5 showers had no such thing. I do not remember such in any other home I owned.

One thing all should learn is where the main water shutoff valve is.
All things are possible
That bit of pre-planning does make it easier if repairs are needed, rather than having to cut open and patch up later.
If the plumber saw the valve, unless he could see through walls, there must be access.
Assumption (a bad thing is it's an inside wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate