Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 06:48 AM

327 posts, read 526,253 times

Advertisements

Just heard a short piece on NPR; some guy has created a website for people to look up houses and see if there's a public record of a death having occurred onsite.

Seems a renter of his accused the person of renting out a haunted place, and the person was surprised to find there is no disclosure required in his area of previous deaths on the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 07:10 AM

311 posts, read 634,532 times
The house we live in now I know one of the previous owners died. Not sure if it was in the house.

Another house we own I know lots of people died in. My grandma, grandpa, great grandpa, and great grandma. That's it AFAIK.

The house we are thinking of buying is part of an estate sale because the wife died. Not sure if it was in the house. The husband died many years ago. Again not sure on location.

People die. All different locations. I don't think disclosures of deaths are required around here either. If disclosures become required for a home what about other locations. The mall, grocery store, Target, etc.? Are people going to avoid places where others have died just in case it's haunted. Sounds stupid.

With that said I want to also say violent crime deaths would fall in a different category for me. Murders or people held hostage who died would be criminal and maybe those should be disclosed. No logical reason comes to my mind just how I feel. Other than making sure the crime scene has been properly cleaned etc.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:45 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,140,529 times
One of my previous homes was an estate sale. I asked the realtor if she knew if there had been a death in the house and she told me she didnt know. By her reaction I could tell she did. We did buy the house. Shortly after moving in the neighbor did tell me the woman died in the house. She even knew what bedroom. It started to creep me out some. I specifically chose that bedroom where the death occurred to be our office. It didnt take me long to get over it though as the previous owner was deeply loved by so many people. Neighbors kept giving us keys to our house (we had already changed the locks anyway) but the woman had an open door policy with everyone. She was also the president of a garden club at one time. I could plant anything in that yard and it would just bloom. Im not religious by any means but I couldnt help but feel that maybe her spirit lingered on and made us feel welcome.

A murder would make me feel different. I read an article not too long ago that a couple bought a house and got a good deal. The day of closing they were informed of the home's past. They thought it over and decided they would go ahead with it. They lived in the house for 3 yrs and then the suspected killer went to trial. It became a national media frenzy. The couple had very little knowledge of the whole story and then regretted the purchase. Gawkers planted themselves outside, the media would show up taking photos of the house etc. Now they are upset because the property is stigmatized. So I guess if you are going to buy a house where a murder took place, make sure the trial is done and over with.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:52 AM

502 posts, read 895,955 times
I don't see the big deal. People die. I was with my Mema when she died - in her bed in the home she and my mom shared. Mom still lives there and we usually stay in Mema's room.

I wouldn't care one bit if someone died in my house - even violently. It doesn't affect the house at all.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:03 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Nope. I once put an offer on a house where the owner hung himself in the garage.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
I don't care, although I did have to draw the line when we looked at one house years ago in Oakland, CA where the walls around the fireplace were covered in soot, and a check with the police department revealed that a woman had murdered her husband and tried to burn up his body.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:07 AM

546 posts, read 1,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't care, although I did have to draw the line when we looked at one house years ago in Oakland, CA where the walls around the fireplace were covered in soot, and a check with the police department revealed that a woman had murdered her husband and tried to burn up his body.

Oh my goodness! I know I could not buy that house!! As far as someone just dying in the home--I would think that is fairly common. I think I might feel differently about a murder or a suicide but if you are buying an older home that has had numerous previous owners I'm sure there is a chance a death has occured in the home.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:57 AM

219 posts, read 483,771 times
Not a problem for me, especially if I got a good deal on it. While I do believe in negative residual hauntings, a death happening in the home wouldn't stop me from buying it.

Now ... something like the gruesome turn of events in the Pettit case in Connecticut or that awful Castro man who kept all those women locked in his basement ... yes I know those homes have been destroyed/demolished, but had they not, I'm pretty sure I'd have to draw the line at living in one of those places, even if they were fully gutted and rebuilt.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:05 AM

26 posts, read 60,046 times
As long as i am not aware of it, then its all good.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:18 AM

6,472 posts, read 10,341,133 times
As long as it wasn't my own death, I don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate