Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 12:30 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,937,390 times

Advertisements

It's hard to tell from the pic how steep the hill really is so I can't say if it would be a huge deterrent. Our new property has about 1600+ feet of driveway however it's fairly flat and curves around our pond. I plan to have special features and seating areas along the way just like "cully" pointed out. I also like to walk this stretch of land so if it had a hill...I think it might make the walk a little less pleasurable :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 12:43 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,937,390 times
One other consideration is the visibility along the road. I think you said it is pretty straight but from the one picture it looks curved in some areas. Plus a lot of high vegetation right next to the road. Being a woman i might be a little scared driving in at night especially if I was by myself.

The road also looks pretty narrow (only single car width). What happens if I was leaving to go to the store and my husband was on his way in? Are there any areas to turn around or pull over so another car could get through?

I'm not sure if you are the seller or possible buyer so I would probably have a little different answer based on which one you are. Just a FYI....To me having a long drive is a plus....because I like being far from the road and having the privacy....but I would need to make sure some of my concerns referenced above were addressed.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:19 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
It's hard to tell from the pic how steep the hill really is so I can't say if it would be a huge deterrent. Our new property has about 1600+ feet of driveway however it's fairly flat and curves around our pond. I plan to have special features and seating areas along the way just like "cully" pointed out. I also like to walk this stretch of land so if it had a hill...I think it might make the walk a little less pleasurable :-)
I found out you cann't walk up the driveway when it has ice or snow on it. So the owners have keep putting alot of salt on it during the winter. I'm a buyer.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:57 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,615,907 times
On the plat map...what's at the top? Is that another property or a road? Can one come in from that angle any easier?

I was just going to ask that....is there ice there. Imagine all that salt. That's not sprinkling a little by hand but by machine. Do you have a plow for any snow removal?

I looks like a great survivalist's spot. Or for someone that just wants to enjoy a peaceful hobby in nature such as painting. Or for someone who doesn't want neighbors interfering with lots of car parts around the yard. Or for a getaway when the weather conditions are perfect.

Still hard to judge the slope. What do you think the angle is?

What about hunting? A lot of the driveway is close to property on either side. Is there hunting on those properties and is that a concern in season?

Old 08-06-2013, 06:30 AM

710 posts, read 1,960,878 times
Hi, John. My driveway has a similar slope uphill, only curvier and more twisty. I love it except for Thursdays, when I have to drag the trash can down and then back up. We never salt it and I think one little Honda Civic got stuck going up it (guest, not us) in the 8 winters we've been perched up here.

We are generally more private than most, though. I think you either really dig this kind of thing or you don't. I can tell you from having my current place on the market this spring, a lot of people really dig it.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:54 AM

311 posts, read 634,446 times
For me it wouldn't be the driveway. It's be that it's a double wide and not a stick built home. The other would be the dimensions of the land. When we looked for acreage to buy we wanted something that was somewhat square vs long and narrow.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:59 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
I like the privacy but the 2 things I have issue with are:

1. Trailer home
2. The skinny property. It's 10 acres but the front part is not usable for much.

As for the icing and now, just wait, it'll be gone soon.

To the poster who asked about a snow plow - hahaha.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 AM

248 posts, read 674,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Bound View Post
For me it wouldn't be the driveway. It's be that it's a double wide and not a stick built home. The other would be the dimensions of the land. When we looked for acreage to buy we wanted something that was somewhat square vs long and narrow.
My thoughts exactly. The land survey looks weird. I bet one would never guess its a 10acre property.

Plus the pictures of the driveway along would never let me sleep at night. Looks way too secluded for my taste... it probably has to do with my current location (northeast)

Old 08-06-2013, 07:32 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
It's always best to be on top.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:50 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,615,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I like the privacy but the 2 things I have issue with are:

1. Trailer home
2. The skinny property. It's 10 acres but the front part is not usable for much.

As for the icing and now, just wait, it'll be gone soon.

To the poster who asked about a snow plow - hahaha.

You can remove ice easier (and apparently there's the ice issue since the current owners have used a whole lot of sale) with just a drive down with a plow than with a shovel on 1500'. It it's too low to plow but bad enough to cause problems given the densely wooded location you can break it up much easier with machinery if it's already handy than hiking up and down that thing with a shovel and pounding away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate