Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 06:55 PM

550 posts, read 1,487,846 times

Advertisements

The time has come for me to put my beloved 1910 bungalow on the market. Before I do that, there are a couple small issues with the kitchen that we probably should have taken care of if it can be done relatively cheaply:

1) Our cabinet doors are peeling. They are those melamine or thermofoil doors. Three are peeling, and one has not only peeled, but the coating has warped so it can't just be glued back down. I'd like to either get that fixed or get new doors. Does anybody do just new doors? The closest I've found is "refacing", which would cost something ridiculous like $10k. We could just get new cabinets for that!

2) The granite in front of my sink has cracked from when I climbed on it to try to tighten the light above the sink (turns out it was dim because it was a compact fluorescent, not because it wasn't screwed in right -- don't get me started on compact fluorescents). I've gotten many conflicting reports about whether or not this can be repaired. Realtors have told me it can be repaired to the point where you can't even tell anything was ever wrong. Granite companies have told me anything from "it can't be fixed" to "we can fix it but can't guarantee that it'll look like new". Is there some magical company that can fix cracked granite like the realtors say? If so could somebody throw me a recommendation? And has anybody had theirs fixed, and if so how did it turn out?

The rest of our issues I think I can handle -- painting the porches, replacing a broken fan, etc. But these two have me stumped.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 07:14 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
1) Our cabinet doors are peeling. They are those melamine or thermofoil doors. Three are peeling, and one has not only peeled, but the coating has warped so it can't just be glued back down. I'd like to either get that fixed or get new doors. Does anybody do just new doors? The closest I've found is "refacing", which would cost something ridiculous like $10k. We could just get new cabinets for that!
if you are lucky, you might be able to buy just the doors and replace the peeling ones. The big box stores used to sell ready-to-assemble white thermofoil cabinets. I'd check HD or Lowe's first.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:41 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
If it's slab granite, then I'd just follow the Realtors' advice you've gotten already. I haven't put my eyes on it, so I can't advise you. I've never seen granite crack as you're speaking of, so maybe you're being really critical at this time? It could be a much less crack than your critical eyes are seeing. Of course a granite company can't guarantee the efforts because all they'd be doing is applying a non-granite substance.

As to the doors, if you have wood boxes then I'd replace all the doors with a simple painted Shaker style that looks really appropriate to your home's vintage. Otherwise, you may find some as noted above, though they also discolor with age so those 3-4 doors may really stick out.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
Are there any homeowners outlets here?
Where I used to live, there was a store called HOBO (home owner's buying outlet) and they sold new cabinet doors pretty cheap. This is different from Restore, where we found just odds n ends of mismatched things. Otherwise, I know I had to buy a replacement cabinet door (had a tenant for a brief period and somehow they cracked a kitchen cabinet that was only a couple years old-and solid oak!) and it was purchased from one of the big stores-we may have had to order the correct size, and it was unfinished so we had to stain it to match the others. You would be able to paint the doors pretty easily if you got all new ones so they would match.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:16 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Sample Cabinet Doors Cabinet Doors

Cabinet doors & Cabinet Refacing supplies

Custom cabinet doors, wholesale cabinet doors, cabinet doors online

Old 05-28-2013, 06:11 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
As to the doors, if you have wood boxes then I'd replace all the doors with a simple painted Shaker style that looks really appropriate to your home's vintage. Otherwise, you may find some as noted above, though they also discolor with age so those 3-4 doors may really stick out.
That's a really good suggestion, if you can afford to replace all the doors. Thermofoil is not really appropriate for a vintage house, as it is a plastic.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:58 AM

550 posts, read 1,487,846 times
I do think I have wood boxes. I managed to find some companies that can fix my countertop on homeadvisor. I think some of the shops I contacted just didn't want the business, or they thought they could sell me a whole new granite countertop. So I think I'm all set there. Does anyone know of a company or handyman that could measure, order, and hang new cabinet doors for me? I'm NOT a do it yourselfer, nor do I have the time to invest.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:11 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
What kind of cabinetry is inside other vintage homes in your area? What's the price point of homes in your area?

1910 vintage and thermofoil cabs seems inconsistent to me.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:16 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
I've never seen a granite countertop crack. Is yours solid slab, or tiles? Guessing it must be fairly thin?

How bad is the crack? Are we talking a hairlike crack, or does it look like a chuck of granite is about to fall off?

Old 05-29-2013, 09:28 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Photos would really help. The cabinet doors are a major project; there is no quick fix for that, and potential buyers won't stand for peeling cabinet doors. I would either get a quote on stock cabinets in a style better suited to the house or invest in the refacing. Years ago, we refaced melamine cabinets and got natural cherry doors. It was gorgeous, a whole new room.

I can't imagine granite cracking from a person standing on it.

It sounds like you have a LOT of deferred maintenance issues. Have you had your real estate agent come in to recommend the best changes to spend you money on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate