Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:55 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,652,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Can you enlighten me as to what it depends on? Or guide me to the right subsection of this forum for the right answer?
Well..... lets say after the police station opens, its annoying to people living near it. People will start putting their homes for sale. If there is enough competition to sell, it will drive home prices down as sellers will cut deals lower and lower.

On the other hand if its a bad neighborhood and people like it because it makes the area safe, people selling will raise their prices and property values will go up.

Its complicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 09:56 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,368,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I would get tired of picking up Dunkin Donuts boxes.

LOL, being that we are a small town there is no dunkin donuts. Or even a donut shop... although I wouldn't complain if they put one nearby.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:58 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,368,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Well..... lets say after the police station opens, its annoying to people living near it. People will start putting their homes for sale. If there is enough competition to sell, it will drive home prices down as sellers will cut deals lower and lower.

On the other hand if its a bad neighborhood and people like it because it makes the area safe, people selling will raise their prices and property values will go up.

Its complicated.
I see. Well, since the old station rarely had a car in the parking lot, i'm hoping there won't be sirens at all hours and not too much traffic for it. But the area is in no way dangerous or otherwise. It is zoned for A rated schools, close proximity to shopping, yet still in a small town. I love it here but would hate to see home values drop.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:17 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I would get tired of picking up Dunkin Donuts boxes.

Don't make me come over there

The police department in our town is a five minute walk from our house. I walk my dogs after work to the park next to the department. I know most of the midnight shift and one of my grown up shorties is on the afternoon shift. They're very considerate about not using sirens late at night when they go out on calls. They were right there when a drunk young man decided to open our locked front door at 8am. I wish they were right next door instead of down the block. It would be like having your own personal security 24/7. Oh and so far not one Dunkin Donut box Mr. Mike.

I wouldn't worry about your property values. Ours are in the toilet because of the economy and the white color thieves, not because of our men and women in blue.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:52 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,616,978 times
Waxhaw has a great 30 year plan. As the main N/S route is widened it will be developed. Mostly the north end, I am told. Some developers are hoping to get in on what was missed by waiting too long in others counties. A lot of land has already been bought.

That to say, I suppose part of the north end infrastructure is the security of a police station.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:40 AM

12 posts, read 59,196 times
Our local Police Department is moving the stables for our mounted police into a field across from our house. We are thrilled. I cannot imagine any sirens going off--although weve been told a wandering horse may end up on our lawn! All I have to say is "finders keepers!" LOL (just kidding folks!)

Old 02-02-2017, 05:37 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryG1959 View Post
Our local Police Department is moving the stables for our mounted police into a field across from our house. We are thrilled. I cannot imagine any sirens going off--although weve been told a wandering horse may end up on our lawn! All I have to say is "finders keepers!" LOL (just kidding folks!)
Lucky you - that's totally cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate