Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 05:04 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,830,328 times

Advertisements

I would consider disclosing such an offer only if it was pretty sound. Then why not?

In general I would tend to believe such disclosures. RE Agents may mislead but they don't generally lie. There may, for instance, be other conditions to the high offer that the agent is not disclosing. Or it may be financed and subject to an appraisal.

If an offer appears too good to be true it probably is. So you counter with a big EMD and an early forfeiture and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 PM

605 posts, read 2,150,606 times
Legally, the agents cannot disclose offers, even accepted ones. We went through this just recently. Many times, a realtor doesn't know the price until it is public knowledge.

Sounds fishy and like a scam to me.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,830,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Legally, the agents cannot disclose offers, even accepted ones. We went through this just recently. Many times, a realtor doesn't know the price until it is public knowledge.

Ahhh Bull. With seller permission the listing agent can disclose anything. And permission is seldom hard to get.

You can often get a hint if not the exact number when asking for comp reasons. "Got over list." for instance.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:47 PM

40,977 posts, read 49,304,329 times
It would be dangerous saying this if not true. You risk scaring away a good buyer.

Huge risk.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:02 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,902,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
My agent says the house is not worth the list price based on comps but the market supply of homes here is very low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Everything is about supply and demand. If the supply of homes is "very low" like you state, then the house is still worth what someone is willing to pay for it with not allowing another buyer to buy it. Market demands what it demands.
But it still has to appraise (if financed, of course). If the $25K puts it well above market, then make your market offer and let the cards fall where they may. Do you want to pay more than the home is worth?

Old 12-11-2012, 07:30 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,956,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post

If the seller authorizes the disclosure, he most certainly can, at least in my market, and I believe just about everywhere. In some cases, it might even be the seller calling the shot, thinking that such a disclosure will cause the second buyer to come in above that price.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:32 AM

121 posts, read 217,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
I was going to put an offer in on a house this morning when my agent called to inform me that the seller's agent said they received an offer that was $25k above the list. I've never had this happen before and am surprised the agent told us this. Can I assume that this information is reliable?
NO, Realtors lie to up their commissions. Pay what YOU are comfortable with, and not what an RE tells you too! The mortgage does not come out of the RE's pocket, it comes out of yours, and if you're not careful you may loose your home to foreclosure should something happen to your job.

People need to pay what they can afford, and not what some inconsiderate seller/realtor thinks they should. This is how they drove the market up back in 2006....I don't think we want THAT to happen again do we?

Remember if the floors suck they can be changed, and so forth, the mortgage can't be changed once you take one out.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:59 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,798,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia10 View Post
NO, Realtors lie to up their commissions. Pay what YOU are comfortable with, and not what an RE tells you too! The mortgage does not come out of the RE's pocket, it comes out of yours, and if you're not careful you may loose your home to foreclosure should something happen to your job.

People need to pay what they can afford, and not what some inconsiderate seller/realtor thinks they should. This is how they drove the market up back in 2006....I don't think we want THAT to happen again do we?

Remember if the floors suck they can be changed, and so forth, the mortgage can't be changed once you take one out.
The listing agents job is to get the sellers house sold for the most amount of money, and/or best terms.

Which of the following would you prefer if you were selling your home?
  • Prefer that the listing agent would get the most money for your home? or
  • Prefer that the listing agent sell it very low so you don't have buyers pay more than they can afford and you won't drive the market back up?

Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 AM

121 posts, read 217,621 times
I would price the house for what it is really worth, and not inflate the price to create useless bidding wars. Which is exactly what we did when we sold our last house back in 2005.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
The listing agents job is to get the sellers house sold for the most amount of money, and/or best terms.

Which of the following would you prefer if you were selling your home?
  • Prefer that the listing agent would get the most money for your home? or
  • Prefer that the listing agent sell it very low so you don't have buyers pay more than they can afford and you won't drive the market back up?

Old 12-12-2012, 08:13 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,014,942 times
[quote=algia10;27307589]NO, Realtors lie to up their commissions. [quote]

That's just silly. Do the math. The extra commission (net to the listing agent) for an extra $25K isn't enough to make a difference to the realtor. It's our job to help the seller get the best price possible, given the value of the house which we cannot change.

It's funny, when it's the other way around, people complain that the listing agent is trying to lower the price to get a quick sale. It's not the realtor that sets the price. It's the seller that sets the list price, and the market that determines the sales price.

Here, it's completely legal to disclose other offers unless the seller says no, or the seller signs a non-disclosure agreement with the buyer before the offer is submitted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate