Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 06:24 AM

17 posts, read 33,181 times

Advertisements

I just bought a house with cash. After we did the closing the lawyer that did the closing gave me only couple of docs one of these docs was the warranty deed. When I asked where is the title insurance that I pay for, he told me that I can get it only after the deed will be come back to his office after recording it. Is that true ? How can I be sure that I bought the house free and clear if I don't have title insurance at the same moment when we did the closing and I paid all the money ? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 11:02 AM

17 posts, read 33,181 times
Any one ???

Old 09-05-2013, 11:13 AM

192 posts, read 403,739 times
I would check with the lawyer and see if the title search was ever done. Perhaps he thinks you are just asking for the paperwork on the insurance policy. The fact that you paid for it at closing makes me think it was probably done and this is just a misunderstanding.

You are right it is usually done before the closing, but then most purchases have a mortgage and so clear title is required by your mortgage holder before the closing is ever scheduled (and you actually are paying for 2 policies, one for you and one for your mortgage holder).

Old 09-05-2013, 12:15 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times
Is there a charge for title insurance on your HUD1 statement?

Old 09-05-2013, 12:55 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
You already closed without knowing if you had clear title? Yikes.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:02 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Since you stated that you paid for title insurance, I'll assume you have it. It is common here in my part of Florida for the original deed to be sent to the clerk of the court for recording and for the recorded copy to be sent to the buyer after about a month or so. I'm not sure how long it takes for the policy to show up but the closing agents usually talk in terms of 4-6 weeks. So, what you are describing seems to be consistent with my local experience but call the attorney and confirm it.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:18 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times
If you have paid for title insurance (verify on the HUD1) then you should receive a title insurance policy with a few weeks after closing. The attorney is correct. Once he/she records the Deed, their office prepares the final title opinion along with any other applicable docs and sends to the title insurance company for processing. Timing depends on how quickly the attorney sends the information in and the title company processing it. If you don't receive it within 30-45 days of closing. I would call the attorney for a status.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:43 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Two issues...Title Search, and Title Insurance. Usually contracted with the same Company. You want to make sure, for obvious reasons, that the title search is done prior to closing, and that, at closing, you have clear title. The Insurance of this title commences at closing, and as has been said, the 'official' insurance policy document will arrive a few weeks later when all of the dust settles.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:32 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
What does your attorney mean by "can get it". Get a document in hand or buy it? I know what he should mean and if he doesn't mean that you should worry about how good a closing attorney he is.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:44 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liors288 View Post
I just bought a house with cash. After we did the closing the lawyer that did the closing gave me only couple of docs one of these docs was the warranty deed. When I asked where is the title insurance that I pay for, he told me that I can get it only after the deed will be come back to his office after recording it. Is that true ? How can I be sure that I bought the house free and clear if I don't have title insurance at the same moment when we did the closing and I paid all the money ? Thank you
This is something that should have been asked before closing. You should have reviewed the title commitment which outlines the conditions under which the title policy will be issued. With some title policies, there are significant exceptions to the title policy which the title company does not insure against.

The good news, however, is that you received a warranty deed--so there are some protections which go along with that sort of conveyance. Chances are, if a title policy has been ordered, you should be okay. But, still, assuring that prior to closing is a standard practice.

I can only assume that you had neither an agent or an attorney representing you. Be more careful next time. Hopefully, this transaction will be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate