Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 06:45 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times

Advertisements

Stability seems like one of the least important reasons for owning a home. Today's messed up economy requires a high degree of flexibility, not stability. Owning a home that you cannot sell within a year without losing money is a drag on your finances. There are better reasons to own a home, including these: a defined monthly cost of housing (assuming a conventional mortgage); mortgage interest tax deduction; a place you can decorate, improve, etc. as suits your asthetics; space for personal outdoor activities such as gardening, pets, children to play; and even the potential to learn new skills. Stability was part of the dream of the 50's, 60's and 70's, but that has fallen by the wayside for too many of today's homeowners, especially many of those who bought in the last 20 yrs, sorry to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 06:46 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Worked for a company that got bought out. They sent a new CEO in. He had a family some 2000 miles away. He said he was renting a furnished apartment whlle he looked about for a place.

Soon became obvious he was in no rush to move his family.

6 months later they let most people go, closed the location, and moved all engineering to their west coast facility where he was from.

Point is had he bought a home (or even rented) and relocated his family, it would have shown a committment to the company. It was simply a "tell sign" that he did not. Some of us did read it.

Maybe some just want you in the same trap. Married, kids, home owners, in debt. Maybe it is envy of your life style. Maybe she sees you as the new Daddy for her kids..........LOL

Old 11-18-2012, 09:26 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
> See post #2.

And then see it again.

It's your life. Live it the way you want to.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:12 AM

397 posts, read 613,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
...There are better reasons to own a home, including these: a defined monthly cost of housing (assuming a conventional mortgage); mortgage interest tax deduction; a place you can decorate, improve, etc. as suits your asthetics; space for personal outdoor activities such as gardening, pets, children to play; and even the potential to learn new skills. Stability was part of the dream of the 50's, 60's and 70's, but that has fallen by the wayside for too many of today's homeowners, especially many of those who bought in the last 20 yrs, sorry to say.
There are intangible benefits of owning a home, but fixed monthly costs is not of them. This goes in the plus column for renting.

If you rent are a renting a home, outdoor space is equal whether you rent or buy.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:28 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
My point was that landlords in most locations can raise the rent every time there is a new lease while a mortgage payment stays the same for 30 yrs. Also, vis a vis outdoor space, it depends on whether you delight in doing your own landscaping. A lot of homeowners actually do.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:14 PM

398 posts, read 545,614 times
Over the years I have bought and sold a few houses and I find a lot of satisfaction at feeling "dug-in" to where I live. In fact, the single biggest shock I have had to weather since relocating to Miss. is the fact that my job may not be secure enough to allow me to buy a place here and really sink my roots down. Still working through that right now.

For me, being "stable" has a lot to do with my relationships with the neighbors, what sort of connections I have with the small businesses in my area and how much satisfaction I get from what the area has to offer. As I write this I have to say that so far I don't feel real "stable". The neighbors in my apt complex tend to keep to themselves and they don't seem to respond well to someone wanting to get to know them. Not sure what thats about. In the same way, the businesses don't seem to be very open to getting to know me or letting me get to know them. I share all of this not to whine, but to wonder if things would be different if I could boast a "permanent address" (IE. a house) rather than an apt address. Thoughts?

BTW: I am also a HUGE Dog Person so a house with a backyard means a lot to my relationship with my four-footed friend.

FWIW.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:32 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
My point was that landlords in most locations can raise the rent every time there is a new lease while a mortgage payment stays the same for 30 yrs. Also, vis a vis outdoor space, it depends on whether you delight in doing your own landscaping. A lot of homeowners actually do.
The mortgage payment may remain the same but taxes and utilities like water/sewer/trash probably won't.
The same things that neccessitate raises in rents affect homeowners.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:38 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Home owner today are like a ship with their anchor firmly set in the oceans floor. Home ownership today is that just that you have to stay ( doesn't mean a more stably life ).
guess all those blocks with foreclosed and vandalized homes all over the country kind of throw that thought to the wind today.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:31 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Mortgage rates can get adjusted too.
What happened to all those people who couldn't pay the mortgage after it adjusted?

You could also buy a house and it turns out the neighbor is the ***** from hell.
Guess what? You are stuck there.
With renting,you could just move out.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:33 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
In Nj,landlords can't raise the rent more than 10 to 15% per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate