Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 06:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And what exactly would you have told the police? I can only imagine their reaction.
Where I live I have no doubt the sheriff's office would have had an interest. As a potential robbery or home invasion situation. Sheriffs in my area often do drive-bys of houses at risk for crime. Homes for sale, especially if they are empty, are commonplace crime sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 07:40 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
All these people who think their children should have a say in which home they purchase should take into consideration that kids who are tired, or bored, or hungry, or want to be somewhere else, could very well act very badly during the showing. If that kid has a temper tantrum or gripes the entire time, do you really think that kid will want you to buy that house. NOT! So are you going to kowtow to this kid and not buy a house you really want just because the kid had a tantrum and didn't like the house???

Where are the adults in the family? Kids have way too much power in families today...

Old 10-15-2013, 07:43 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post
Why so snarky and defensive? I answered your question earnestly, don't you dare attack me. You do things your way, and I do things mine. I don't judge you. Who are you to judge me, especially when you don't know the specifics of my situation? No, we weren't looking to buy a house, we were in the market to lease, and yes, we got the house she was showing to us. Since you seem to "know" so much about my situation, I thought I'd fill in the gaps for you.

I'm sorry, but it was TOTALLY unprofessional for the realtor to bring her kid to work. No, it's not the kid's fault, it was her mother's; and yes, I can judge her. If she's earning a commission, she works for ME, and as my "employee" I have every right to judge her job performance. If you want your realtor to drag her kid to showings, then have at it; but as for me, I'd prefer to work with a realtor who takes her job more seriously. If you have a problem with that, well then that's too bad for you. Find someone else to bully, because I refuse to tolerate your abuse, you troll.
There was no snark or defensiveness in my post.

If you wanted a different response, you should have given the specifics in your OP. I still would have suggested you have your financial issues in a row and had made your realtor aware of them before viewing a property to lease.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:09 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
There was no snark or defensiveness in my post.

If you wanted a different response, you should have given the specifics in your OP. I still would have suggested you have your financial issues in a row and had made your realtor aware of them before viewing a property to lease.

Still doesn't excuse the realtor from bringing their kid to the job site before/wo getting approval.

If I called a plumber I wouldn't expect him to be bringing his kids with in the house while he worked.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:25 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Is this abnormal? We have been bringing our two school age children with us to showings when we see houses as we don't have sitters nearby. Then we have our realtor, so there are 5 people going into the house to look at it. Is the norm to find someone to watch the kids? Mine are very well behaved, but sometimes I notice that sellers wait in the cars on the street and I wonder if they are mad we have our children with us. We don't allow them to touch ANYTHING!!

Just curious about your view on both sides selling and looking.
They're going to live in the house too. As long as they don't damage the property I don't see the issue.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:53 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Where I live I have no doubt the sheriff's office would have had an interest. As a potential robbery or home invasion situation. Sheriffs in my area often do drive-bys of houses at risk for crime. Homes for sale, especially if they are empty, are commonplace crime sites.
So what do you think they would do? Go talk to everyone who saw the house and interrogate them?

Old 10-15-2013, 08:57 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
My siblings and I were all well behaved for the most part, but my parents never brought us when they were house hunting (and we moved a lot.)

Mom and Dad wanted to be able to focus on finding a home, often they were on a tight deadline (3 days in a new city to find a house, that sort of thing). They didn't want to have to go at a slower pace, deal with children who needed snacks/naps/something to drink/to go potty, and they didn't want to be distracted by keeping track of us and our needs.

I suspect they also didn't want to deal with any of us falling in love with a house that they didn't purchase... especially if we fell in love with a house for a reason like "it has a pink bathroom."

I'm not a parent, but I didn't want to bring anyone house hunting with me unless their name was going to be on the mortgage paperwork.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Still doesn't excuse the realtor from bringing their kid to the job site before/wo getting approval.

If I called a plumber I wouldn't expect him to be bringing his kids with in the house while he worked.

I wouldn't expect my roofer to bring his kid along either - way too dangerous.

Showing a house isn't exactly brain surgery. You've got private financial issues you need to discuss? You should have settled that and had it done before wasting anyone's time...including the realtor's kid.

And let's get something straight: you don't like a realtor bringing his/her kid to a showing (and I would guarantee it's not a normal thing, more of a last ditch effort IF you don't have a long term relationship with said realtor), find another realtor if you've got such a stick up your behind and can't BELIEVE it actually happened to you! The HORROR!

How DOES one get past that when it happens to them?

Is there a support group for non-serious buyers/sellers who were "oh so offended" that some kid showed up - on either end?

Last edited by Informed Info; 10-15-2013 at 10:48 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
My siblings and I were all well behaved for the most part, but my parents never brought us when they were house hunting (and we moved a lot.)

Mom and Dad wanted to be able to focus on finding a home, often they were on a tight deadline (3 days in a new city to find a house, that sort of thing). They didn't want to have to go at a slower pace, deal with children who needed snacks/naps/something to drink/to go potty, and they didn't want to be distracted by keeping track of us and our needs.

I suspect they also didn't want to deal with any of us falling in love with a house that they didn't purchase... especially if we fell in love with a house for a reason like "it has a pink bathroom."

I'm not a parent, but I didn't want to bring anyone house hunting with me unless their name was going to be on the mortgage paperwork.
You're not a parent, but you didn't want to?

You either lying or confused.

This thread isn't about parents feeling a need to bring their kids house shopping.

It's about how irrational some are about having children show up to their listings for sale as a realtor, and how irrational some sellers are (who don't want no kid in 'da house) who have a house to sell.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:01 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
You're not a parent, but you didn't want to?

You either lying or confused.

This thread isn't about parents feeling a need to bring their kids house shopping.

It's about how irrational some are about having children show up to their listings for sale as a realtor, and how irrational some sellers are (who don't want no kid in 'da house) who have a house to sell.
Uhh... okay. Interesting way to interpret my post.

Let me clarify. I'm not a parent... but, I didn't want to bring anyone house hunting with me (such as friends, siblings, boyfriend, cousins, parents) because I felt only the people who would be signing the mortgage papers got a vote. In my case, that was just me. If I had children, this would extend to them, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate