Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 03:45 PM

815 posts, read 979,627 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in the process of moving from IL to FL.
I've contacted a few realtors that had good reviews on Zillow, but I wasn't impressed after talking to them.
A former coworker in the area we are moving to has given me the name of a realtor he used and liked, but I have not contacted this realtor yet. He is not listed on Zillow.
I like that there are reviews on Zillow for agents, but I'm also aware that Zillow isn't the most reliable real estate source.
Unfortunately, I have made some poor decisions in the past choosing good realtors, so I'm more than a little nervous. Also, this is the first time we've been in a situation where we are purchasing a home in one state (FL) while we are currently residing in another (IL).
I need to figure this out quickly; we are planning to visit next week to look at homes.
I'm inclined at this point to go with the personal recommendation from my former coworker, but it's hard to ignore the numerous positive reviews I see on Zillow for other agents.
I'm so confused
Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 03:49 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
I've contacted a few realtors that had good reviews on Zillow, but I wasn't impressed after talking to them.
A former coworker in the area we are moving to has given me the name of a realtor he used and liked, but I have not contacted this realtor yet. He is not listed on Zillow.
I like that there are reviews on Zillow for agents, but I'm also aware that Zillow isn't the most reliable real estate source.
Unfortunately, I have made some poor decisions in the past choosing good realtors, so I'm more than a little nervous. Also, this is the first time we've been in a situation where we are purchasing a home in one state (FL) while we are currently residing in another (IL).
I need to figure this out quickly; we are planning to visit next week to look at homes.
I'm inclined at this point to go with the personal recommendation from my former coworker, but it's hard to ignore the numerous positive reviews I see on Zillow for other agents.
I'm so confused
Any advice?
if I was in your situation, this is what I would be doing.

or, crunch time calling as many agents as you can and try and get a good feel from that

Old 02-27-2013, 03:52 PM

355 posts, read 912,901 times
Zillow ratings can be fabricated, there is no verification process. I would go with a reference from a friend over a zillow rating. Where in Florida are you looking?

Old 02-27-2013, 04:02 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
I'm so confused
Any advice?
Zillow is so bogus, unreliable. You should be researching Realtors' offices online, or a few major franchises that have an office in the area you want to move to. You will find a link that usually says "Our Agents", click on that and read the various agents' biographies, which will give you length of time in the business, awards they have earned, and how many listings they have that are on the market. Give a call to a few who you think you can relate to according to their experience and knowledge of the area which is very important. You want a full time agent, not a part time agent. And make sure you have an agent to represent you. FL has what I consider a strange setup as to how agents represent buyers. Most of them are only responsible for the transaction (transactional agent), and that is the lowest form of "no" representation. I believe you have to have it in writing as to who the agent represents. A FL agent on here will clarify that for you.

Best wishes.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:04 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
It depends on how many reviews they had. When you do a review on there you have to write in the address of the property that the agent sold for you. For listings it is easy for Zillow to verify that the agent sold the listing. So, in my opinion, any agent that has around 15 reviews is going to have several real ones on there.

What didn't impress you about the agents you called?

Old 02-27-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
Zillow ratings can be fabricated, there is no verification process. I would go with a reference from a friend over a zillow rating. Where in Florida are you looking?

Tallahassee.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It depends on how many reviews they had. When you do a review on there you have to write in the address of the property that the agent sold for you. For listings it is easy for Zillow to verify that the agent sold the listing. So, in my opinion, any agent that has around 15 reviews is going to have several real ones on there.

What didn't impress you about the agents you called?
Too much talking and not enough listening. Got a sort of "used car salesman" feeling from one.
Another just seemed ditzy and rambling.
One made a few religious comments that I found presumptuous. (No judgement, I just don't mix religion/politics with business).

So, it's possible that some of the reviews are "fake"?

Old 02-27-2013, 04:18 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Most agents on Zillow are good upstanding people that take their business seriously but personalities are different and can clash. Even the best agent in the world might not be a good fit for you. I would go with your recomendation from your friend. You could check out houses and if you like the agent then at the end of the tour sign the buyers agreement and work with him. Reviews on Zillow are important but think about this If you had a sour deal would you suggest to the client to give you a review whereas the good deals Yeah get on there and write it up for me! It is human nature.
Go with the recommendation or call a few more agents and feel them out. If your gut is telling you no then trust it.
Good luck

Old 02-27-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Most agents on Zillow are good upstanding people that take their business seriously but personalities are different and can clash. Even the best agent in the world might not be a good fit for you. I would go with your recomendation from your friend. You could check out houses and if you like the agent then at the end of the tour sign the buyers agreement and work with him. Reviews on Zillow are important but think about this If you had a sour deal would you suggest to the client to give you a review whereas the good deals Yeah get on there and write it up for me! It is human nature.
Go with the recommendation or call a few more agents and feel them out. If your gut is telling you no then trust it.
Good luck
I did notice that ALL the Zillow reviews were 5 star. The only variance was the number of reviews.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:47 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Worthless

Zillow reviews are worthless.
Why?
How do you know if the reviewer actually was a consumer? You don't.
How do you judge the reviewer's competency? You can't as they will only have 1 review.

Angie's List has solved this problem by charging consumers to write reviews.

Yelp has solved this problem by filtering out bogus reviews.
In the Yelp world there are 501s and 101s. 5 stars, 0 friends, 1 review. Worthless.
On the other hand, when a Yelper has written 200+ reviews, you can usually trust their reviews. But, real-estate agents have very few reviews on Yelp. And, most of us only use the services of real-estate once every decade or so.

For me, these are 2 important questions for someone who might become my buyer's agent.
1. How many sides have done in the past 12 months?
2. Where do you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate